A little over a month to go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little over a month to go

The time is dwindling down..a little over a month to go. I have my pre-op visit next Wednesday. I talked to Kelly, Dr. Lenke's nurse cooridinator, and she said that the fusion will be from T-11 through the Sacrum. That kinda has me nervous. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Reggie

Hi Reggie,

Are you nervous because you will be fused to the sacrum or the fusion in general? It is definitely normal to feel nervous either way since fusion in itself is a big surgery. You will do fine though I am sure and you still will be able to bend over once you are healed. You will be able to bend over at the hips rather than the waist. At 9 months post-op, I can come to within 3 inches of touching my toes. My PT consisted in part of stretching my ham strings so I know that helped a lot. Of course, your fusion will be a little longer than mine. Are you exercising to stay strong before the surgery? Relaxation is also important. Hang in there; time moves slowly while you are waiting for surgery, but will move much faster for you after the surgery. If you have specific concerns, just let us know what they are and someone will have the answer for you. Best wishes, Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Pre-op Visit

I had my pre-op visit yesterday. It lasted forever. I found out that Dr. Lenke is doing a fusion from T-11 thru Sacrum, a PSO at L3, and a TLIF at L1. Also he said I am a high risk due to the fact that I had radiation treatment and chemotherapy earlier in my life. This was welcomed information, WHATEVER! This kinda scared the hell out of me. But I know that I am in the best hands possible. I will be very glad to have the surgery over with and begin to recover with my new back and a new beginning to a happier life, pain free hopefully.

Comment

Hey! Good to see that it went (relatively) OK. I don't think that we ran into eachother-- my appointment was at 12:20 and I got in and out of there by 2 so it didn't take too long. I'm sure you were running all over that place getting all those tests done. Dr. Lenke knows what he is doing and you are in VERY good hands. I see you are having an osteotomy-- I had some smith-peterson osteotomies (a bunch of smaller ones) to help correct my kyphosis. It is not easy after surgery, no sugar-coating necessary, but after about 4 weeks I started to feel a LOT better and I was able to be more productive, drive myself places, and not have to lay down every 30 minutes. I am 10 wks post op now and I was cleared for the eliptical yesterday and careful bending. I actually did 3 miles on the eliptical tonight and it felt great, no pain even (I ran about 20-25 miles a week before surgery). Let me know if you have more questions!
        Last edited by amae28; 09-18-2008, 09:50 PM.
        aBbiE
        22 yr old F,KU college student
        Kyphoscoliosis...
        Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
        Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
        I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
        Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
        all smiles!

Comment

I know how you feel about the time dwindling down, I feel exactly the same way. I'm glad your pre-op appointment went well. I have 2--a physical Sept 29th, and the pre-op appointment Oct 2nd.

Try to be calm and relax (see, I'm the pot calling the kettle black here). I know that we'll both do JUST FINE. (((Hugs)))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Reggie,
            I'm glad your pre-op appointment went well. I am sure you are in good hands. This time before the surgery is probably the hardest time anxiety wise. You and Debbe are in my thoughts and prayers. Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Deb-Good luck to you also. Sally Thanks for keeping me in your prayers. I appreciate the support from you guys. I never knew how stressful this could be. Thank God for family and friends!

Abbie- Sorry I didn't talk to you up at the office. I realized it was you as you entered the door when they called your name. I am glad recovery is going good for you! I will email you more in a bit.

Good luck to everyone. Deb let me know how everything goes for you!
              Take care all and God Bless!
              Reggie

Comment

I had a consultation with Dr. Lenke and he really knows his stuff. I ended up having surgery in NYC for a variety of reasons, logistics and support group among them, but I would have been quite happy with Dr. Lenke's work.

It can be really REALLY unnerving at this juncture. A meltdown or two may come, and it's good to remember that it's common and part of the process. Deep breaths. You'll soon be on the other side.
                Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
                May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
                Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Working...
                X