Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post op Fatigue

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to take a "poll" of people's energy level after surgery-I had A/P surgery in Dec. of '06 and still get so tired so easily. (I'm 47) Can others who have had surgery a year or two (or more) tell me if they are "back to normal"? I can sleep 11 or 12 hours a night if I'm able and with just 8 or 9 hours I feel exhausted! My job may be the problem-I wonder if it's just too stressful and too much for me anymore. I have to be up at 6am and don't get home til 6pm (long commute). Has anyone else gone back to work to a full time job with these hours/stress? I wonder if it is normal after this surgery to just not be entirely what we used to be-any comments? Thanks!
    Cathie

The Atlanta commute will wear anyone out! My husband drives it daily from near Rome, Ga and he is always exhausted. It does take a long time to get your energy back. Try getting some exercise when you get home (I know it is hard - but try 10 minutes a day). I have gotten my husband to start exercising when he gets home and he has found it is reducing his stress and giving him more energy. It took me a year after my revision surgery to get most of my energy back.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I'm currently 15 months post op of an anterior/posterior fusion. It took me 6 months before I could go back to work and another 6 months before I could go back to 40 hours. I still get exhausted easily at times. I work in a trauma hospital 12 hour shifts so I'm up at 5am and usually home around 8pm. It tough most days, even an 8hr shift is difficult. Was the job/commute as stressful before the surgery as it is now? Are you still on pain meds? Is your job just as satisfying now as it was before the surgery? I hope you work it out. I know you've been through a lot already without this stress.

Comment

At 10 1/2 months post op I went back to work only 6 hrs a day. I was totally exausted when I got home and had to force myself to do anything else. Luckly I work in a class room and get summers off. When we went back in Aug. the first week I did fine and when I got home I would lay down for 15 mins. or so and then I could do more things. There was a big improvement over the summer. Now I only worked the first week of school and have been on jury duty since which makes for long days and a longer commute. I am much more tired when I get home, but also I can't get up and walk around whenever I want like I can at work. I hope when I return to work it will be like it was the first week.
        Patty 51 years old
        Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
        Posterior T3- L4
        Pre surgery curves
        T-53degrees
        L-38degrees
        and a severe side shift to the right.
        Post surgery curves
        Less than 10 degrees
        Surgery April, 2006
        C4 - C6

Comment

Hi,
          I'm still tired... getting better, feeling generally pretty good, but I get wiped out sometimes after things that would normally be ok. Like last week I did a big presentation, and had spent a while in the month leading up to prepare for it. I wasn't working more than a few hours a day, but when I got home after the presentation I went and lay down... and felt so tired I could barely think straight. A week later I'm still getting tired. I think that it's cumulative. I think that the stress of the last year (lead up to surgery included) has depleted my resources, so getting tired is a symptom of all the other stuff. Incedentally, I don't remember being like this after my first surgery. I have to try and remember not to be too hard on myself, and keep accepting help.
          I "fired" my helper (a very generous mother in law to be) out of guilt and thinking that I was just being a bit lazy and could do much more than I thought...but then after a week or so accepted her offer to come back in case I had been premature in thinking I could cope. It will get better! (thats for me as much as you!)
          1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
          Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

I get tired too-- and I'm 16 months post-op. My days at work seem plenty long enough to me at 8 hours, with no real commute (10 minutes!), so your day sounds super long to me. Usually I either "park it" on the couch and relax for awhile or actually go lie down and take the complete load off, for at least half an hour. Then I'm ok-- although we do simple suppers and hubby's been mostly doing the dishes. Then just relaxing in the evening. I think it will get better though, with more time!

nz-- glad to hear your MIL is back to helping you. You have so much on your plate as it is. Congrats on finishing up that big presentation/project.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
            X