New to the NSF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the NSF

Hello everyone!! I am 32 year old female, married with a son and daughter, two dogs, and two rabbits. My kids are 13 and 7. They keep me busy. I am new to NSF and I have been reading for the past few days. I wish this was around when I was younger but I sure do appreciate everyone here. We all know what it is like to have scoliosis! It is hard on our families. My husband has a big heart and it is hard for him to understand what I go through. It is better not to tell him everything. Worries him. I am excited because I haven't met many people with scoliosis. Someone who would understand all my feelings. And now I am quite excited! Although I found this site because I have been have some more pain that has been happening to my lower back. My last fusion was T4-L4. I have a sixth vertebrae so that leaves me with two down there and I have to say I do have concerns. My last surgery for fusion was 1999 in Denver, CO and I had my rods removed in 2002. Boy, that was a shocker to my body. It was rejecting the rods and giving me pain but it sure missed the support the rods gave. LOL I look forward to meeting everyone? My new pain is down my legs and lower back. I feel like it is labor but couldn't be pregnant because I had a hysterectomy a year ago. I have had a lot of other medical problems; anyone else???
    Last edited by augemac; 09-18-2008, 10:20 PM. Reason: misspelling
    Adrienne
    1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
    1993 Rod Removal
    1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
    2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
    Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
    Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Welcome to the boards!

It is a great place to come to. I am so glad I found this place even though I had my surgery 25 years ago. There are many great people here, and some who have a hell of a lot of information.

As far as your current back pain... Get your husband to start giving you lower back massages. I have the same problem and every few days my wife gives me a massage to take the knots out of my back that are created by the back pain I already have. The knots just make it worse. If you have to get massage books or videos so he can learn. Its much cheaper than paying for a massage.

Have you talked with a doctor about your problems? I believe mine to be a pinched nerve, sine you have no rods an MRI will show that...
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It would be cheaper if my husband knew how to massage. In fact today I went and got one done! My husband does massage me as needed. We have to be thankful for the spouses out their to love us through everything. But I am thinking to go to the DR. been a few years, scary.
      Adrienne
      1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
      1993 Rod Removal
      Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Hello and welcome!

I don't know if it would be for your condition but my daughter is using the Spinecor brace and while doing my research on their website they say it is also used in adults for back pain. It may be worth looking at their site to see if it is something to check into. http://www.spinecorporation.com/English/index.htm Good luck.

Kathy

Comment

Kathy,

Thank you very much for caring. I will look into that. I am enjoying this website. It makes going through my scoliosis with a different understanding then I had before. Does anyone understand that one?
          Adrienne
          1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
          1993 Rod Removal
          Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Hi Auge,

Welcome to the site. I haven't had fusion surgery (yet), and the down the leg pain is what got me to the Dr's. this past spring, and turned out to be from my scoliosis. Funny you mention labor, because I do remember this same exact pain that occurred 'when' I was giving birth. I have 3 kids, and at a certain point, as they came down, I just remember screaming in agony that my (right) leg hurt so bad, I couldn't take it.

Will you be going back to your orthopedic Dr. to have this checked out? Good luck to you, and keep posting.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbe,

Hello nice to meet you. I am going back to my orthopedic Dr. in Denver, CO but this time (thanks to Kathy) I am going to ask for a spincor brace. I researched last night and I really don't want another surgery. I just would like some support and pain relief for my back. The only reason I would have surgery again is if it went to extreme. But got to pray that doesn't happen!

I enjoy this website and the info I have been receiving; along with the people and understanding.

Thanks everyone!!
              Adrienne
              1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
              1993 Rod Removal
              Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Working...
              X