Op was on May 21st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Op was on May 21st

Hi everyone havnt been on for a while, dont now exactly how many weeks i am post op.
    Well i ahve got a new car a higher up one now, and its nice and comfy which is good.

Now for the problems i have been fine and pain free since about 7-8 weeks post op, and on saturday i went for my first longish walk about 3-4 miles but with planty of breaks and that, and on sunday i was fine, i have also been driving my car quite a lot.

On monday mornign i woke up and couldnt move everytime i tried to move i have severe pain in my left hip and top of leg if i laid still i was ok, my mum had to help me get out of bed and she hasnt done that in months.
    I rang my doctor and although he dint examine me just went by what he said on the phone he thinks it might be my muscle i ahve never had problems with my left hip its always been my right and that one is fine now.
    Am i just being paronoid do you think and that it is only the muscles coming back to life when i couldnt move of course i panic, im moving now but it is still very painful to put weight on my left side.

Im hoping i havent done anything to damage my back or the surronding areas i cant get back to see my surgeon i ahve been told to wait and see how it goes.

Angela
    x
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Dear Angela,

That does NOT sound normal. I think you need to insist on an exam with your surgeon immediately, if not sooner. Let him know that the pain has persisted and you needed help to simply get out of bed.

If you can't get back into your surgeon right away, is there perhaps a really good physical therapist who has worked with you? Some well-trained P.T.s are capable of pinpointing your problem. However, I think your surgeon needs to see you.

No. You aren't being paranoid. Be assertive about your pain!!!

Best wishes,
    Ginger
    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Angela-- I agree 100% with what Ginger said. And yes, you need to be pushy. Keep us posted about it.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

hi thanks for the messages at the mo my docs are waiting my hip is better now and no pain in lower back either i have stabbing pain every now and then but my surgeon knows about that,
        They think it is only my muscle building up cause i havent done much for 4 months and then i went on a long walk and also a lot of driving my new car so they said it is probably D.O.M.S delayed onset muscle soreness...

I will let you know if it does come back they are sending me for x-ray and scan.

Angela
        Angela, 25 England.
        75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
        Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
        Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
        May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

Angela:
          You may have just overdone it. It's easy to do when one feels well and does too much ---only to pay for it they next few days. The body takes a long time to adjust to a better, straighter alignment.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
          X