volleyball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volleyball?

I have a curve in my spine of 20 degrees and I am a big volleyball player. My shoulders have been so uneven lately, I don't know if I can continue playing. My phys therapist gave me a workout to temporarily cancel out the curve, but that only lasts about 45 seconds. If there something else i could do to cancel the curve out for more time? Does anyone else play volleyball with scoliosis?

Well I still played pretty much all sports and had a curve over 100 degrees. After my surgery I still have a curve of 50-something degrees and I used to play volleyball, basketball, tennis, soccer, baseball, skated, etc...

As long as you are not in pain, there is really nothing you cannot do. You have to be aware of any limitations you yourself know you have, and be careful, but there is no reason why a 20 degree curve should stop you from playing. Have you talked with your doctor about this at all?

Have you ever played walleyball? Volleyball in a raquetball court. Only 3 per side, but you can use the walls to bounce the ball off of. That is a lot of fun.

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

thanks for the reply. I play high school level volleyball so it's really competitive. It is really hard sometimes during tryouts and practice watching everyone pass the ball semi close to perfection while I struggle to position my shoulders just to make me look semi good. Now with most people you have to angle your shoulders to the right to make a good pass to the setter. With me, I have to teach my self to angle them left because they are tilted too much to just pass the ball at the angle they are in now.

Comment

Well you just have to adjust.

Back when I used to golf you should have seen the adjusting I had to do. With my spine fused I had no movement, only in my hips, I literally had to aim left to hit straight.

You'll get the hang of it, you're body will find a way to adjust to do what you need to do. Is there someone you can practice with to get the hang of it faster?

Brad
        Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
        Still have 57 degree curve
        2 Harrington rods
        Luque method used
        Dr David Bradford
        Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
        Preop xray (with brace on)
        Postop xray

Comment

thanks again. And I kind of have to just teach myself how to play rather than learn the normal correct way.

Comment

hi! i'm sorry this might be a little late. however, i wanted to let you know that i use to play volleyball on teams when i was like 8th grade and high school. my degree of curve at the time was about 25*. for me there was no stopping it anyway, my back had its own mind. lol. but i played and it never bothered me at all.. now i'm in my 4 month post op. and am allowed to play again. i just dont spike or serve over hand. and i leave the twisting and diving out of it. with help from friends who also play. but i dont know about the exercises. but i do know volleyball is ok. good luck with everything!
            http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...8506/back2.jpg before 62.9*
            http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...be_8506/x5.jpg after 12.0*!!!!!!!! after surgery was a perfect 0*.
            http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...abe_8506/5.jpg before (outside pic)
            http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...be_8506/a1.jpg after not crooked just sunscreen

Comment

Originally posted by TnGirl07 View Post
              hi! i'm sorry this might be a little late. however, i wanted to let you know that i use to play volleyball on teams when i was like 8th grade and high school. my degree of curve at the time was about 25*. for me there was no stopping it anyway, my back had its own mind. lol. but i played and it never bothered me at all.. now i'm in my 4 month post op. and am allowed to play again. i just dont spike or serve over hand. and i leave the twisting and diving out of it. with help from friends who also play. but i dont know about the exercises. but i do know volleyball is ok. good luck with everything!
              thank you for the reply

Comment

Working...
              X