To surgery or not to surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To surgery or not to surgery?

I am new to this forum and have a question for those of you have let your curve progress. I am 34 years old and my thoracic curve has progressed about a degree a year. It is now at 60 degrees. My lumbar curve is holding steady at 28 degrees. I am at the beginning stages of considering surgery. I am wondering if I do not do sugery, what will it feel like to be in my 40s at 70 degrees and 50s at 80 degrees, etc. Any thoughts from those who have and have not done surgery would be very appreciated.

To surgery or not to surgery

Hi Tree,

I am new here as well. I ignored my Scoliosis from age 13 to 57. It was not obvious and I had no symptoms until my 50s when I first noticed the progression, around age 54. As I said in my post, I lost 6 cm in height in the last few years but fortunately, no pain.

My dr. told me that I can leave the operation but will need it eventually because in 10 years, my current 66 degree curve, will be 90 degrees and I WILL be in pain and quite deformed. And the younger you have the operation, the better the outcome and faster the recovery. So for me, it didn't take a lot of persuading.

He gave me the phone number of a former patient, who had the operation aged 54, and she had a good outcome, apart from a few numb spots which don't bother her. Out of all the complications and risks he listed, a few numb spots won't worry me, if that's my only problem!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Tree,

I am a 32 year old woman who was diagnosed at age 5. My first fusion was at age 14 and I needed it because as the spine was twisting inside me it also caused other problems with my breathing. If you decide not to do the surgery your breathing, other organs will have problems. The longer you wait and not do the surgery, the harder it would be to correct the curve!

And the younger you are the better you heal. I would suggest to get into some physical conditioning to prepare your body and mind. It will be fine. I know things probably seem overwhelming for you.

There are a lot of knowledgable people on this forum. Also very supportive people. Glad to meet you and I would have to say that I wish this would of been around when I was a teenager dealing with my Scoliosis. But I am sure glad to be here now.
      Adrienne
      1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
      1993 Rod Removal
      1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
      2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
      Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
      Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

In most cases surgery should not be necessary, despite what orthopedists may say. Browse around this forum (searching on the word Schroth or Scroth) to read about a system that has a high ratio of success avoiding surgery.

Jennifer, there is a Schroth therapist in Toowoomba, Queensland. Sabine Kehoe, who is German, learned the method in Germany years ago during her physical therapy training.

Contact is: sabine.kehoe@gmail.com

The point about increasing scoliotic curves restricting breathing is valid. The Schroth method aims to increase vital capacity, among other goals, and usually succeeds. See:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...ubmed_RVDocSum

Comment

Hi
          Normally I dont have much to say. I cannot consider surgery for very basic reasons. Im a mom. I have no family. Im not wealthy by any means. What can I say (my curve is huge and weird, but my pain is managed for now*shrug*)

Other than that, the one biggest factor for folks(seems imho) to be uncontrolled pain & progression.

The points that I saw consistantly after reading everyone story.... Is the increadible amount of prepreation and planning they all went through fpr months before hand. Next thing? The immense amount of strength and courage it took each person the months following their surgeries. They all had to work so very hard to rehibilitate (ugh my spelling !!). So if you are at a point where you can and will be going through surgery speak with folks that visit the Surgical areas of forum.

*huggs*
          dani

Comment

Working...
          X