Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here that had scoliosis surgery in there 20's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here that had scoliosis surgery in there 20's?

I would love to hear ur stories and how going back to school was for you(if your in school that is)! I am considering surgery and just looking for some comfort!
    Thank You
    Amanda

Hi Amanda, I was 24 when I had my surgery in Feb. 2007. I had one curve and it measured at 80 degrees. I returned to classes online after 5 days post op. I don't know what I was thinking at the time, but my school worked with me.

Comment

5 days?? I'm in awe, Amanda! Glad your school worked with you on that one, Amber!

Amanda, I haven't yet had scoli surgery in my 20s, but my first 2 were when I was 12 & 14, + I have another revision coming up in December this year (I'm 22 now). Exemplified by Amber - everyone's recovery is different, & it depends a lot on how extensive your scoli surgery will be. When I had my T3-L3 fusion & again when I had my L3-pelvis fusion, I had the surgery in high school holidays, then took the whole of the next term off from school (but did work on study that was sent home for me, a couple of hours a day with plenty of naps). In the first few weeks, pain was the major problem, but even as that eases, the EXHAUSTION of surgery lingers for a long while.

This time around will be my biggest surgery ever - 9-10+ hrs expected, & I have higher-than-average chance of post-op complications, + other medical issues to deal with. Sooo....just yesterday I made the final (horrible) decision to put off the study for the entire of next year, so I don't have to freak out about study starting when I'm still recovering. I think I'd probably be ready by mid-year, but my university doesn't accept mid-year entry into my major.

I guess the point of the rambling is - everyone is SO individual! If you could have the surgery during Summer-break (that's the one that lasts a couple of months in the US?), you may well be ready to ease back into the new year of study. Some things you could do to help smooth/speed recovery is to make sure you're reasonably fit (get a little cardio exercise into your day, eat healthily), & you can build up a little muscle (esp. abdominal & leg muscles).

Hope this helps some.

By the way - I don't want to freak you with the fact that some of us here have had more than the one scoli surgery - it's rare, the vast majority of original scoli surgeries work like a charm.

Comment

amber24 and discombobulated

Thank You discombobulated and amber24 for responding.
        to answer ur ^ question the summer break in the US is 3 months. So I've heard that it normally takes 3 months for good recovery but it might take longer... hopefully not! I will be turning 22 on oct. 16 a few days away lol
        i have read some you ur posts and seen what you went thru... how did u keep a level head? Thats amazing!!!

amber24 thats great to hear that your school worked with u? do u live in the US? what school did u go too

Comment

Discombobulated, Thank you! I was to start school in March and already registered when I went in for my pre-op in Jan. and my surgeon scheduled my surgery for the end of Feb. I knew it was going to be rough, but I didn't want to give up!

Amanda, I will be honest, it was tough and a long recovery. My fusion is from T1-L4. I don't really remember much of my hospital stay. I do remember the pain and for the most part it was under control. I know I had to get a blood transfusion and my oxygen and blood pressure were really low and I got my period the following day after surgery. I do remember walking for the first time and wearing the uncomfortable brace. I did have to get readmitted 2 weeks after my surgery because they thought I had a spinal infection.

I really have to give the credit to my family for supporting and encouraging me through it all! There are ups and downs! I had times when I was happy and then times I was crying...emotional roller coaster!

Yes, I live in Ohio and my surgery took place here.

Comment

Amanda,

By 3 months you should be feeling MUCH better - everyone is very different, but I'd expect you'd be off pain meds by then, & certainly up & about. Do remember to factor in for becoming very tired quite easily, even up to 6-12 months, but slowly getting better. You will get there!

By the way - do you know how many degrees your curve is or what levels your surgeon wants to fuse? Among many other things, these will also affect your surgery & recovery.

All the very best with making a decision & with the surgery if you choose it. Please keep bombarding the board with all the questions/worries that you have. There are some amazing people here. And I have some free time on my hands, so I'll be around a fair bit, too, if there's anything I can help answer.

Take care.

--

Amber - SO glad you didn't have an infection. That's my #1 fear, so it's always good to hear when people make it through safely. Goodluck with the studies.

Comment

discombobulated, thank you! I ended up graduating 4 months after surgery!

Amber

Comment

I am in the same situation. I just turned 20 and am considering having surgery. Unfortunately I was just told that am not able to see my current surgeon anymore because I am too old! So after 10 years with the same doctor, I have to find a new one for surgery. I am a college student so I would probably do it in may because summer break is my only time off. That will give me 3 months so hopefully I'll be ok to go back in the fall.
                Sarah
                22 year old grad student
                Boston brace from 12-14
                surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
                Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
                Thoracic curve 47*
                Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
                http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Comment

hey sarah105 if u don't mind me askin where do u live? and wat doc are u looking at?
                  i live in NY so maybe we could work together?

Comment

i will be, im 21 and had been debating on getting the surgery for 3years now

its gona suck because im always up and about, either clubing, at the gym or playing sports.

and im going to be out of commission for a while, i think i might go crazy.

Just the hospital stay is going to be a lil over a week. but ill be checking in during my stay
                    Last edited by arizo; 10-08-2008, 06:08 PM.

Comment

The first doctor I seen made me feel like I should get a second opinion. The second doctor I found was one that specialized in scoliosis and he made me feel comfortable with his knowledge. I think you get that good feeling when you pick who you want your surgeon to be.

Best wishes with your searches!

Comment

Amanda-I'm from southeast CT (although i'm actually in school in dc). I would be having the surgery in CT because it will be easier to be with my parents. I am seeing two doctors over christmas break, Dr. Krompinger at Hartford Hospital (he's the one my pediatric hospital refered me to) and Dr. Grauer at Yale in New Haven. I guess I'll decide from there. If anyone knows of any other good doctors in that area let me know.
                        Sarah
                        22 year old grad student
                        Boston brace from 12-14
                        surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
                        Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
                        Thoracic curve 47*
                        Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
                        http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Comment

I had my surgery just over 4 months ago, and I was 27 at the time of surgery, and I turned 28 a few weeks ago. Oh and I am a mother to 2 boys, 5 & 2!
                          My One Crooked Momma blog
                          Fused T1-L1 May 21st 2008
                          From 51* to STRAIGHT! Thanks Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor

Comment

Originally posted by sarah105 View Post
                            Amanda-I'm from southeast CT (although i'm actually in school in dc). I would be having the surgery in CT because it will be easier to be with my parents. I am seeing two doctors over christmas break, Dr. Krompinger at Hartford Hospital (he's the one my pediatric hospital refered me to) and Dr. Grauer at Yale in New Haven. I guess I'll decide from there. If anyone knows of any other good doctors in that area let me know.
                            Hi, My daughter (age 17) had surgery in CT last February her doctor was Dr. Brian Smith at Yale and he did a fantastic job - couldn't have gone better You can pm me if you want more info.
                            Good Luck!
                            Samsmom
                            Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
                            42 Degree Lumbar Curve
                            Fused T-4 to L-2
                            Yale New Haven
                            2/5/08

Comment

Hi Amanda!
                              I've actually had 2 surgeries both while in school because the first one didn't really work (don't worry about that happening to you though...it rarely happens). Anyway, I had my first surgery at the end of June the summer before my senior year in high school. I was fine going back to school by the time school started except I would get tired pretty easily still...a couple weeks into the school year that went away too though. I had my second surgery this past summer at the end of May (I will be 6 months post-op this friday ). The three months was more than enough time for me to recovery before my classes started. I would still have pain but nothing that a tylenol couldn't take care of. Everyone is different but in my experience, I'm sure that the summer would be enough time for you to recover.

Good luck finding a surgeon that you like!!! Please let me know if you have anymore questions!!!

~Katie
                              20 year old college student
                              Pre-op: 3 curves (30-50-30 degrees)
                              Spinal Fusion: T4-L1 June 2005
                              Broken rod/failed fusion found Jan. 2007
                              Revision surgery:May 21, 2008 - Dr Tribus @ UW Hospital in Madison (found only 2 levels fused from previous surgery)

Comment

Working...
                              X