Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illiac screw removal at 18 months?

Hello again!
    I am now 18 months out from my surgeries. At the bottom of both rods there is long screw out to the illiac bone. These act like struts for support of the loooong fusion (see my signature below). My surgeon has said from the beginning these could be removed about 18 months later. Do they bother me? Yes. Part of the problem is that I have gone from a size 16 to a size 8. And no, I do not reccommend this "diet" for anyone!! Because now the hardware is very close to the surface, and can be painful at times- but not all the time.

My question is...has anyone gone through this?? It is a procedure done under local anesthesia, and with an overnight stay in the hospital. After what I have gone through in the past 18 months (did I mention that I had to have abdominal hernias repaired in March??), I am kind of hesitant to visit an OR anytime soon. Please send advice...and again I thank all of you wonderful people who blaze the trails and give us hope!
    Julie B. 65 (felt like 85...now feel like 55!)
    April 17, 2007 Anterior...replaced 4 lumbar discs
    April 18 Posterior..fused T2 to sacrum plus 2 long screws from rods out to ilium
    Great correction...loooong recovery!!!
Working...
X