Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Providence brace causing pain

Hi everyone,

My 6 y/o daughter has been wearing a Providence brace at night since June. She also wears a boston part of the day for a total of 16 hrs/day in brace.

She had a very difficult adjustment to the Providence since it is somewhat bulkier than the Boston, plus she didn't like the long side that comes down over her hip. Eventually she seemed used to it and most nights would sleep through in the brace.

Recently, the last 10 days to 2 weeks, she is waking up every night, a few hours after she goes to bed, sobbing in genuine pain and distress. She complains that the brace is hurting her ribs on the right side (where it is pushing her curve I assume). I have taken off her brace and shirt and the area is red but not unusually so, and not raw. I have tried loosening the brace a bit but she ends up awake and sobbing within less than an hour. At this point I change her into the boston and she is usually able to sleep the rest of the night. But this is adding up to a lot of sleep disruption. She is accepting of the brace, so I do not believe this is manipulation.

Has anyone else's child had this problem with pain in a brace? Does it means she has grown some and I'm making it too tight? Could it mean her curve is trying to progress and thus placing more pressure from the brace on her ribs? Her curve has never progressed so far. Maybe I'm just worrying too much (probably!).

We have a dr's appt in a week, so we will ask then, and I e-mailed the orthotist, but I just wondered if anyone here has any thoughts.

Thanks!
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Hi Gayle,

I would not be too concerned about progression (OK, I "would" be - but I am the consummate worry wart - LOL!) - it could be that more likely, she HAS grown and the brace isn't fitting exactly as it should (pure speculation on my part).

I agree that is does NOT seem like manipulation. We, as parents, know our kids best and can usually tell when the distress is "genuine" -so trust your instincts.

Sorry I could not be of more help - I am interested in hearing what the orthotist and her orthopedic doctor have to say, so please keep me posted - and....

Good luck!
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

My daughter ran into a problem after a few months with the Charleston bending brace where she was putting it on wrong and it was bothering her.

We went back to the orthotist and he reminded her how to put it on. That did the trick.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Gayle

My daughter was very uncomfortable sleeping in her brace at first too. Her largest curve is the right Thoracic curve so the brace places most pressure against her right side (seems similar to your daughter's brace). This may seem strange (or not), but she found she has less pressure/discomfort if she sleeps on her left side so that gravity and the brace are both pushing in the same direction.

Good luck and let us know how it goes at the doctor next week too!

Comment

Gayle ...

Can Leah just stay in the Boston at night vs. the Providence?

Us former "23 hour" people know it's possible. Check with her doctor. I don't envy what you're reliving, but you know how to get real answers.

I don't mean to sound cold to your sweetheart's discomfort ... and trust me, everytime I see you post about her, I hope the ^&$% bracing will be over soon.

Hang in there.

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies above. The orthotist e-mailed back and thinks it could be related to growth, as you thought Maria. He thought if the curve was progressing that her Boston brace would be hurting her more than the Providence, and it isn't, so that's good.

Until our upcoming appt in a week I will just have her wear the Boston (at night too). The orthopedist can then check everything out and we'll go from there. Leah is already counting the days until she gets her 48 hours out of brace!
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
            X