Physical/Cosmetic Effects of Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical/Cosmetic Effects of Surgery

Hello, I am Daniel and I am new here. To be honest I only joined really because I wanted to know the answer to some questions and I can't find them any where really.
    I am 17 years old and I have one curve that is around 60 - 70 degrees.
    I was wondering about some of the cosmetic effects that happen after surgery, because I am trying to weigh up some of the positives and negatives of surgery.
    So if anyone could help answer these questions I would be very grateful :
    1. One one side of my back it is very flat and it is as if there is no muscle there, and on the other side their is a big hump. I was wondering whether surgery would reduce this hump and whether I might be able to get muscle over time on the other time, and make it look even or normal, because at the moment it doesnt look very good at all.
    2. Will I end up a bit taller?
    3. My upper body is a bit small compared to my lower body at the moment, will this change?
    4. Will the rib hump that comes forward on my front not be there after surgery?
    5. Does surgery leave long lasting scars?
    6. Does surgery generally cause long term pain?
    7. How much mobility am I likely to have? More or loss in my upper body? I love playing golf, will this be effected?

I would be very grateful if people could help me with this, Im not fully sure about the details of the surgery, but I think it will be a pretty normal procedure.

Originally posted by ScolioDan View Post
    1. One one side of my back it is very flat and it is as if there is no muscle there, and on the other side their is a big hump. I was wondering whether surgery would reduce this hump and whether I might be able to get muscle over time on the other time, and make it look even or normal, because at the moment it doesn't look very good at all.
    3. My upper body is a bit small compared to my lower body at the moment, will this change?
    7. How much mobility am I likely to have? More or loss in my upper body? I love playing golf, will this be effected?
    These are questions for your experienced pediatric orthopedic surgeon to answer.

In addition to those answers, I can offer the following based on a dataset of one...

1. Likely. They can de-rotate you and hold it pretty well with the screws and rods.

2. Likely. A bit.

3. Don't know. I will mention that the ratio of the upper body to lower body you mention, plus the fact that you have scoliosis in the surgical range, is sometimes (NOT ALWAYS) associated with certain genetic issues... PLEASE ASK YOUR DOCTOR THIS EXACT QUESTION.

4. Same answer as for #1 as it is the same issue, a rotation.

5. Yes.

6. No.

7. Don't know.

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I agree with the previous reply. Everyone here can offer information based on their own experience but your doctor would be better able to answer your questions. Here's my answers based on my daughter's experience:

1) Not sure.

2) Maybe. My daughter only gained about 1/2 inch compared to others who have gained up to 2 inches. It all depends on the procedure your doctor does.

3) Not sure.

4) Possibly. Don't count on your back looking like everyone's though. My daughter's back looks much better than before surgery, but it is far from perfect. Her left shoulder blade still sticks out.

5) Yes. However, my daughter's scar is about 14 inches longer and has faded over the years to a very light, thin line.

6) Jamie was off all pain meds within two weeks of surgery. Others are still on pain meds for several months. Everyone's recovery is different. A lot of it depends on how long the fusion is, how you tolerate pain, etc.

7) It depends on how long your fusion is. My daughter is fused from T3-L2 and goes to the driving range, plays mini-golf and has gone to a par 3 course many times since surgery. She is not serious about golf, but she can still do everything I mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hello, I am Daniel and I am new here. To be honest I only joined really because I wanted to know the answer to some questions and I can't find them any where really.
        I am 17 years old and I have one curve that is around 60 - 70 degrees.
        I was wondering about some of the cosmetic effects that happen after surgery, because I am trying to weigh up some of the positives and negatives of surgery.
        So if anyone could help answer these questions I would be very grateful :
        1. One one side of my back it is very flat and it is as if there is no muscle there, and on the other side their is a big hump. I was wondering whether surgery would reduce this hump and whether I might be able to get muscle over time on the other time, and make it look even or normal, because at the moment it doesnt look very good at all.

I would be very grateful if people could help me with this, Im not fully sure about the details of the surgery, but I think it will be a pretty normal procedure.

ill let you knoe in 2 weeks. hopefully everything turns up well.

heres a question doh are the rods visible after surgery?

Comment

Welcome, Daniel.

Daniel, that hump on your back is caused by the side-to-side curvature and rotation of your spine. Depending on the correction they can achieve with surgery, it could be greatly diminished. Some people get less dramatic results. In some cases a surgeon will elect to do a procedure called a thoracoplasty (removing one or more ribs) and this can produce a better result. My curve was corrected from ±53° down to about 20°, and my rib hump was reduced (without a thoracoplasty) by about 50%.

In all likelihood. Some gain more height than others. I gained a measly 1/4" - LOL. From what I've seen here, *average* height gain is 1-2" ... sometimes more depending on the severity of the curve, and correction achieved.

I don't have an answer to that. Are you working them equally?

Maybe. Mine is completely gone post-op.

It leaves a permanent scar. Depending on your skin type, it may fade very quickly (mine did) ... it will always be there, but how visible it will be is impossible to say.

I'm 8 months post-op and have very little pain. ALL the original pain was gone when I woke up from surgery.

You didn't say where your curve is located. I'm fused from T4-L1, and I have virtually no loss of mobility. Thoracic fusions result in less mobility loss than fusions that extend below L1. Every lumbar level that's fused has a big impact on mobility. Does it mean you can't play golf? No, it doesn't. You may have to work to adjust your swing, and it will probably be a year before you're released for play (most surgeons will want you to wait that long until the fusion heals). At 8 months post-op, I'm released to play.

... Im not fully sure about the details of the surgery, but I think it will be a pretty normal procedure.
          Depends on your definition of "normal", and again, where your curve is located - and what levels are fused. The good news is most people your age tolerate the surgery very well and bounce back quickly.

Have you seen a surgeon yet? If so, who?

Best regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by arizo View Post
            heres a question doh are the rods visible after surgery?
            The rods themselves aren't visible, although if you're small framed (like me), you may be able to see a lump where the crossbraces are located. My bottom attachment point is at L1, and if I bend over the lump is visible - but it's not when I'm just standing.

Regards,
            Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Hey Daniel,

I had my thoracic fusion ten years ago, and then the rod was taken out 4 years later. The ops were not very painful, and I seldom feel back pain now. The lump was decreased. And since my fusion was at T instead of L, I didn't lose much mobility. But I have three scars on my back, a long one across the back, a short one near my lump (one or more of my ribs was taken out), and another short one down the pelvis (the surgeons took out some bones there to fuse my curve). They are still visible. I was a bit taller immediately after the op, and no more later (but I wonder whether it is because I seldom work out...) Don't count on the ops to make you perfect: my shoulders are still not even, which is fortunately not very apparent.

Well, this is just my case, a very serious case a decade ago. So you'd better ask more people. Anyway, if you or anyone else wants to know more of my case, feel free to email me: zhiyingma@uchicago.edu

Best wishes!

Zhiying

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                The rods themselves aren't visible, although if you're small framed (like me), you may be able to see a lump where the crossbraces are located. My bottom attachment point is at L1, and if I bend over the lump is visible - but it's not when I'm just standing.

Regards,
                Pam
                do they stand out alot?
                and if any1 has any after piks of this type of surgery want 2 post piks? thanks.

Comment

Thankyou all very much for your help.
                  I come from England and my surgeon would be Mr Marks, we have mentioned surgery but havent talked in detail yet.
                  Obviously I am quite pleased with the answers shown here because most of them seem to suggest that there are some quite positive effects from surgery.
                  I was quite concerned about the scars though, I googled scoliosis surgery scars and got a mix of image results, some being very unpleasant and some not so bad.
                  In the long term, what do these scars tend to look like?

Comment

Thankyou all very much for your help.
                    I come from England and my surgeon would be Mr Marks, we have mentioned surgery but havent talked in detail yet.
                    Obviously I am quite pleased with the answers shown here because most of them seem to suggest that there are some quite positive effects from surgery.
                    My one daughter had the surgery earlier this year. She is 13 yo. She was saying she was glad to have it very soon afterward. She was back in school full time at about 3.5 weeks after surgery. She looks completely normal and is pain-free. She will soon be off all restrictions.

I can't give enough credit to the researchers and surgeons who are responsible for this surgery. They must love knowing how much they help folks in such a short time.

I was quite concerned about the scars though, I googled scoliosis surgery scars and got a mix of image results, some being very unpleasant and some not so bad.
                    In the long term, what do these scars tend to look like?
                    I don't know. But I can tell you my daughter does not seem to care about her scar. She doesn't try to cover it or expose it. I think she doesn't think about it. And why should she? From her perspective, she is done with scoliosis for at least a few decades and hopefully for her entire life.
                    Last edited by Pooka1; 10-09-2008, 09:47 AM.
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Daniel

My daughter had surgery almost 1 year ago, she's 16 now and doing well, occasionally she still has some muscle/nerve aches and pains but overall doing great and looks beautiful.
                      I'll answer according to her results.

Very even now although her right shoulder blade still sticks out a bit but probably only noticeable to us.

My daughter gained 3.75" immediately after surgery but after "settling" in, she's still 3.25" taller than presurgery.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but Sheena was not proportional before surgery, legs appeared too long for her torso, now she looks perfect.

Depends on derotation probably. Sheena had severe rotation that was nearly 100% corrected (thus the great increase in height).

Yes, but not too bad and nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, Sheena wore a bikini for the first time ever this summer without hesitation.

Should not but definitely talk to your doctor about the risks.

I think this depends a lot on what levels you're being fused. Sheena's fused from T4-L4 so she's lost a lot of mobility in her back but it's improving. Dr. Lenke had a girl in his office who had the same length fusion but was 5 years post op and he said she was playing golf, so it's just a matter of time.

Good luck. I think most people are very happy with their outcome.

Comment

Okay thats very interesting, especially about how much height she gained. Its a shame that there is a possibility about my golf being limited but still.

Comment

Its a shame that there is a possibility about my golf being limited but still.
                          Your golf may be put on hold, yet not permanently affected.

My softball was the same. I wasn't able to play for a while ... I am now.

It's hardly a shame if you think of it in terms of "If I need surgery, and don't have it, my *golf game* will be the least of my worries.".

If you have a progressing 60-70° curve (and why is the range so wide, out of curiousity?), in another 10-20 years you'd not be playing golf at ALL.

Regards,
                          Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

Daniel

We could give a little more insight to some of your questions if we knew if you are a double or single curve and exactly what those curves are. Of course the angles and where they are located will depend on your exact procedure and how and which levels are fused.

I remember when I found out I had scoliosis back in 1975 and the Docs "suggested" a fusion operation. I was 16 years old and an active skiier. I wasnt exactly gung ho about having the surgery at that time since I was skiing so much.I didnt look at it as affecting my sport, I did the best I could with what God gave me and was very pleased.

I generally didnt have all that much pain at that age with 2 60 degree curves.That was probably due to all the exercize I was getting. Pain has a lot to do with the decision making process.

I skiied for all these years "HARD" and as I got older the pain started kicking in and that was when I was around 28 years of age. I had a good chiropracter who kept me going.

I had my surgery last January after all the years and it all turned out good. Things have improved dramatically in the last 33 years as far as surgery is concerned.

If you have a hump down low, generally on the left side,then you are probably corked down low. If your hump is on the upper right side, that would indicate that your curve is up high. I had a full fusion from T2 down to the pelvis, I had both humps and they are completely gone. People say my back looks normal now which is amazing since I had 2 70 degree curves.

Scars are permanent, most fade to a certain extent with age. The scars on my hands I recieved when I was younger are pretty much gone. (I actually had to look for them) I dont feel that they are all that big a deal for a guy. I have a scar on my chin that quite a few ladies have said that it was sexy.

I gained 4 inches in height after surgery and all the pre scoliosis pains and aches disappeared.

Golf is tough on the back. It doesnt mean you have to stop playing golf. Just play within your limits. You will find out that driving a bucket of balls or 2 might cause a little pain.

You will need x-rays on a regular basis (yearly) to see if you are progressing. If it is holding, you are good for now. If it gets worse, you will have to make a decision. Cobb angles are used for measuring spinal curves. Google it and learn about it and know what your angles are. Ask your Doctor "What are my Cobb angles?"

Remember, its your decision and nobody elses decision. Its also fine to not make a decision.This is not an emergency. There are a lot of us out there that have not had surgery and have had good lives. Get educated about scoliosis, accept it, and go play some golf!

Keep posting
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

My curve is not progressing I dont think.
                              My main concern is that I would not be able to play golf at all. Is there the possibility that my spine could be so rigid that I would have almost no rotation, thus making it almost impossible to play golf or another sport I like tennis.

Comment

Working...
                              X