Walking shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking shoes

I noticed a number of posts about problems standing and/or walking.

Up until recently I walked about 2 miles per day, 3 days per week, plus I do squaredancing and try to keep active. I used to wear Ecco shoes (Nubuck walkers) but they don't make them the way they used to (what else is new?) and I can't find replacements. In addition to my scoliosis I have flat feet so I need good support in a shoe, but that usually means extra padding and weight on my feet, which is uncomfortable for my back (I think this is what you call a paradox. )

I'm on my feet alot these days because I am trying my hand at selling real estate. Does anyone have good walking shoes to recommend that give support AND are light weight? I wear a size 10 B. For the record, I'm currently wearing Avia's and the heel of these shoes are lower, kind of like an Earth shoe, and I don't like it too much. I think I like a slight "lift" in the back.

Bonnie
    Scoliosis surgery 1967 at age 12, curve 90 degree thoracic, 30 lumbar. Harrington rod. Dr Jacob Graham, surgeon. Corrected to 53 degrees.
    1970 - Rod and fusion broke, replaced and spine re-fused.
    1980 - Rod and fusion broke again. Living with the broken rod since. (Was VERY active doing swimming, running and backpacking in 1970's, lots of lifting.)
    2008 - Curve progressed over the years, now at 68 degrees. Still living with broken rod. Not great but it could be worse!

Hi Bonnie,

I like EasySpirits. They have three different grades of walking shoes, Number 3 giving the most support. I wear the Number 1 because I wear size 10AA and the 2's and 3's aren't narrow enough. You might check with a Physical Therapist about shoes though. They are usually up on what is best for your feet and your spine. Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

My foot doctor said to get running shoes to wear for walking around. They give your feet and back the support you need. He said the cheap pair are as good as the expensive pairs.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Bonnie, I don't have a recommendation for walking shoes, but have you considered getting orthotics for your feet? I dont have scoliosis, but I too need good support in a shoe (not exactly flat feet, but close) and could never find what I needed. About 12 years ago my podiatrist fitted me for orthotics and I never looked back. They aren't that heavy but they provide a TON of support. They are very durable (still using the first pair) and made it both easier and harder to find shoes...easier because you don't have to worry about arch/foot support. Harder because the orthotic does elevate your fit a bit in the shoe so you either have to take the padding out (which I don't like to do) or find shoes that are a little deeper within the shoe. It takes a while trying on shoes sometimes to find ones that work, but you will find ones that have room for the orthotic and then it's blissful relief. I have gotten to the point of buying sneakies and shoes in bulk when I find ones that work so that I'll have my replacements lined up. Good luck!
        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Hi,

I know summer is coming to an end but I got my first pair of FitFlops and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever had. Great for walking for me. Good luck.

Kathy

Comment

i like New Balance. You can get them extra wide, up to 4EEEE which I need because of bunyons. You can get them with support for flat feet and pronation. And I happen to be a semi-vegan, you can get them without leather if you want. I walk at least 2 miles almost every day, walking my dog. plus i often do physical work. and i find new balance to be supportive, comfortable and lightweight. i've been using them for years.

Comment

Spria Shoes

I really like my Spira shoes. They have steel springs built into them, so they cushion the impact of your steps better than other shoes I have worn including New Balance. I also have a semi-custom orthotic to support my arches. I walk a lot at work, and these shoes have enabled me to use my feet again instead of riding an electric scooter. I purchased them from Zappos.com.
              1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

Working...
              X