4 Month Post-op Visit with Dr. Boachie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Month Post-op Visit with Dr. Boachie

I'm headed to fly back to New York City this weekend for a check-up with Dr. Boachie next Monday. It will be just a little less than four months since my surgery and my first time to see him since I left NY in the beginning of June.

I have no idea what he will be analyzing at this stage of the game. Can he see if the bones are beginning to fuse? Does he look at postural issues? Could any of you who DID see your surgeon (-around four months out-) TELL ME what MIGHT BE the kinds of issues reviewed/analyzed at this visit?

Thanks!
    Ginger (from Utah)
    Last edited by Ginger W.; 09-08-2008, 11:12 AM.
    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Hi Ginger

At 3 months, in the x-rays, you will see vertical white lines in the area where your discs were. This is an indicator of the fusion. If you look at my x-ray on my very first thread, look down low and you will see the lines. Scroll in for a better view.

Of course he will be looking at all sorts of stuff like your hardware to see if anything has broken, or if you pulled a screw etc

I wish i was going back to NYC! Its such a fantastic place!

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger W. View Post
      I'm headed to fly back to New York City this weekend for a check-up with Dr. Boachie next Monday. It will be just a little less than four months since my surgery and my first time to see him since I left NY in the beginning of June.

I have no idea what he will be analyzing at this stage of the game. Can he see if the bones are beginning to fuse? Does he look at postural issues? Could any of you who DID see your surgeon (-around four months out-) TELL ME what MIGHT BE the kinds of issues reviewed/analyzed at this visit?

Thanks!
      Ginger (from Utah)
      Good luck Ginger!! I hope you get a glowing report. Maybe he'll say, oh it's the one I had to yell at to not walk so much in the hospital!!

I hope you have an easy trip.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbe - you are so right! I WAS the patient who got through those long nights ni the hospital by walking, walking, walking. Somebody must have ratted on me, because Dr. B. came and told me that I was on RESTRICTED walking since healing also required REST. He decided I could only walk the perimeter of the 6th floor a maximum of six times a day.

Ed - From what you said, it sound like the doctor can see if the fusions are beginning to take? I have fears in this department, because my mother had fusions that did NOT take. I explained this to Dr. B. during my last appointment before surgery and he promised (at my request) to mix in some BMP (Bone Morphogenetic Protein) at the fusion site. I have my fingers crossed for better results than my mother. (She was in her seventies when they did her fusions and, of course, it's harder to get bone growth at that age.)

I would appreciate any other insights about post-op appointments at the four-month mark. I am traveling from Utah for this check-up in NYC and I want to be well-informed about the kinds of things the surgeon should be evaluating at this juncture.

Thanks!

Thanks!
        Last edited by Ginger W.; 09-08-2008, 05:32 PM.
        Ginger Woolley

Comment

Ginger ...

He will, most likely, be looking at the intervertebral gaps for signs of whiteness which could indicate fusion. He'll be looking for "fuzzy hardware" as well. This is when the threads of the screws/previously sharp angles of the hardware become blurred by calcium buildup (a good thing).

Your case is a bit different in that you were already *partially* fused from T4-T12. My suspicion is he will be looking at all areas, but particularly at the decompensated/extended area.

You can see what I'm talking about (as Ed mentioned) in my post-op x-ray timeline (in my sig).

The whiteness indicates fusion, but not to what extent - or what strength. It's still a good sign.

rhBMP-2 is amazing sh**. It's one of the largest reasons I'm released to slide into bases at 7 months post op.

Between BMP and your Zen, your spine can't help but fuse - LOL. I'm sure of it ;-). I expect to hear great results!

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Ginger, I never had a four-month visit with Dr. B -- just 1 month, 6 months, and a year. Each case is vastly different, of course. But at the 6-month visit there were signs of the fusion taking (as others have said, indicated by white lines/blurred whiteness on the x-ray). He also had me fill out that questionnaire again....the one that asks about how happy/anxious/in pain/out of pain, etc. you are.

One thing I always pin him down on during visits is exactly what my restrictions are, and what over-the-counter meds are safe to take. You should probably go over your activity level with him since you just MIGHT have a tendency to overdo, heh heh....

good luck to you.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Here's some great news, Janet (who I met on the forum) and I have appointments with Dr. Boachie on the same day- next Monday. Furthermore, we are leaving from the JFK at almost the same time on Tuesday! Sooo, we'll be sharing a ride from Manhattan to the airport.

Now THAT'S a testimonial to the "perks" that come from being on this forum.

Thanks for contributing ideas of what I can expect to discuss at this appointment. I APPRECIATE your support.
              Ginger Woolley

Comment

Isn't it funny the people you meet along the way? That you never would have met if not for *this*?

I had a great day today visiting with a local friend that scoli threw in my path. If there's one thing for which to be grateful, it's the friends, who under different circumstances, would have remained unknown ;-).

Ginger and Janet, have a safe trip!

Regards,
                Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Ginger and Janet...

What FUN for the two of you to meet up and spend some time together! Wish I could join you too! Enjoy!!! Tell us about it when you get back-- then let us know how your appointments went.
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I met 2 ladies from the forum at Dr. Boachie's office too. We figured out ahead of time that our appointments were the same day. It is funny how things turn out. All due to the internet! Thank goodness, because if the internet weren't yet available, I don't know where I would have ended up, possibly with some other Dr. Dumbell.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I'd just like to throw a party for all of you forum regulars and get acquainted IN THE FLESH!

I'll be catching a plane on Sunday morning and returning on Tuesday. I'm a wee bit nervous that I'll have enough energy for all this. I'm doing it "solo".

My son and his wife had a baby yesterday and he said "Mom, when are you going to come to see your new grandchild?" He doesn't quite get the fact that I am NOT ready for driving six hours and then having his two-year-old dragging me around the house to play with him. That little dynamo nearly knocked me over, five weeks out from surgery. Newborn = great. Toddler = not quite yet. Long Car Drives = definitely not quite yet.
                      Ginger Woolley

Comment

Just like to add my best wishes for your follow up visits in NYC. Hope it all goes really well for you and you don't get too tired with the travel. x

Comment

Yur visit to NYC

Hi Ginger,
                          Just want to tell you to have a great trip to New York. Hope the doctor has good things to say. Also, I enjoyed your description of your surgery and its aftermath. Thanks for all the pictures too. Best wishes.............Stephanie

Comment

Trip to NY

I had dinner with Janet Kahn last evening. She met me at my office and we had a really nice time. While I had never met her before, she looks terrific! She's proof that it is worth it and Dr. Boachie rules! Good luck on Monday Ginger. Please let us know how it went. Have a safe trip. LYNN
                            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                            2000 Partial Rod Removal
                            2001 Right Scapular Resection
                            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Good luck, Ginger! And congrats on the baby! Do you get the private jet again? That was awesome!!!!!
                              Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                              Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                              Age 54
                              T10 to Sacrum
                              Curve 65 degrees
                              Very straight now!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X