Double Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Screws

Three times in as many years I have pulled the lower screws out and twice broken the rods.
    This time The Doctor got serious about it. As you can see in the pictures this time he doubled screwed all the lowers. I would think this time they will hold, don't you?
    http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...CIMG1452-1.jpg
    http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...CIMG1451-1.jpg
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Yes, I do think those screws are going to hold this time! How are you feeling after having to go back for your revision? I have been wondering how you were. Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by BackTalk View Post
      Three times in as many years I have pulled the lower screws out and twice broken the rods.
      This time The Doctor got serious about it. As you can see in the pictures this time he doubled screwed all the lowers. I would think this time they will hold, don't you?
      http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...CIMG1452-1.jpg
      http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...CIMG1451-1.jpg
      WOW, it sure looks like it's gonna have to hold this time around. Are pedicle screws now ok'd by the FDA for use in the thoracic regions of this magnitude?

Comment

Hi Sally, It has been a while for me to get up and running.
        These new ped screws that were put in this time are outrageous are they not. I am just 5 weeks out from this last redo, and my back feels great. It did come with a little hitch I'm not to happy about. The sciatica nerve got nicked. In all the back surgeries I have had and all the pain I have been through, none of it compares to the pain I am having now from this nerve ordeal. Wow it's painful. They just installed a SpinalPack Stimulator. It kinda reminds you of a 10's unit but puts out microwaves which is supposed to help and cut the time in half for the bone fusion to take place??? It is nothing you can feel when I'm hooked up so there is no shock or anything you can feel.
        Hi Shelgrl66. I can't answer your question about the ped screws that were just put in. As a matter of fact I didn't even know the FDA was even involved. I'll ask my surgeon about it and get back with an answer.
        My Best to Everyone, Jess
        15 1/2 Hours
        Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Pedicle Screws

Hey Jess,

Glad to know that you are on your way to recovering; sorry to hear about the "nick" that you suffered though. I recently had 6 pedicle screws put in as well back in Jan and 2 titanium rods and a bone cage. I too had the Spinalstimulator for the bones, I wore it for about 6 months and it has been working, my most recent check up in July showed that the "checkerboard" pattern the doctor was looking for has finally started to form which my doctor said is leading to even more stronger grafting. So stick with it. I too have been having sciatica pain (but I had it before surgery also) and I'm still having the radiating pain down the leg, but no where near what it was prior to surgery. I'm taking a combination of hydrocodone, celebrex and lyrica to help me with my resulting surgical pain and the nerve pain. Please keep us posted on your progress. Looking at those xrays, I look at myself also, they look just like mine, but as someone else says on this forum Fusion Is Not the End of the World.

I too didn't know about the FDA/pedicle screws...that's why I love this forum, always informative!!!

Take Care,

LJ
          L4-sacrum (most recent of 3 spinal fusions)

Comment

Originally posted by dealornodeal View Post
            Hey Jess,

Glad to know that you are on your way to recovering; sorry to hear about the "nick" that you suffered though. I recently had 6 pedicle screws put in as well back in Jan and 2 titanium rods and a bone cage. I too had the Spinalstimulator for the bones, I wore it for about 6 months and it has been working, my most recent check up in July showed that the "checkerboard" pattern the doctor was looking for has finally started to form which my doctor said is leading to even more stronger grafting. So stick with it. I too have been having sciatica pain (but I had it before surgery also) and I'm still having the radiating pain down the leg, but no where near what it was prior to surgery. I'm taking a combination of hydrocodone, celebrex and lyrica to help me with my resulting surgical pain and the nerve pain. Please keep us posted on your progress. Looking at those xrays, I look at myself also, they look just like mine, but as someone else says on this forum Fusion Is Not the End of the World.

I too didn't know about the FDA/pedicle screws...that's why I love this forum, always informative!!!

Take Care,

LJ
            L4-sacrum (most recent of 3 spinal fusions)
            Hey, good to hear from you. Also I'm glad to hear from someone who has used the Spinalstimulator too. I kinda had it in my head that it was just a big load using one of these things. So it actually does do what they say ? Did you place the pads in the same spot each time, or did you change up and use a different location each time you changed the pads? I didn't get a whole lot of instructions when I got mine. I was told it is best using it 24/7. Makes sense that if you use it day and night the bone graft process will start faster. They made a pretty big cut on me this time when they replaced the screws and removed the broken rods and spliced in the new ones. I'm not real clear just where to place the pads. The new cut is about 12" long. Should I place the pads in the center or move them up or down each time I change them? Sorry for all the questions but I probably will get much better information from someone that has used one opposed to what I have been getting from the Spinalstimulator supplier.
            Hope your pain is becoming manageable, and life is looking better each day. Only someone that has been through this knows the degree of pain that comes with it.
            My Best, Jess
            15 1/2 Hours
            Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by BackTalk View Post
              Hey, good to hear from you. Also I'm glad to hear from someone who has used the Spinalstimulator too. I kinda had it in my head that it was just a big load using one of these things. So it actually does do what they say ? Did you place the pads in the same spot each time, or did you change up and use a different location each time you changed the pads? I didn't get a whole lot of instructions when I got mine. I was told it is best using it 24/7. Makes sense that if you use it day and night the bone graft process will start faster. They made a pretty big cut on me this time when they replaced the screws and removed the broken rods and spliced in the new ones. I'm not real clear just where to place the pads. The new cut is about 12" long. Should I place the pads in the center or move them up or down each time I change them? Sorry for all the questions but I probably will get much better information from someone that has used one opposed to what I have been getting from the Spinalstimulator supplier.
              Hope your pain is becoming manageable, and life is looking better each day. Only someone that has been through this knows the degree of pain that comes with it.
              My Best, Jess

Jess, from reading your message above I think I have a different type of stimulator. The device I used was by Orthofix and it was called a Spinal-Stim (bone growth stimulator) I wore it for about 6 months 2 hours per day. I was similar to the corset brace that I wore when I came home except it had a big box in the middle , with a big hole in the stomach and back area, with the time and other settings and it fit around the waist area and when I put it on it sat right on my hips and the lower lumbar area where the most recent instrumentation was inserted. I didn't feel anything at all, but when I was around the cell phone or microwave it beeped. The unit you have sounds a bit more involved, but should do the same thing. Here's the website for the stimulator I have www.orthofix.com. The pain has become a lot more manageable than before. My mantra has been I'm not as bad as I was but not as good as I'm going to be. So as I go through the process greatly appreciate having others to talk to along the way.

Take Care and Know that this too SHALL pass,

LJ

Comment

I had a revision surgery in December for a failed fusion in my lumbar spine. They fused me to the Sacrum this time (it was L2 to begin with, then went down to L5 in my 3rd surgery, and now to the Sacrum with surgery #4).
                I had some nerve damage to my right leg before my most recent surgery, because of herniated discs, loose screws, flatback syndrome, etc.
                I still have nerve damage to my right leg, but I'm so much better after this surgery, even just minimizing pain in my lower back has helped so much. I use a wheelchair in public whenever there is a lot of walking required because of the nerve damage, but hopefully it will resolve itself with time.
                I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Hopefully your nerve re-grows quickly, and that it doesn't cause you too much agony. One of my friends has had the type of bone stim you are talking about. I will try and remember to ask her next time we talk about the placement of the pads. My old surgeon (who did my first 3 [failed] surgeries) said that I should try a bone stim before I agreed to anymore surgeries, but I decided not to go that route since I knew that the screws were already loose.
                Here is the x-ray "history" of my spine. They begin with how my spine looked after surgery #1, and end after surgery #4.
                http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...mandy_xray.jpg
                http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...rch5th2006.jpg

Before surgery #3 (had herniated disc at L4-5 and curve progression below the fusion)
                http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ay10-05-06.jpg
                After surgery #3
                http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=01-11-07.jpg
                After surgery #4, anterior/posterior view
                http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...PFullSpine.jpg
                Lateral view
                http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...tFullSpine.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X