Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pain question (long I apologize)

hi all,

I have seen 3 doctors so far for consultations and have one left on 10/13 with Dr. Boachie. I saw Dr. Fras in the Philadelphia area and for such a young doctor, I was totally impressed. So far I have heard from 2 docs that I could just fuse l5-s1 to see if that's where the majority of my pain is coming from or I could fuse from t10 through pelvis and incorporate the l5-s1 in the process. My pain question is this. I have just begun having severe pain in my left groin area, which feels like there is an on fire baseball in there. It prevents me from getting into a car unless I virtually lay down and swing my leg in that way. When that acts up I also can't sit or put my foot on down w/o tremendous pain. the pain is also in my buttock region and down my left thigh. fortunately, this is not continuous but comes several times a day. has anyone else had this type of pain. as an aside, both of my hips have been replaced and my fear is that my left hip which is almost 9 years old is loosening. But i don't know. i have a doc's apt. on thursday so i should find out then but just curious if anyone else has experienced this type of pain originating in their back.
    thanks
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
    hi all,

I have seen 3 doctors so far for consultations and have one left on 10/13 with Dr. Boachie. I saw Dr. Fras in the Philadelphia area and for such a young doctor, I was totally impressed. So far I have heard from 2 docs that I could just fuse l5-s1 to see if that's where the majority of my pain is coming from or I could fuse from t10 through pelvis and incorporate the l5-s1 in the process. My pain question is this. I have just begun having severe pain in my left groin area, which feels like there is an on fire baseball in there. It prevents me from getting into a car unless I virtually lay down and swing my leg in that way. When that acts up I also can't sit or put my foot on down w/o tremendous pain. the pain is also in my buttock region and down my left thigh. fortunately, this is not continuous but comes several times a day. has anyone else had this type of pain. as an aside, both of my hips have been replaced and my fear is that my left hip which is almost 9 years old is loosening. But i don't know. i have a doc's apt. on thursday so i should find out then but just curious if anyone else has experienced this type of pain originating in their back.
    thanks
    avis

Avis,

I have had left thigh/groin pain since December and that's what led me to the scoliosis experts. Although, it did lessen and almost completely go away since August, but sometimes I feel twinges in there. Like last night laying in bed, it was starting to burn or itch or some other strange feeling I can't identify. For me, I am pretty sure it's the problems that I have between L2 and L3 and a little stenosis. My doctor says when he's in there he will fix that up too.

Good luck with your appointment on the 13th. I was very impressed with him.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Pain in the buttock region

Avis, I have that pain constantly and today I go for my second appointment with Dr. Boachie to discuss the findings of the MRI. He said I have spondylolisthesis, problems with L3/4, etc. That pain keeps me up at night as you can't get comfortable at all. It's quite frustrating. I had a facet joint injection end of July and it worked wonders but last week the pain has come back. I am having a second one next week but Dr. Boachie said in order to get rid of this problem I would need surgery, which I will discuss today. Good luck to you. LYNN
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

So it seems that besides needing to replace hips, scoliosis affects the groin area. It's reassuring in one way and not reassuring in another way. Debbei, if you don't mind saying, who is your surgery with?
        avis
        Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hi Avis,

I started having pain in my right hip groin area at least 10 years ago. It would suddenly cause me to stop walking, a feeling of giving out on me along with pain. If the Doctor's back then had done an x-ray of my pelvis rather than just my hips, they would have found out the cause of my hip problems. Of course, nothing was found on the hip x-rays and PT helped strengthen the muscles of my legs and hips, so the pain went away. Five or six years later the true cause came to light after a very serious attack of sciatica and a year of PT which didn't help. I wish Doctors would look at the whole person rather than just one part. I kind of blame HMO insurance for that, but what do I know. Keep us posted on what you find out. Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

so what came to light? what was the cause of the hip pain? having had 2 total hip replacements, this groin pain feels very similar to the bone on bone you get when you need new hips, which in my case could mean loosening somewhere on the prosthesis. I don't know which would be worse. hip or the back.
            avis
            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

So it seems that besides needing to replace hips, scoliosis affects the groin area. It's reassuring in one way and not reassuring in another way. Debbei, if you don't mind saying, who is your surgery with?
              avis
              Hi Avis,

Of course I don't mind. It's Dr. Neuwirth, also in NYC. I was there today for pre-op testing with the nurse practitioner, and I have my final appointment with him on Thursday. Dr. B and Dr. N agreed on the approach they would take with me, and Dr. N took my insurance.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

boy you are lucky about that. the insurance issue just hangs there waiting...
                avis
                Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

so what came to light? what was the cause of the hip pain? having had 2 total hip replacements, this groin pain feels very similar to the bone on bone you get when you need new hips, which in my case could mean loosening somewhere on the prosthesis. I don't know which would be worse. hip or the back.
                  avis
                  Hi Avis, With the lumbar scoliosis, my pelvis was tipped and twisted putting different or greater pressure on one hip joint than the other. The joint and muscles were not being used the way they were intended to be used so eventually they started complaining. The muscle that allows you to open your hips tightened up on one side which causes groin pain. That was the case with me. It may or may not be the case with you. Make sure the Doctor does an x-ray of the entire pelvic area and not just your hip. Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                  X