Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went back to softball today ... almost exactly 7 months post-op ;-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went back to softball today ... almost exactly 7 months post-op ;-)

As many of you know, before I had surgery 7 months ago, I played 8-10 games a week of slow and 18+ fastpitch softball. Today, I hit the field again in a split double header of slowpitch. And I survived!

I've been stretching (to the point I can't get any stretch out of my upper back/shoulders most days), but OMG ... that first throw I released as I warmed up *did*. I let go of the ball to throw and simultaneously thought "Eeeeee-ow! Tight!" (first time I'd thrown since I last played). Where conventional stretching hasn't been able to REALLY reach the area between my shoulder blades, nor the muscles right up next to my spine, the twist and snap of my throw woke up areas I haven't felt in a *while*.

Batting was no problem. Didn't hurt at all, didn't feel tight at all ... even when all my second game shots were hard line drives in the drop zone over 2nd base and shortstop.

Running was awkward ... not painful. While I've done some sprinting in tennis shoes since surgery, it is NOT the same as running in cleats, in sand. My body, overall, is not in the same shape as it was before, so I felt the impact of running through the fusion area. Then again, I felt *no* impact in my back when running before surgery, so I'd guess that's a lot of it. Also, just the simple fact I was breathing harder than normal when running caused some tightness in my torso - and probably contributed to back tightness (and consequently, feeling the impact). I fully expect as I run more on the field - and build my legs, glutes and lung capacity back up - the impact will lessen.

My new posture, I believe, also has an effect on learning to run again (just like learning to walk with a straighter back right after surgery): You're off balance because everything's been rearranged. I think with practice (and as I make friends with my new posture in a play situation vs. everyday activities) some, if not all, of the weird feeling and awkwardness will go away.

I slid (just a pop-up slide to start), and it was fine. After that, I felt comfortable enough to get completely down and layed out flat under 3 tags ;-).

The main thing I noticed was decreased endurance, but then again, it was over 100° on the infield (and I play 2nd base). 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. games are roasters on a good day ... I'm just not used to it like I was. I sat down for about 10 minutes after the 1st game was over, got up for something, and realized I was stiffening up ... quickly. I stayed up stretching (or at least moving) until we took the field again at 4 p.m.

I'm sore (but in a satisfying way), and no doubt it's gonna be hell Monday and Tuesday. The league, however, runs 5 more weeks (all double headers), and I think is going to be a good thing to get those lazy muscles working again! I never play winter ball (to me, it's even too cold in Houston!), but that may be the best way to keep the progress going so I'm 100% for spring ball.

For all you facing surgery (and all of you early in recovery), I hope this encourages you that normal will be within your grasp again before you know it!
    Last edited by txmarinemom; 09-08-2008, 01:42 PM.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Pam

Sounds fantastic! I should come down there and show you how its done with one arm! My back is not the problem, its my arm!

I have absolutly NO problems with balance whatsoever. I was hopping rocks in a trout stream this weekend, and did not get wet! The others that were with me could not believe it!

Knock one out of the park for me!

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Glad to hear it went well and you are back to doing something you love.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Pam,
        Congratulations on returning to what you love to do. I have been thinking of you and wondering how softball was going for you. It definitely encourages me to think that I might be able to return to skating soon. I can't wait for my 9 month appointment, that got postponed for 7 weeks, to find out if I am fused. I have been doing a little gardening to get me out of the funk I have been in lately. I planted a rose of sharon the other day,with a little help from my husband and even though I was a little sore and stiff the next day, it has done wonders for my attitude. Just take good care of yourself and don't overdo. Love, Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Back to the pool for me.

Pam.

I can only imagine the muscle pain! eeesh.

I guess now I can use my back as an excuse for my poor softball performance post surgery--I wonder what excuse I can come up with pre-surgery.

I'm going back to the pool tonight for water aerobics. I probably won't do much but stretch and walk, but I really need the exercise. I'm looking at 8 weeks post-revision tomorrow. I'll be back to work in two more weeks. The difference since two weeks ago has been is remarkable.

p

Comment

Originally posted by PNUTTRO View Post
            I can only imagine the muscle pain! eeesh.

I'm going back to the pool tonight for water aerobics. I probably won't do much but stretch and walk, but I really need the exercise. I'm looking at 8 weeks post-revision tomorrow. I'll be back to work in two more weeks. The difference since two weeks ago has been is remarkable.
            Girl, the difference IS remarkable, and I told you, I can CLEARLY hear it in your voice ... it's awesome to witness - and a lot easier to see in someone else ;-).

BTW, Wed work for you? If so, put in your lunch order!

The muscle pain is not *nearly* as bad today as I expected ... just mostly a normal sore - with a little bonus sore between the shoulder blades and around that upper shoulder blade muscle (you know ... the one I pulled sitting on the couch (!) and called you all freaked out over. At least I actually DID something to pull it this time - LOL!

Keep on with your pool work: You've done SO well, and I know you'll be back to 100% (and then some) in no time!

Regards,
            Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

What a great job of describing how your body responded to all the activity out there on the softball field.

Truly, our bodies can brilliantly make the adaptations to the fusions given time AND ongoing physical effort.

I hope to get an update after you play for a few weeks.

THANKS FOR SHARING!
              Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
              May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
              Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Thats great Pam! Congrats!
                Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                Still have 57 degree curve
                2 Harrington rods
                Luque method used
                Dr David Bradford
                Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                Preop xray (with brace on)
                Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger W. View Post
                  Truly, our bodies can brilliantly make the adaptations to the fusions given time AND ongoing physical effort.
                  I believe so too, Ginger.

Singer, I think, said something to the effect "The more I stay moving, the more I feel like doing/better I feel" (or something like that ... sorry if I botched that, Chris ;-).

That really is the case for me. If I stay moving all day, I may be sore, but I'm going through one of those periods in recovery where you can see a big difference ... with almost daily improvement. For a while there, I was kind of static.

My guess is that's pretty typical ... that there are times in recovery where you see a difference almost every day, and then there are periods where you seem to stall out and you can't see any changes for a while.

I am laughing today at how wonderful NORMAL pulled muscle pain is. I *caused* this ... I *meant* to do it - if that makes sense.

My back is strong enough again to not come unhinged when I actually *use* it, and I think that's a big step both physically and mentally (i.e., I'm not "sorta broken" anymore!). I won't overdo (mainly because it hurts when you do that - LOL!), but I can start building back up to where I was. Yay!

Regards,
                  Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

That's great, Pam.

A light at the end of the tunnel.

sharon
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Way to go, Pam.

And when I talked about keeping moving, I was referring to taking sedate walks around the neighborhood -- not sliding into home!! LOL

Ya'll be careful out there....
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
                        And when I talked about keeping moving, I was referring to taking sedate walks around the neighborhood -- not sliding into home!! LOL
                        Chris, it's all relative :-).

Although I probably haven't said it enough, you ladies who have gone through this later in life - and fought HARD to regain your life (and resume your passion(s) of choice) - have always been an inspiration.

Thank you for your reports from the road of recovery ahead - on the good days ... and the "not so good".

Sharon, yes ... there is a light at the end, and if my remembrance is correct (and the timing is typical), Savannah may be around a point where things have gone nowhere but up - and then smack on the glass ceiling. I hope that isn't the case, but if it is, y'all hang in there. The ceiling will rise.

Regards,
                        Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Yea softball~

This is wonderful information. Our daughter is having surgery October 27th. She is an avid softball player and cheerleader and has been very concerned about returning to both of these sports.

I just got back into this site, hadn't been since we first found out she had scoliosis, now with the latest turn of events, I am back for support!

Kim

Comment

Hi Pam! I'm sure you don't know me, but I used to be on these boards all of the time before I had our baby in Feb of this year. I was reallly active (not into exercising, but played softball, rollerbladed, rode a mountain bike) prior to my surgery and have found that if I don't stay active, I feel like everything gets so tight. I am now going to the gym 3 days a week and even did so up until I was 7 months pregnant. Exercise has become a part of my life now and it really does make a difference in how my body feels. Good luck with your continued recovery!

Comment

Working...
                            X