PDA

View Full Version : 8 Days till surgery and youngest child has LICE!

debbei
10-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Oh boy, I need this like a hole in the head. I'm off to treat her with the lice stuff now. I'm itchy all over just thinking about it. I pray to God that I don't get it. Then a nice evening of laundry and vaccuming trying to contain these little monster bugs. :(

loves to skate
10-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Hey Debbe,
Is your last name Murphy? What else can go wrong. Your poor child must feel terrible. I guess it is meant to keep your mind off of you own worries. How long does the treatment for that last? It used to be labor intensive in my day. I hope that has changed in the last 35 years. I'll be thinking of you. Sally

JenniferG
10-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Eeek! I used to hate the little blighters too. Hopefully, you'll get them all with the first treatment, then your husband can do the follow up. These things are sent to try us!

Susie*Bee
10-07-2008, 08:10 PM
So sorry to read about this... :eek: It's been many years (close to 20!) since I had to deal with a daughter getting lice, but it happens, is never expected, and is a royal pain. You'll get through this added challenge. I'm thinking of you!

rtremb
10-08-2008, 12:15 AM
If you don't want to use the pesticide treatment try Tea Tree Oil Shampoo. It works great and can be found in health food stores.

Ginger W.
10-08-2008, 12:39 AM
SOME DAY you are going to laugh about all this!!!

txmarinemom
10-08-2008, 01:25 AM
I'd be thinking about checking into a hotel at this point, babe ;-). LOL!

(... under the name Debbe Murphy, of course. Classic, Sally.)

Actually, Ginger's right ... you WILL laugh about this later (and, sorry, but so will we ... what are friends for? ;-).

If it comes down to it (i.e., you catch the critters), I'm sure they can de-louse you at the hospital - and your family can treat the house and the louse-y kid while you're gone.

It's just a thing. Breathe ... breathe ... breathe ...

Hugs,
P

debbei
10-08-2008, 05:30 AM
Thanks everyone, I will definitely look for that tea tree oil shampoo. Last night in the middle of the night I couldn't sleep, I told my husband I was afraid that during the surgery, a bug would CRAWL IN MY SPINE!! EEEUUUUUUU ICK!! And yes, I am sure I will laugh about it some day,....just not today!

discombobulated
10-08-2008, 07:39 AM
:eek:

Debbe,

So sorry to hear about all the hassles!! Perhaps you ought to buy a lotto ticket - something super lucky (even more than a spectacularly successful surgery!) has to be coming your way soon to make up for all this!

If it's any consolation, I'm sure the antiseptics used during surgery would slowly & painfully kill any little b***er who tried to climb in your spine :p :D

Wishing you the very best for the op & recovery - will be thinking of you much.

debbei
10-08-2008, 08:32 AM
:eek:

Debbe,

So sorry to hear about all the hassles!! Perhaps you ought to buy a lotto ticket - something super lucky (even more than a spectacularly successful surgery!) has to be coming your way soon to make up for all this!

If it's any consolation, I'm sure the antiseptics used during surgery would slowly & painfully kill any little b***er who tried to climb in your spine :p :D

Wishing you the very best for the op & recovery - will be thinking of you much.

I'm getting my hair colored on Monday; I wonder if that would kill them? LOL When it rains it pours. I like your lottery ticket idea. :)

Qikdraw
10-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Oh no! Thats horrible!

I hope you get all those little buggers!

One word of advice... In the next few days until your surgery, NEVER ask yourself, or others, 'How much worse can it get?'. You probably will not like the answer.

Brad

debbei
10-08-2008, 04:25 PM
that's true Brad, I will not say it! Right now I've got her hair smothered in Cetaphil Mousturizer for extra dry/sensitive skin, with plastic wrap on top. I'm leaving her to 'bake' for 2 hours, then will comb out all the bugs/nits/eggs that come out and wash. This is the home remedy that my surgeon's office recommended.

The tea tree oil shampoo I used today worked great, it was very soothing. I dont think I had anything up there, or if the itchiness was all in my imagination.

I will keep you guys posted on the bug alert level in our house! :)

theizzard
10-10-2008, 04:29 AM
i just wanted to log in and wish you good luck for your upcoming surgery. As strange as it might be I am envious of you because you are ready to go and I am still picking a doctor..
take care very good care of yourself and see you on the other side.
avis:D

sunnyday
10-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Debbei,
It's a little early, but just want to wish you a successful surgery and recovery. I was late in getting in touch w/Nancy Joy and I want to be sure to send my best wishes to you ( and your family) in plenty of time. Aren't you having fusion from T-4 to sacrum? I forget exactly.Anyway, I know it's on the 15th. Let us know how it goes. ....Stephanie

debbei
10-11-2008, 04:47 AM
Thank you Avis & Stephanie. I appreciate all your good thoughts.

JenniferG
10-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Thinking of you Debbei. Not long now. I can't imagine what it's like for you right now. I think we should all be given knock out pills and sleep through the last week. That way you wouldn't even know your youngest had nits!;)

Be good to yourself and take care.

Jen

debbei
10-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Thinking of you Debbei. Not long now. I can't imagine what it's like for you right now. I think we should all be given knock out pills and sleep through the last week. That way you wouldn't even know your youngest had nits!;)

Be good to yourself and take care.

Jen

LOL that's funny. My last day on the job (contractor position) was yesterday, and my boss said that during the next 6 months of the world financial crisis, I could be in a daze and not even know it :) , and then when it's all over, the economy is doing better and they are hiring again, I could go back.

Sounds like a plan to me!!

WNCmom
10-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Debbei:

I'm leaving town for a week on Monday, but want you to know I'll be thinking of you on the 15th.

Mary Ellen

LisaMS
10-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Debbei,

Sounds like our stories are similar--I'm 46, had a brace 1976 to 1980, and am facing surgery a couple of weeks after you are.

I will be praying for you on Wednesday, as well as before and after. Hoping to reading positive posts from you afterwards, saying how much better it went than you were fearing! But if that's not the case, we'll be here for you.

Much love,
Lisa

debbei
10-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Debbei,

Sounds like our stories are similar--I'm 46, had a brace 1976 to 1980, and am facing surgery a couple of weeks after you are.

I will be praying for you on Wednesday, as well as before and after. Hoping to reading positive posts from you afterwards, saying how much better it went than you were fearing! But if that's not the case, we'll be here for you.

Much love,
Lisa

Lisa,

You're not kidding we are similar. Same age, I had the brace the same years as you did, although the last year I think was just for sleeping. How ironic that they considered us such successes with the brace. :(

I am a lot calmer than I thought I would be at this point, I guess because so much is going on in my life. I just wish that it were already one month from now and I was through it already!

Good luck to you too.

loves to skate
10-12-2008, 10:08 PM
I am a lot calmer than I thought I would be at this point, I guess because so much is going on in my life. I just wish that it were already one month from now and I was through it already!

I'm thinking of you and before you know it, you will be one month into recovery. It's just that before you have the surgery, time goes by oh so slowly, but once you get through the surgery, time starts to fly again. Just think positive thoughts.
Sally

str8nnup
10-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Debbe,

I just wanted to give you my best before Wednesday. I will keep you in my prayers. I hope to see/hear posts on you next week. Best wishes on your surgery and a speedy recovery!
Take care and talk to ya soon.