PDA

View Full Version : Feeling grateful for all of you

debbei
09-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Here I am, 24 days left and counting. This morning, after a good night's sleep, and my cold getting better, I am feeling more calm. What hit me as I read the forum this morning is what would I have done if I hadn't stumbled upon all of you here? Where would I have ended up having this surgery? With some local-yocal like my infamous Dr. Dumbell? I thank God that I found this place, without even trying hard that day last May when I came home in tears from Dr. Dumbell's office. Back in the dark ages before the internet, I would have had to rely on word-of-mouth. And you just don't run into that many people in every day life with scoliosis this bad. I am so informed, and have so much been-there-done-that feedback and advice from you all. Anything I ask I get great advice for. I can't imagine going into this blind.

So thank you all for being there and putting up with my nuttiness. I know I'm still on that rollercoaster, and I might get nutty again, but that's ok. I'll be JUST FINE. You must know by now that I'm a worrier at heart, but you know what? I think that I'm getting a little bit excited, as opposed to nervous. I'd say the current stats are 85% nervous, 15% excited. :D

loves to skate
09-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi Debbe,
God does find ways for us to get the information we need. You were very fortunate to stumble onto this forum way before your surgery. I had to go with word of mouth advice, but I know that God was looking out for me also. My source was my God child who works for Depuy a division of Johnson and Johnson. I have some of their hardware installed in my spine now. I had lost track of my God child for several years and just when I needed her most, God brought her back into my life by a strange set of circumstances. I would say that without faith in God, it would be very difficult to get through this surgery. That isn't to say that it isn't possible, but faith really helps. I am so glad that your cold is getting better. I think that getting a cold will boost your immune system, so that is a good thing. By the way, I am getting excited for you also. Take care, Sally

Susie*Bee
09-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Debbe-- I'd like to echo what Sally said. And also that I didn't find the forum till 5 months post-op-- and all I had to go on was what my doctor told me and the two books he recommended (which were soooo helpful!)-- the Wolpert book and the Neuwirth book. Otherwise it was just me and my family, and we were really new to this whole scenario. God is so good and helped me through all this-- and then later on I found the forum, so I got some "people" help too. So I also feel so grateful for the people here-- they are such a great source of support and encouragement!

I'm also excited for you! The waiting is hard, the surgery is difficult, but then you are over the main hurdle and ready to recover, with a new (reconstructed) spine that is such an improvement! That's what helps as you go through the recovery process-- knowing that you are so much better off, even though it takes awhile to get back into doing things... You'll do great. ;) It really DOES get better and better!

Ginger W.
09-21-2008, 07:24 PM
I just got off the phone with a friend who needs surgery for her scoliosis and kyphosis. She has been testing the waters by some "peeks" at the forum. I think that's the best way for her to learn about others' experiences.

As for me, I am celebrating my fourth month post-op birthday today and I am UNQUESTIONABLY better than I was before surgery. It's such a joy to have this "improved" skeletal system which can support me through the next few decades of life.

Qikdraw
09-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Well I am 25 years post op and I am so glad I found this site! It is a blessing for sure! Its great to be able to talk with people who have gone through the same things I have, and can give advice for things I go through now.

This site is fillled with great people. :D

Brad

debbei
09-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Sally, Susie, Ginger & Brad,

Thanks for your responses. This site is full of great people. I do believe in God, although I'm not overly religious. When I was about 12, my parents threw themselves into (what I think) was an over-the-top, almost fanatic religion, and it just turned me off completely.

It's a new day today, and I'm still feeling good. My 85/15% stats probably still apply. I know that before D-Day I'll probably go over the edge again and believe me I'll be here for support.

Thanks again,

loves to skate
09-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Debbe,
I understand about religious fanaticism. My Mother in law was a religious fanatic and it really is a turn off. I decided that it is best to trust God rather than people. Whenever I have to deal with a difficult and stressful situation, I just think to myself, "Just trust in the Lord". He does care for us.
Sally

Susie*Bee
09-24-2008, 03:30 PM
And my mom was the exact opposite-- a dyed-in-the-wool secular humanist/atheist to her dying day. Sometimes we do a u-turn from what our parents believe.

JustLee34
09-24-2008, 08:28 PM
My Prayers are with you and may God bless you during your surgery and after thru your healing process. I will be praying for you. ;)

leahdragonfly
09-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Debbe,

That's great news about your daughter! (I guess that post was on another thread, I'm a little late to reply here...) At least now you can 'just' focus on your upcoming surgery and not have to worry about her back, too.

I had to smile, too, at your post about your daughter before she had the dr's appt--a few months ago I totally convinced myself that my 3 y/o son's back didn't look right. I was convinced he had a curve, so I took him to see the pediatrician, who indulged my worry with an x-ray. It showed two very slight, 5-degree curves, which definitely put my mind at ease!

I'll be thinking about you as your surgery date draws near.

debbei
09-24-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm feeling pretty good tonight. I was going to give my boss notice this Friday, but she decided on a last minute vacation starting tomorrow. So I called her this afternoon and told her about it and she was nice as pie. I don't know why I was so nervous about that part, I'm just crazy.

It's kind of a relief, so now I can relax a little more at work and not have to worry about getting so much done, just wrapping up and transitioning work. I can concentrate on ME now.

I did tear up a little when we were out buying PAINT tonight when I realized that 3 weeks from tonight, I'll be all druged up. I quickly got over it. My husband goes into this 'nesting' phase whenever major health events are happening. The last time was prior to our 9year old daughter's birth, and now this. He's re-done rooms, new furniture, flatscreen tv, new windows, redid the deck, got me a hot tub.... Believe me when he gets on a roll ike this I don't stop him. LOL :) I'll have a great house to come home and recover in.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. Oh, and I've spoken to 3 of Dr. N's patients in the last few weeks. I even met one in person. They're all wonderful, although I dont think any of these ladies have made it here. They just can't say enough good about him. So I'm feeling good. Very good.

debbei
09-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Debbe,

That's great news about your daughter! (I guess that post was on another thread, I'm a little late to reply here...) At least now you can 'just' focus on your upcoming surgery and not have to worry about her back, too.

I had to smile, too, at your post about your daughter before she had the dr's appt--a few months ago I totally convinced myself that my 3 y/o son's back didn't look right. I was convinced he had a curve, so I took him to see the pediatrician, who indulged my worry with an x-ray. It showed two very slight, 5-degree curves, which definitely put my mind at ease!

I'll be thinking about you as your surgery date draws near.

Thanks Gayle,

You know, Jenna's doctor is very good, and he was so sweet as he explained nicely that sometimes, when parents see their child's back every day, they think that things are getting worse when they really are not. I was so happy to be wrong. I could have jumped up and kissed the man. :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

titaniumed
09-25-2008, 01:55 PM
A new hot tub! wow. Make sure he gets one with the ozone bulb to kill off the bacteria. With the ozone system, you will not need chemicals in the water with normal use. No chemicals, no smell, no residue, no mixing and safer.

After surgery, I was in my tub 4 times per day. The heat really worked wonders for the pain. A bath tub works well also. I did this for 3 solid months,
tapering off, then the pain subsided.

Make sure you drink lots of water, you lose quite a bit in a hot tub sweating. In a hot tub, in 20 minutes you will lose 2 lbs. This is water loss, and it needs to be replaced with high quality water, no tap water!!!

You are on your way!

PS Im 8 months post and I have no back pain. I took it real easy!!!!

Ed

debbei
09-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Ed,

We use bromine for the hottub. The first week, I got hot tub foliculitis and was furious at my husband for messing up. :) I recovered but now we're really careful with checking the levels before we go in.

How long after surgery did you start using the hot tub? Was it hard to get in & out?

Qikdraw
09-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Ed,

We use bromine for the hottub. The first week, I got hot tub foliculitis and was furious at my husband for messing up. :) I recovered but now we're really careful with checking the levels before we go in.

How long after surgery did you start using the hot tub? Was it hard to get in & out?

I'm so jealous of people that have a hot tub. I love them. They take so much weight off my back and I feel like I can stay there forever. I can't get one because of the mother n law... *sigh* The resorts my wife & I go to I am in their hot tub almost the entire time. :D

If you wear swimsuit in your hot tub be careful in how you wash them. The chemicals from your laundry detergent can mess the water up somehow. I donno all the details but both my neighbours who have hot tubs have both said the same thing. Both use their hot tubs nude anyway. heh

I'm glad you're doing better Debbe keep up with a positive attitude and it will definately help with your surgery and recovery. :)

Brad

titaniumed
09-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Debbe

Wow! foliculitis! Is that a NJ thing? You know I can say that being from NJ. Im sorry, but now my reccomendation is to stay out of the hot tub! Ask your Doctor about this.

Stick to the bathtub. Its safer.

Call a professional, you dont want opportunistic pathogens(bacterium) in your water. If he knows what he is doing, he will explain why this happens,how this happens, and exactly who will get it, and how to prevent it. (standard hot tub protocol) Ask about ozone systems ?

If you drain, the problem is not solved,the bacteria is still in the hoses and pumps, and there is no test for this. I dont know if they run bleach through or not.

Its not that big a deal, just a new set of rules. (biology class)

I had an illius and had to hang out for a while at the hospital. Since you are not doing an anterior, your chances of this are nil. So, it was on my 11th day that I took my first shower, and on day 12 was my first time in the hot tub. They want time for the large cuts to heal somewhat. I have wooden steps to get in and out. Remember, no falling allowed!!!

Once again, talk to your Dr about this!

Ed

debbei
09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi Ed,

No, the foliculitis was a one time thing the first week we had the hot tub. My husband knows what he's doing now with the water, although, I'm not going in there again before my surgery. I just don't want to take the chance of getting an infection.

txmarinemom
09-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Debbe ...

Avoiding the whole religious aspect, I will say I believe you ended up exactly where you needed to be - and where others needed to see you - wrestling with all this.

You're going to do just fine, sweetheart, and you've traversed MILES in hope since you arrived here.

Of course you'll be a nut before surgery. I've yet to see anyone who isn't (at times), even though they feel they're mentally prepared. Anyone who's had surgery will ignore the nut (pre-op and post-op) and remember you - LOL.

No worries!

Pam

JenniferG
10-03-2008, 11:12 PM
It's so good to hear someone who describes herself as a "worrier" say she's getting just a little bit "excited" as surgery date draws near! I think that's wonderful and I hope I will eventually be able to say the same.

At first, when I was told I'd need this surgery, I didn't give a thought to being straight, or life without the rib hump, all I could think about was the surgery and the long recovery. But one day I woke up and realised I would be, if not straight, at least a lot straighter, and with a reduced rib hump, maybe no rib hump! And I did feel a teensy, weensy bit of excitement.

It will be nice to buy a pair of pants and not have to take up one leg!

I hope the excitement grows for you Debbei.