PDA

View Full Version : Is it really the weather??

Singer
09-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi all --
We're having a nor'easter here (three days of wind and rain) and I'm amazed at how stiff and sore I am -- about three times the norm. I always thought it was something of an old wives' tale that rainy weather makes orthopaedic problems worse but....apparently not?!

What puzzles me is that I made a lot of progress this summer and loved the heat and even the humidity -- it felt like a hot compress on my back. Why would rain bother me when humidity did not?? It's not especially chilly out, either.

I have that old feeling of walking around in the jaws of a bear trap again.

Is this normal at this stage in the game???????

!!!!
Thanks....

SandyC
09-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Singer,

From a purely non professional weather opinion I think it is the weather. :eek: Ithink it is the change in the barimetric pressure and not the cold per say that causes the stiffness and general discomfort. Just my experience and opinion :D
SandyC

trishthedish
09-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I agree...and Dr. Shelokov told me weather changes would be hard for me this first year.

Ginger W.
09-27-2008, 05:55 PM
SHOOT! I was hoping to skirt this nasty little problem. I certainly had it BEFORE surgery.

So far, it's an "Indian Summer" in the Rockies and I'm feeling great. I am not looking forward to those barometric pressure changes!

I'm sorry it's tough on you, Singer!

Qikdraw
09-27-2008, 07:19 PM
For me its a wet cold that gets me. Dry cold is fine, but a wet cold just goes right to the bone and does not like me.

The 6 years I lived in Vancouver, B.C. were not fun years.

Brad

Susie*Bee
09-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Sorry to hear about it Chris. I'll have to pay attention when our weather changes (it's supposed to this week) and see what happens. I forget to pay attention to things like weather and if it can be related...

debbei
09-28-2008, 06:26 AM
I agree...and Dr. Shelokov told me weather changes would be hard for me this first year.

Trish,

Did he say it's supposed to get easier after the first year? I met a man yesterday who was talking about the rods and screws he has holding his lower leg together for the last 20 years, and he was saying the same thing about weather changes making him ache.

Singer
09-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks all....

I woke up feeling much better today, and it's still nasty out.

I think occasional flare-ups (for whatever the reason) are part of the deal, but the good news is I hadn't had one in so long, it spooked me.

It's been one hell of a ride, but I really have come a long way.

trishthedish
09-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Debbei-I didn't think to ask if it would get better in subsequent years. I guess I assumed he just meant this year because I am still healing. I hope that's all it is.

Ginger W.
09-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Chris -

I'm glad to hear it's subsided.

I would guess that the first year might be more challenging.

Ginger

JoAnn5
09-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Changes in the weather make me achy too.. I agree it's the drop in the barometric pressure that's the culprit. Those are good OTC pain reliever days...lol