Surgery in less than a month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery in less than a month

and here I wake up with a scratchy throat and congestion today. Last night I thought I was achy. I've been having allergy problems for a little while, but this is different, I can tell. I know, I should be better by then, but JEEZ. My kids always start to bring home sicknesses in September. What happens if you have to be rescheduled--they don't make you wait months, do they? I mean all the arrangements are already made, etc.

My husband threw me a really big party this past weekend in our yard, with a tent, catered food, a roasted a pig, had maybe 80+ people with tons of kids swimming, running wild...it was great. Now all that is left is to get myself through this time in the next 28 days. Yes I'm counting.

Oh the good news is that I had my 9 year old back to the orthopedic because I though her scoliosis was getting worse, and he did an Xray (I think to shut me up ) and both curves are less than 5 degrees. So hopefully she will stay that way, and she goes again in 6 months.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Hi Debbei,
    I'm sorry that you are getting a scratchy throat and congestion. Hopefully it will not be a cold or if it is, it will only last for 2 weeks. Probably every hospital is different if a surgery has to be postponed. It usually depends on whether they have an operating room available the same time the Dr. is available. I doubt they make you wait months to be rescheduled. You still have 4 weeks to go, right? I came down with a really horrible cold 5 weeks before my surgery and I usually never get colds. I was really nervous that my surgery would be postponed because I ended up with a chronic cough, but my Primary Care Dr. checked me out and said my lungs were clear and the Dr. at pretesting said the same thing. I wasn't able to donate my own blood for the surgery though because of the cold and by the time I was over it, it was too close to the surgery to donate. I think the anxiety of preparing for surgery leaves our immune systems vulnerable to things we usually never get. Take lots of vitamin C and get lots of rest. Let your housework go if you have to. It will be OK.
    Good news about your Daughter though. And it sounds like your party was a blast. You are on my prayer list.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Debbe-- sorry about the scratchy throat too. I can tell you that I was totally paranoid those last few weeks before my surgery, with good reason-- working at school with kids coughing in your face, kids getting sick (vomiting) in the library, and so on. I was just sure I'd get sick and something would happen to prevent my surgery from happening at its scheduled time! But it didn't happen and I was fine. Hang in there. You have enough time to get well from your cold and be back to your normal healthy self in time.

Your hubby sure is thoughtful! It sounds like a wonderful bash. And great news about your daughter!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Debbie

The kids will do it to ya every time! You really should go into a super health mode and get your systems running at maximun efficiancy for surgery! Get strong!!!!!

I was eating so well that it was making me SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        My body was saying "where is the grease? "where is the fat'? "Where are the Chemicals"???????????

Why all these vegetables and fruit? Where is the alcohol? Why am I sleeping 9 hours through the night? Why isnt Van Halen playing in my back yard?

You know what Im saying.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Debbie
          I cant read all the posts, So when I look, I glance very quickly

Are they doing a A/P on you?

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
            Debbie
            I cant read all the posts, So when I look, I glance very quickly

Are they doing a A/P on you?

Ed

Hi Ed,

No, just posteriod, T3 to L3 or L4. So they say....

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbe
              Im sorry I just noticed the correct spelling of your name. With my eyes taking a dump here lately, Im lucky to see anything!
              Ok on your posterior only procedure.

I think that you need to make sure that everyone around you really knows what it is that your going through here. Some people will totally understand and others will not have a clue. Us post toasties will understand, and the people that have never been through a major surgery just dont know, along with the kids and thats ok. Things will get a little freaky when you get about 2 weeks away from your surgery date and the eventual reality kicks in. I pretty much was in my own little world with all the thoughts running through my head that I was working with a busted up shoulder.

This is the time where you need to get healthy, build your strength physically, mentally, and emotionally and realize that you will finally be starting this process that you have been waiting for for a long time. You need to be as strong as possible and your Doctors want you as strong as possible. I experianced anxiety,fear and trepidation and it is scary, but I thought positive. Things are always hard to deal with when you dont know,and when you get done with the hurdles, its always rewarding.

Try not to worry yourself to death thinking about all of the details. Its not worth it. The hospital told me not to bring anything to the hospital other than clothes and after I came around I woke up with a beard. I forgot my razor, so someone brought me one.
              No biggie. Its all about you. Dont worry about frivolus things right now. Practice relaxing, it will boost your immunity.

Create a circle of support with your family and friends.

Visualize a rapid recovery, and anticipate returning to a normal routine.

Reflect, think and pray
              Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Presurgery worries.

Debbe.

If you're worried about germs--especially around kids, you might try hand washing often. I got into it about a month before surgery. Even if I wasn't at risk for infection, it made me feel better.

I think Ed is right. Try to prepare, but don't sweat it too much when things don't go perfectly. You can adjust if your needs change.

Sounds like you are doing well. Most everything your said was positive and forward thinking. Hang in there.

p

Comment

I also got sick just ten days before surgery. I was coughing so bad that I sounded like a croaking frog when I talked. I drank lots of liquids and took pro-biotics as well as Vitamin C.

I was worried I wouldn't pass the screening when I arrived in NYC, but I did!

One of Dr. Boachie's teenage patients didn't "pass" before her surgery scheduled for the previous month. She ended up getting her operation on the same date as me. I think surgeons allow some holes in their schedules for such happenings.

But don't worry, Debbei! You have plenty of time to get well!
                  Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
                  May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
                  Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Working...
                  X