Counting down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counting down!

Well, I have 7 days to go. I am soooo ready. As I read the scoliosis surgery book again last night, I am ready for the 1st surgery and can't even deal with the thought of the second surgery, so I will just focus on the 1st one on the 8th. Really, what I am ready for is to start getting recovery underway so I can get better quicker. I have everything under control at work and Friday is my last day so I have a few days to get the house in order, hubby packed for a week, etc. I have so little left after work that I am looking forward to some day time when my energy is highest. Everything I read is really encouraging to me. I know my recovery will be my own but it is great to hear everyone say- it was worth it! Anyway, wish me luck and say the prayers, please!
    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
    Age 54
    T10 to Sacrum
    Curve 65 degrees
    Very straight now!!!

Nancy Joy-- I am so excited for you! You DO sound ready and it brings back my own memories... You'll do just great and you'll be on the other side of the surgeries soon. I'll be praying for you--- and look forward to hearing from you when you're able. Big hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi NancyJoy,

I have and will be praying for you also and soon surgery number one will be all over. Will you be going to a rehab hospital afterward or going home between surgeries? After getting through the posterior surgery, I was not at all fearful about the anterior surgery. I guess I knew if I could get through a 12 hour surgery, then I could get through anything, plus I felt so well cared for by everyone and by God. Be well! Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

NancyJoy, YES ... your post brought back memories of impending pre-op that haven't crossed my mind (at 7 months post-op) in a ~while~.

It IS scary ... even when you're ready. You can read 1000 tales of recovery, and all or none of what you read may apply to you. A positive attitude - and determination - are the best weapons you can carry.

You sound like you're armed . I look forward to postitive reports!

Best regards (and big reassuring hugs!),
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Good luck Nancy Joy!! It's 14 days for me today. My last work day is 10/10 and I can't wait. It's a whirlwind of getting things in order, disability papers, house stuff, kid stuff, blah, blah, blah.....!

Plus on top of all of this my oldest is putting us through hell right now. I really don't want to get into the specifics, but OMG this is NOT the way I wanted to keep my mind off my surgery.

Anyway, good luck and I'm not sure if I'll hear how you're doing before I go in. I'll be looking forward to comparing stories with you afterwards.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Two fabulous women who are prepared and ready to go! It's far more scary on the 'front end' than the 'back end'! Recovery is just the business of getting a little better every day.

Keep the faith!

AND, know that you have a group of friends who can answer any post-surgery questions that arise. Well, MOST questions, that is!

Ginger
            Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
            May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
            Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Thanks for all the encouragement. Love's to Skate- that was great what you said about the 2nd surgery! Thanks- I will be going home in between. I am 3 hours from Kansas City but for my 2 week check my Dr. will have a clinic in our town here so won't have to go there in between surgeries either. Debbie- I will be thinking of you so much. Yes, I'll have 7 days under my belt but sure won't be at a computer. I am calling this "my extreme makeover" - my spine instead of teeth, breasts, etc. like on TV.
              Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
              Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
              Age 54
              T10 to Sacrum
              Curve 65 degrees
              Very straight now!!!

Comment

Hi Nancy,
                I called it my extreme makeover too, and boy was it ever! You'll be so happy you went through with this- I had my surgery (T4-S1) Dec '06 and I can so relate to how you feel right now! We all get through it and you will too! I will pray for you!
                Cathie

Comment

How are you feeling Nancy Joy?

are you getting everything under control? I am so far from ready. Have to do some shopping today for things I need.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

The world won't stop spinning ...

Debbe,

I freaked until the last minute working through a ridiculous list of things I thought I HAD to finish. Anyone here who remembers my lists will assure you I was a nut (albeit an extremely prepared one!). Read some of my posts in the few weeks prior to 2/5/2008 and you'll see what I mean.

Reality was (and this is coming from someone who recovered solo), there was nothing I missed that I either couldn't do without afterwards - or delegate someone to go get. Rely on people who have offered to help - it really does benefit them to know they're doing something too.

You're gonna be fine, honey, and you too, Nancy Joy! Y'all breathe ...

Regards,
                    Pam
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                    X