Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Spinecor Appt. update

Hi Everyone,

First I'd like to thank everyone for all of their great advice and support. It was very helpful in preparing for our first appointment and being able to make Isabella as comfortable as possible.

It's been one week since our appt. with Dr. Rivard and Dr. Colliard and things are going well. Isabella measured 34 degrees out of brace and 14 degrees in brace. (Woo hoo!!!) Dr. Rivard was very pleased with these results and so were we. He did not expect to see that much of a correction. Dr. Colliard gave a teaching session with the brace which was amazing. She first showed us how to put the brace on,then took it off and handed it back to Isabella. She said "It's your turn now. Show me how you can put on YOUR brace." I thought this was wonderful because it is HER condition and it is HER brace. This gave her the confidence she needed to say, yes I CAN do this.

Well like I said it's been one week and things are going well now. The first day was very difficult getting used to the brace. I don't know how many times I cried ( not in front of Izzy). It broke my heart to see her so uncomfortable but I knew that in time, thiings would get easier and they have. By the third day, the spinecor was like her second skin. Her biggest complaint about the brace was the thigh straps, which she barely mentions now. She also does not like the v neck boddysuit. I looked on line at the bodysuits.com ones and I was wondering how everyone liked those. They look similiar but have the rounded neck that Izzy likes. (There also alot cheaper than the spinecor ones).

Our next appt. is Nov.6. I think it's just for any adjustments that may need to be made. So far, so good. We are thrilled with the spinecor brace and the freedom it has still allowed Isabella to have. She can still do everything she did before- play softball, climb trees, ride her bike, and just run around and be a normal kid.

Theresa

That's great news! I'm glad to hear she got a good correction in brace and even happier to hear that she is adjusting well.
    daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
    -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
    -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
    -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Hi Theresa,

I'm so pleased Isabella is taking to the brace so well; Imogen was the same, she slept in it the first night & didn't need any weaning in period. She had a few sore bits to begin with - the crotch straps were the worst, but nothing major.

Immy wore the Spinecor body suits for the first year, although they didn't have v necks Perhaps they've changed them. She now wears just a pair of short style knickers under the brace & finds this more comfortable, less fiddly and cooler. Consequently I have 8 extra small spinecor bodysuits taking up cupboard space. I could look into the cost of posting them to you if you like? (Some of them might have seen better days!).

Laura
      UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
      10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
      Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

Theresa

OMG!!!! Excellent news. That is a very good correction, We had a great 1st correction and it just keeps getting better. The bodysuit thing is a PAIN!! They did change from a scoop neck to a V neck although that doesn't bother my daughter. You may consider taking Laura up on the bodysuit offer. I have gotten used suits from poeople here, I just pay the shipping. When the snaps in the crotch wear out I have a seamstress put in metal snaps. They seem to last longer. Please feel free to call me ANYTIME!!!

We have our recheck coming up, I am sooooo nervous!!!
        from CT, USA
        6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
        8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
        10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
        10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
        10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
        4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
        8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
        2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
        3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

Thanks girls! We were really excited about the results too!. Christine, I know it's easier said than done, but don't be nervous. You've had amazing results so far. I'm sure everything will be fine. You'll be in our tthoughts.

Laura, thanks for the offer but unfortunately the bodysuits won't work. Even though Isabella is only 7, she is very tall for her age (4 ft 8in.) and is already in the large bodysuits. Jenn's daughter (crazyabout3kids) was recently put into the spinecor. Maybe she could use them.

Comment

Excellent news!! My daughter uses the bodysuits.com suits and likes them much better than the spinecor suits. She is a large in the spinecor and wears the xs in the bodysuits but check the size chart on the site it is pretty accurate. Jen likes the ballet neck and cap sleeve suit for 25.99. She also has the jewel neck with cap sleeves but the neckline shows with her shirts with those so she prefers the ballet neckline.

I also have two new spinecor suit in large if you or someone else wants them, Jen will not wear them. She only tried them on.

We have our next appointment with the ortho on the 27th and with her doctor on Nov. 17 for x-rays. Hopefully she will have continued good #'s.

Kathy

Comment

Thanks Kathy! Maybe I will take you up on that offer. Isabella would probably prefer the jewel or ballet neck but will still wear the spinecor ones. I think that it's just me, trying to make her feel as comfortable as possible. I think she has the right to be.

By the way, do you or anyone else have the exact website for the other bodysuits? I've tried several times and it takes me to 2 different bodysuits.com sites - one that's based in CT and another that leads me to other links to purchase suits such as spiegals, chadwicks, and so on.

Also, has anyone ever had the problem of the brace shifting? It's only happened maybe 2 or 3 times. Once when Izzy woke up and another time or 2 when she has come home from school. The part that has shifted is that plasitic piece in the front that you connect the crotch snaps to. It's only shifted maybe 1/2 inch, but this still worried both of us.

Thanks again for everyone's help and support.
              Theresa

Comment

Theresa

The site is bodysuit.com no s. I had the same problem. I could not find any small suits, my daughter is tall but very thin and I did not want any bunching under the brace. Rita at bodysuit was working with me to design a new style but she come in to some personal issues she had to take care of so we just have not communicated for a while. She did get kids suits however they had elastic leg band so I sent them back. I was trying to get a bodysuit desiged for our specific needs but I quess I just gave up.
                from CT, USA
                6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

Found it!

Theresa, have answered your question re brace movement on the spinecor thread as I couldn't remember where I'd seen it!

It's worth posting questions regarding spinecor straight on to that thread as we all check in there regularly & other threads can be missed.

Hope Issy's still doing well!

Laura x
                  UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                  10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                  Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

http://www.bodysuit.com/bodreg.html
                    Here is the one we use. Jen's brace does shift sometimes. Mostly after we wash it. The base needs to be straight and tight enough so when you try and move it the skin moves with it and it does move from the skin. That is how our ortho explained it. When I see hers has shifted I know I need to tighten it. If you are close enough to your ortho ask to go in. We did that when we first got the brace and he said come in and he would adjust it.

Originally posted by Izzy's Mom View Post
                    Thanks Kathy! Maybe I will take you up on that offer. Isabella would probably prefer the jewel or ballet neck but will still wear the spinecor ones. I think that it's just me, trying to make her feel as comfortable as possible. I think she has the right to be.

By the way, do you or anyone else have the exact website for the other bodysuits? I've tried several times and it takes me to 2 different bodysuits.com sites - one that's based in CT and another that leads me to other links to purchase suits such as spiegals, chadwicks, and so on.

Also, has anyone ever had the problem of the brace shifting? It's only happened maybe 2 or 3 times. Once when Izzy woke up and another time or 2 when she has come home from school. The part that has shifted is that plasitic piece in the front that you connect the crotch snaps to. It's only shifted maybe 1/2 inch, but this still worried both of us.

Thanks again for everyone's help and support.
                    Theresa

Comment

Thanks again Kathy! Unfortunately we're in Pittsburgh and we see Dr. Rivard in Montreal. Luckily we have our first 4 week check up on Nov. 6. We've tried to be more careful when Izzy is putting on her brace and I really haven't seen it move since then. I can' t believe how well she has adjusted to the brace. I'm so proud of her!!!!!!

Theresa

Comment

Working...
                      X