PDA

View Full Version : rotator cuff report

titaniumed
10-11-2008, 10:33 PM
I have to admit, I was jumpy going into my shoulder surgery last Monday.You would think that I would get used to getting operated on. Everyone was telling me that rotator cuff surgery can be painful, well let me tell you, its a piece of cake! I didnt even need any pain killers! Wow do I have a pharmacy going on over here! You name it, Ive got it!

At 8.5 months post scoli surgery, and my shoulder finally fixed, I am almost pain free!!! On a 1-10 scale, Im barely hitting a 1. Its just absolutly amazing!

I did get my hospital reports,(150 pages) and they did use BMP-2 on me with "Peek" cages. It was interesting reading about the OSI tables that are used for scoli surgeries, the technology used today is absolutly fantastic!

anyway, some good news

Ed

Geish
10-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Hey Ed!
That's great to hear. I am so glad the surgery went well for you. I'll be heading back in on my birthday to have a piece of hardware removed that has been causing some pain. I'm hoping mine goes as well as yours did. So when is the next dive trip planned?

debbei
10-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Good for you Ed!! I'm thrilled that you are feeling better. You really are a pro at being operated on. I'm just a big fat chicken. :)

titaniumed
10-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Debbe
Ive got news for you. We are all chickens. Its kinda like flying, after thousands of flights, I still get jumpy on planes, and always have to fly through a hurricane! You just get on and go. You will do fine on Wed, just keep us posted.

Geish
Good luck with that crossmember. It shouldnt be that bad.I still have my arm in a sling,then PT. Chances are, I wont dive till next spring with all the challenging business scenarios coming up.

UUUrrrraaahhhhhhhhhh!!!

Oh I almost forgot,
Please fasten your seat belts

discombobulated
10-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Ed,

How fantastic that you're just about pain-free!! Hope your surgical "adventures" are over for now, though.

You've got me super curious - what do you know about the tables they do scoli surgery on?? I'm always fascinated with the technology & science of it all, lol.

Goodluck with the rest of your recovery.

titaniumed
10-12-2008, 01:05 AM
This is the table I was operated on for my back

OSI American sold to Japanese a few years ago

http://www.mizuhosi.com/jacksonSpine.cfm

The table that I had to climb on for my shoulder was engineered to the hilt. I dont know who made it. It was very high and narrow and getting on it was a challenge being fused. The surgeon doesnt even have to bend over. Tons of optics equipment and so forth surrounded the table.

Have fun

Ed

discombobulated
10-12-2008, 05:37 AM
Cheers, Ed. Looks great, though I'm surprised it couldn't at least be adjusted down so you could climb aboard easier!

debbei
10-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Ed,

OMG that table is so cool! I wish the pictures were a little bigger so that I could see that 'head stabilization' better.

Pooka1
10-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Modern medicine. It certainly can be grand.

So glad you found relief.

titaniumed
10-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Yes, we are lucky and fortunate to be living in an age of modern medicine. In another 20 years, everyone will look back at 2008 as the "stone age"

I was close to doing scoli surgery back in 1975 and I decided to wait. Scoli surgery is very scary, especially for younger people. I feel that we are some of the bravest people on this planet. The older scoli patients that had their operations years ago were even braver.

My decisions to have surgery were basically all about pain. Some will say, go and get it fixed now and be over with it, and the ones that wait will benefit from improvments in technology. Its a tough,tough decision.

Susie*Bee
10-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Ed-- that's great to hear how well you are doing! Thanks for giving us the update! My surgeon used a Jackson table with me also, so it's kind of fun to see what it looks like. Can't wait to hear about your first dive post-op next spring. How exciting for you to know that will be a possibility again. Your underwater pics are so cool. :cool: Take care! Susie

loves to skate
10-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi Ed,
I'm so glad that your shoulder surgery went well. Yes it is truly amazing how these Doctors can fix us up almost as good as new. Are you wearing one of those large padded slings and have to keep it on 24/7? Just behave yourself and do you PT like you are supposed to do and your shoulder should be perfect once everything heals.

Thanks for the link to the Jackson table. I was out before I left the holding area, so never saw the table at all.

Take care and keep us updated when you start your PT.
Sally

titaniumed
10-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Sally
Yes Im wearing the padded sling. Im going to be Napoleon for Halloween. Yes I will practice my French.

I was out also before entering the operating room. My vascular surgeon came into the staging area and he was the one who inserted the IV, in 2 seconds flat, and bang I was out. No screwing around there, he said he had some work to do on me and wanted to get started. I wanted to see the operating room but that didnt happen for my scoli surgeries. Pam was lucky to get her pics of her operation. I would have loved to had some video shot of mine.

In my hospital report it mentioned that they used a "tower of power". I wondering what that is? anybody know? I suspect that is is a jig of some kind, for aligment.

bonsoir
Ed

Suzy
10-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Hey there Napoleon!

Did I not tell you shoulder surgery was going to be a piece of cake compared to scoli? Geeze, no one believes me till after the fact, EVER!! LOL!! So happy to hear all is going well.
Don't worry about not diving till next year, I am picking up your slack. I will talk to you soon.
Best wishes always, Suzy