Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it really the weather??

Hi all --
    We're having a nor'easter here (three days of wind and rain) and I'm amazed at how stiff and sore I am -- about three times the norm. I always thought it was something of an old wives' tale that rainy weather makes orthopaedic problems worse but....apparently not?!

What puzzles me is that I made a lot of progress this summer and loved the heat and even the humidity -- it felt like a hot compress on my back. Why would rain bother me when humidity did not?? It's not especially chilly out, either.

I have that old feeling of walking around in the jaws of a bear trap again.

Is this normal at this stage in the game???????

!!!!
    Thanks....
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Singer,

From a purely non professional weather opinion I think it is the weather. Ithink it is the change in the barimetric pressure and not the cold per say that causes the stiffness and general discomfort. Just my experience and opinion
    SandyC
    SandyC

Comment

I agree...and Dr. Shelokov told me weather changes would be hard for me this first year.
      Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
      Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
      Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
      www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

SHOOT! I was hoping to skirt this nasty little problem. I certainly had it BEFORE surgery.

So far, it's an "Indian Summer" in the Rockies and I'm feeling great. I am not looking forward to those barometric pressure changes!

I'm sorry it's tough on you, Singer!
        Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
        May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
        Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

For me its a wet cold that gets me. Dry cold is fine, but a wet cold just goes right to the bone and does not like me.

The 6 years I lived in Vancouver, B.C. were not fun years.

Brad
          Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
          Still have 57 degree curve
          2 Harrington rods
          Luque method used
          Dr David Bradford
          Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
          Preop xray (with brace on)
          Postop xray

Comment

Sorry to hear about it Chris. I'll have to pay attention when our weather changes (it's supposed to this week) and see what happens. I forget to pay attention to things like weather and if it can be related...
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by trishthedish View Post
              I agree...and Dr. Shelokov told me weather changes would be hard for me this first year.
              Trish,

Did he say it's supposed to get easier after the first year? I met a man yesterday who was talking about the rods and screws he has holding his lower leg together for the last 20 years, and he was saying the same thing about weather changes making him ache.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks all....

I woke up feeling much better today, and it's still nasty out.

I think occasional flare-ups (for whatever the reason) are part of the deal, but the good news is I hadn't had one in so long, it spooked me.

It's been one hell of a ride, but I really have come a long way.
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Debbei-I didn't think to ask if it would get better in subsequent years. I guess I assumed he just meant this year because I am still healing. I hope that's all it is.
                  Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
                  Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
                  Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
                  www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Chris -

I'm glad to hear it's subsided.

I would guess that the first year might be more challenging.

Ginger
                    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
                    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
                    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Changes in the weather make me achy too.. I agree it's the drop in the barometric pressure that's the culprit. Those are good OTC pain reliever days...lol

Comment

Working...
                      X