Vision problems post surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision problems post surgery?

Anybody here have these problems? I was told it's a possible complication and the damage is permanent.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
    Anybody here have these problems? I was told it's a possible complication and the damage is permanent.
    I asked my surgeon about it last week. He said it is possible, although he has never had it happen to one of his patients. They seem to think that it has something to do with pressure on the eyes from being face down for so long. He said also, they don't bring the patient's blood pressue down as low as they used to. Previously they put patients heads in face cradles, but new thinking is that put pressue on the eyes, so now they put the patient's head in traction. Of course I had to ask him HOW they put the head in traction (I'm having surgery in 9 days), and he said they put 2 little PINS in the sides of your head!! I had to ask, didn't I?

Both my surgeon and Dr. Boachie told me that it is a very rare complication, so I'm chosing not to worry about it. I have too many other things to worry about

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Debbei, Yikes, it just keeps getting better doesn't it...<joking>

Not sure if I'd prefer vision problems or having my head supported by two pins for 5 hours. <joking again>

How are you feeling Deb, not long now? It's Nancy Joy's turn tomorrow, isn't it. I'm almost wishing it was me tomorrow, having it almost over, but mine's still 5 months away.

Thanks for your input Deb. Take care.

Jen
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I was just telling my husband that I think there is something wrong with the new contacts I got. I just got a new supply but the SAME script as before surgery, and I cannot see for a DARN at night!!! Everything is blurry, and during the day I have some slight vision issues with them. Before the surgery I was doing great!
        This is good to know!
        My One Crooked Momma blog
        Fused T1-L1 May 21st 2008
        From 51* to STRAIGHT! Thanks Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor

Comment

Originally posted by mmw View Post
          I was just telling my husband that I think there is something wrong with the new contacts I got. I just got a new supply but the SAME script as before surgery, and I cannot see for a DARN at night!!! Everything is blurry, and during the day I have some slight vision issues with them. Before the surgery I was doing great!
          This is good to know!
          I just wanted to say my guinea pigs LOVE the music on your blog! They are purring like little purring machines!

Thanks!

ps. Love the blog too!
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thank you! lol
            My One Crooked Momma blog
            Fused T1-L1 May 21st 2008
            From 51* to STRAIGHT! Thanks Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor

Comment

Hi MMW,

Just to let you know what my surgeon said about possible sight problems:

When they do occur (I think he put the rate at around 1 in 3000 spinal surgeries), the vision problems are limited to the peripheral visual fields rather than your general vision. This means that when looking straight ahead, the regions to either sides ("looking out of the corner of your eyes" as they say) is what is affected. I'm not clear on whether the vision problems would entail complete peripheral blindness or just a decrease in vision, but either way - they don't affect the entire visual field. But...it seems to be a mantra around here - "everyone is different"!

I would definitely get your prescription re-evaluated, though, if it's not working for you.

All the best to you. So glad you got a fabulous surgery outcome!

Comment

"Discombobulated"-
                Can you tell me who you surgeon was? I had surgery almost 2 years ago and for the past 2 months have had double vision when I look off to the right or left. There were 2 episodes when I had double vision even looking straight ahead. I have been to a neurologist, had an MRI of my head-he can't find a thing. I have to wonder if something happened during my back surgery. I had started back to work full time when all this started, and I felt really run down (I need to find a new job with less stress and fewer hours!), so I wonder if I had had a slight vision problem all along and the fatigue somehow made it worse-? I would love to have answers! I am going to a neuro-ophthalmologist next, but can't get in to see her for 2 more months. Any comments would be appreciated- thanks!
                Cathie

Comment

My doctor is going to be using Gardner Wells tongs (traction) during my operation on Wednesday. He said in addition to reducing the risk of blindness (which I am totally freaking out about), he said it also prevents you from developing pressure sores on the face...which is very common with long surgeries when your face is placed in a cradle. Anyway, anyone have this done to them during surgery??

Comment

Originally posted by jesscv View Post
                    My doctor is going to be using Gardner Wells tongs (traction) during my operation on Wednesday. He said in addition to reducing the risk of blindness (which I am totally freaking out about), he said it also prevents you from developing pressure sores on the face...which is very common with long surgeries when your face is placed in a cradle. Anyway, anyone have this done to them during surgery??
                    I don't know the name of the system, but yes, my head was in traction during my 9 hour surgery and everything was fine with my eyes. I think I remember feeling little scabs somewhere in my hairline behind my ear, but they quickly went away.

Good luck, and I know you'll be just fine.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                    X