Minimally invasive lumbar surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimally invasive lumbar surgery?

I just joined this forum, and am facing my first surgery for scoliosis. I have surgery coming up in November for a 57 degree lumbar curve. My surgeon plans an anterior/posterior approach. Anticipating 8 hours, 8 fusions from the back, 3 also from the front.

I had heard of minimally invasive techniques, but when researching, found that it looks as though only thoracic curves can be done this way.

Does anyone have experience with minimally-invasive lumbar fusion?
    Lisa MS
    age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
    Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
    Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
    Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Even thoracoscopic curves aren't treated accurately this way (not for scoli fusion, anyway). That's why SRS surgeons don't use the approach ... it begats a sub-par result.

It was like the little thought that was ... then wasn't. I hoped for the same thing when I looked at surgery in late '07, and was very disappointed after all the outdated data I'd read on the web that appeared current.

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Lisa,

It looks like Pam's already answered your question, but I just wanted to pop in & say welcome & wish you all the very best for your surgery.

I've never heard of a minimally-invasive scoliosis fusion of any kind, but here's to hoping it'll be available one day!

Regarding your other question about migraines, I'm sure someone else will be able to answer it better, but.... I guess it comes down to the cause of your migraines - they can be due to vascular issues &/or nerve issues, both which *may* or may not be affected by scoliosis. A friend of mine recently had a cervical spine (neck) fusion which has helped considerably with her migraines, as she had nerves & arteries to her brain being pinched & causing her migraines.

I don't get migraines, but do find that when my curves are going downhill, I get chronic, BAD tension headaches (with frequency & intensity directly proportional to the worsening of my spine) - these are largely due to my neck muscles being strained by my worsening spinal position; after my 2 prior fusions, these have eased up considerably & I expect the same from my upcoming surgery.

I suppose a reasonable indicator of the possible effect of fusion surgery on your migraines might be whether or not your migraines have worsened in frequency &/or intensity as your spinal curve has worsened. If they have, it's possible that the surgery may help.

I really hope that the surgery does help you out. All the very best for it

Take care.

Comment

Thanks for the info &amp; encouragement!

Pam and the post from Australia,

Thanks for your info. It sounds like I don't need to knock myself out trying to find a minimally-invasive surgeon, if that's not really an option. And come to think of it, my migraines have gotten worse over the past 5 years or so.

BTW, my daughter has been living with an Aussie from Sydney for almost 3 years. We were there to meet his family & travel some last November/December. We love Australia!

Lisa
        (age 46)
        Lisa MS
        age 46

Comment

Hi Lisa,

Glad that AussieLand's been a hit with your family I love it here, too, though I've never been down Sydney way. I'm so thankful for the Australian health-care system - nowhere near perfect, but the public system pays for all necessary surgeries & many electives, too + hospital stays, & subsidises medications/doctor visits/etc. for low-income earners. I am seriously lucky.

Anyhow, hurry back to Oz - we love meeting travellers

I really hope the surgery helps out with your migraines.

Comment

Dear Disc,

We didn't get to Queensland this last time (mostly Syndey area and South Coast), but I would love to. Will let you know if we ever get back. You'd be welcome to visit us in Colorado, as well. We love hosting foreign guests--we've traveled widely and have lots of international friends.

I read some of your other postings and was amazed at the extent of the physical challenges you are dealing with. Here I was feeling sorry for myself with both MS and scoliosis!

I hope your surgery goes well. That's my son's birthday, so maybe it will be a good day.

Hugs and prayers
            Lisa MS
            age 46

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
              Even thoracoscopic curves aren't treated accurately this way (not for scoli fusion, anyway). That's why SRS surgeons don't use the approach ... it begats a sub-par result.

It was like the little thought that was ... then wasn't. I hoped for the same thing when I looked at surgery in late '07, and was very disappointed after all the outdated data I'd read on the web that appeared current.
              Precisely what our surgeon said. I was hoping for the minimally invasive approach for my daughter but was quickly disabused of thinking it was a good solution.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
              X