Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost 3 Months Post-Op Update

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to give an update on how I'm doing. I'll be 4 months post-op at the end of the week. I started back to college about a month ago. It was very difficult for the first 2-3 weeks, but I'm in far less pain now. I'm only taking Percocet once a week before my 4 hour chemistry lab. I'm hoping to stop that in the next few weeks.

I've started to get that phantom itching that so many have had. I'm calling my surgeon about it tomorrow to hopefully get something for it.

I've been trying to do abdominal crunches and I can't. It's really frustrating. I don't know if it's because I'm fused to L2 or if I'm just too weak. I don't feel weak though. Maybe it's just too soon. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

I'm very glad I had this surgery done. I'm a slow healer so it hasn't been easy but it's good to know that the worst of it is over. Thanks to everyone who helped me through those really difficult first two months. Best of luck to those having surgery in the near future!

Shell
    Last edited by briarrose; 09-22-2008, 11:23 PM.
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Hi!
    Glad to hear things are going pretty good. I've been having awful phantom itching for a long time now, and its getting worse. Dr Anderson said there's really nothing for it. Let me know what Dr Fras says, if it helps maybe I'll ask to try it. I'm not sure if you'll ever be able to do crunches with the long fusion but good luck with it.
    Sharon
    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
    (left open with just clear dressing)
    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Shell,

I didn't think we were allowed to do crunches after a long fusion. Of course since I haven't been there yet, I have no clue. I'm curious to see what others say about it.

I'm glad the pain is lessening. Good luck with school!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Sharon- I took Benadryl last night and it helped with the itching. I also put Caladryl lotion on my back which helped some since it has an analgesic in it. I think some people on here went on Neurontin and Lyrica for it. I'll see what Dr. Fras says and let you know.

Hi Debbe - My surgeon said I could try crunches at 3 months post-op. I can bend at the waist though. I go to see him in October so I'll ask about it then.

Thanks for your responses!

Shell
        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
        2003- 33 degrees
        2005- 37 degrees
        2006- 44 degrees
        May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
        Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Hi Shell,
          Good to hear you are doing fairly well. Instead of trying to do crunches right off the bat, try doing isometric abdominal exercises. Lying down, sitting up or even driving a car, pull in your abdomen as tight as you can for the count of 5 seconds for 10 reps. Do this 3 times a day and gradually increase to 10 seconds. There are several other exercises you can do to strengthen your abdominals without doing crunches. You can probably find them on the internet. I take it your Dr. didn't send you for PT. I didn't start my PT until 6 months post op. I think Neurontin or Lyrica will help with the phantom itching. I hope this helps. Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Shell--

Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on your recovery. My 13 yo son's November fusion is expected to be similar to yours, so besides wanting to know how you're doing, I'm interested in hearing about what you can and can't do post-op. I know adults take longer to heal, but you sound like you're doing just great! And I can tell you have high standards, so I hope you'll be patient with yourself.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Shell-- it does sound like you're doing really well. I'm glad it's working out for you at school. Your "crunches" remind me of how different all our doctors are-- that is definitely forbidden for me! It puts a lot of strain on your hardware and spine. If you want some that might be easier for/on you, I think awhile back I posted some pt exercises for strengthening core muscles... as Sally said, there are many that help with those abs without doing crunches. The ones on the second page of this attachment http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showp...7&postcount=14 are pretty good. There are others too, of course, that someone else might suggest.

Your post sure is an encouragement for those about to have their surgeries. Thanks for posting! Hugs, Susie
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

So great to hear from you! I no sooner could have gone back to school a month ago than fly to the moon! You really kicked into gear, Shell! I can't help but compare progress since our surgery dates were so close.

From my end, I'm very proud to report that I hiked two miles up the mountain yesterday, gaining 2000 ft. in elevation during the climb. Then, of course, I had to hike the two miles back down again, as well.

I was so worn out that I expect to sleep like a log. Well, my nerves started acting up and I got these bee sting sensations in my lower back several times during the night. Has anyone else experienced that one? I only seem to get this if I overdo. What a way to GET THE MESSAGE.

Guess I won't do four miles on a rocky mountain trail until I get a little farther along in my recovery. But I'm thrilled to know that I CAN do it.
                Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
                May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
                Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

i have been a little scared to do some crunches, although i have wanted to. Sounds like you are doing fantastic! congrats! I take Tylenol when my back starts to hurt or feel uncomfortable, for me mainly at times its my left shoulder. The itching is a pain in the booty! i've recently had it more and more. benedryl does help, but i just get help to scratch and it soothes mine. lol. thankfully the burning and all has been less! good luck with the crunches, i might try one day. need to get weight level up some (lifting wise) first.
                  http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...8506/back2.jpg before 62.9*
                  http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...be_8506/x5.jpg after 12.0*!!!!!!!! after surgery was a perfect 0*.
                  http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...abe_8506/5.jpg before (outside pic)
                  http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...be_8506/a1.jpg after not crooked just sunscreen

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone! I forgot to mention that I still have a difficult time getting in and out of my car, going from sitting to standing position, and going from laying to sitting. Is this normal at this point?

Sally - I will try those isometric abdominal exercises. I didn't even think of them. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mary Ellen - Is your son going to be fused to L2 as well? I was told I'd be able to do everything normally again. It's only been 4 months but I'm hoping this eventually comes true. I'm sure your son will bounce back faster than I did. Taking many corticosteroids as a kid really slowed down my immune system. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Susie - I will definitely check out that link. I think you're right about crunches. Just attempting to do one causes a pulling feeling on my hardware. I'm guessing that's not good!

Ginger - Wow! That's so great that you are able to hike 2 miles up a mountain! I couldn't do it. I do walk up 4-6 flights of stairs everyday which is hard!

Sharon - My itching was really bad for 2 days and then died down a lot so I didn't call my surgeon. I go to see him in 2.5 weeks and I will ask then.

Tngirl - Does Tylenol help you? It doesn't do a thing for me. I'm greatly looking forward to taking Advil again in December or January. Good luck with the crunches. How low are you fused?

Shell
                    Last edited by briarrose; 09-26-2008, 05:48 PM. Reason: forgot something
                    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                    2003- 33 degrees
                    2005- 37 degrees
                    2006- 44 degrees
                    May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                    Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Hi Shell,
                      I think it is normal for you to still be having difficulty going from sitting to standing, getting in and our of a car and going from laying to sitting. Until you strengthen your abs and your quads, you will have a problem. My Doctor wouldn't even let me start PT until 6 months post-op, but now that I have finished my PT, things are much easier for me to do. However, if I sit too long or am tired, I then have difficulty doing those things because my body stiffens up on me. You will get better as time goes on. Four months really isn't a long time in the overall scheme of the healing process. My best wishes for your progress. Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I just wanted to chime in because we had our surgeries within a month of each other and we are close in age and have pretty much the same fusion. I too was back at school about a month ago and feel really well. My biggest complaint right now is the itching also. I talked to my doctor about a week and a half ago and he just told me it was good, lol... it's the nerves trying to reconnect. Anyways, someone on here suggested to me a while back to put "tiger balm" on my back (it has menthol in it and is kind of like icy-hot). It actually helps me a lot but since it smells weird I just use it at night before I go to bed because that's usually when the itching is the worst. Good luck with everything and I know how those 4-5 hour chem labs go! (no fun!).
                        aBbiE
                        22 yr old F,KU college student
                        Kyphoscoliosis...
                        Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
                        Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
                        I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
                        Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                        all smiles!

Comment

Crunches?

Shell, you said: "I've been trying to do abdominal crunches and I can't. It's really frustrating. I don't know if it's because I'm fused to L2 or if I'm just too weak. I don't feel weak though. Maybe it's just too soon. Has anyone else had a problem with this?"

Then: "I think you're right about crunches. Just attempting to do one causes a pulling feeling on my hardware. I'm guessing that's not good!"

Not good?? Good grief girl! Have you thought about clearing this with your doctor? My gosh, forget youth - doing "crunches" (at least as most non-surgical patients define it) have to be out of the question for us 'rod 'n screw' types - unless they are somewhat modified to not injure fragile backs recently operated on!

Think of your spine and all those infections, Shell. You were in so much pain....and both you and your family have been thru too much to do something foolishy risky so please take good care of yourself!
                          Susan
                          XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

There are nerve drugs that many surgeons prescribe to deal with the itching problem. The most common is Neurontin (generic = Gabapentin) OR Lyrica. I use Lyrica in the morning because it keeps me really alert and then I take Neurontin before bed, because it makes me sleepy. You may want to ask your doctor about using one of these drugs.
                            Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
                            May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
                            Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Originally posted by amae28 View Post
                              My biggest complaint right now is the itching also. I talked to my doctor about a week and a half ago and he just told me it was good, lol... it's the nerves trying to reconnect. Anyways, someone on here suggested to me a while back to put "tiger balm" on my back (it has menthol in it and is kind of like icy-hot).
                              It was probably me, Abbie ... I LOVE the stuff. The weird smell (I also love - LOL!) you perceive is cinnamon, cardamom, and some other things with much lower menthol concentrate that Icy-Hot, etc. I'd have to pull out my jar, but it MAY contain camphor.

The mild tingly-ness provides just enough distraction to encourage the nerves to stop itching (sometimes effective ... sometimes not ... I stumbled upon the whole "remedy"), and it *definitely* helps relieve fatigued muscles. No blistering of the skin you get with highly menthol-based products, either. Pretty important when your back SKIN is numb ...

Regards,
                              Pam
                              Last edited by txmarinemom; 09-27-2008, 11:59 PM.
                              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                              X