Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to forum

Hi everyone,
    I have surgeries scheduled for Oct. 27 (anterior) and Oct.30 (posterior) to correct my lumbar curve of 53 degrees. The doctor will fuse from T4 to the sacrum. I have a balanced curve-- don't know what the top curve is. (I will let you know). I have degenerative disc disease. I remember the pediatrician mentioning scoliosis to my mom many years ago, but nothing was done since it was mild, I guess. Then, in 2002 I started to have leg numbness and my general practitioner took x-rays and said I had scoliosis. I went to an orthpedist and he did a laminectomy in 2004 and that helped. Then, a few months ago,pain started in my left leg and of course I have pain on the right because of the curve and two long-standing herniated discs. I have trouble walking more than a few blocks. Since 2003 the curve went from 38 to the current 53 and seems to be getting worse. I'm 57 and menopause seems to have exacerbated everything. I'm kind of worried about the surgery because I hate to have to have people help me. I'm a widow but one of my sons lives here. He's at work all day, but can help at night . I meant to post earlier but had trouble signing up before now because I'm not great at computers. Thanks to all those who post especially to those who describe what you need to prepare for the hospital, and what drugs they might give. I'm not reaslly in bad pain , but that's because I'm not very activel. I've been swimming lately for exercise and so my weight doesn't get too out of control. Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

Please feel free to write me ...

Hi.

Your fears struck a note with me.

I had a thoracic (T4-L1) fusion, posterior only, but did recover almost 100% solo. If you'd like to talk about things you can do to prep (I'm single, and fiercely independent) that will help, please feel free to email me.

Physical shape and attitude is huge, and you're doing the right things so far!

Best regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Welcome to the forum! As you have been reading some of the posts here I am sure you have noticed how supportive people are here. Its a great place for those whos surgeries are coming up and also those , like me, whos surgeries were long ago. I hope that you ask questions you may have so we can find answsers for you.

Take care, and welcome!

Brad
      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
      Still have 57 degree curve
      2 Harrington rods
      Luque method used
      Dr David Bradford
      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
      Preop xray (with brace on)
      Postop xray

Comment

I had neighbors and family popping in, but I was living alone at three weeks post-op. What did I need? Rest. Some cold cereal. More rest. Some freezer pizza. More rest.

If you need more care than your son can provide, most insurance companies will cover a home health care agency. I signed up for one and DID use their physical therapist for a few sessions. These agencies can provide lots of services, like someone to help you with showering.

Please do ask any question on the forum. You've come to the right place!!!
        Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
        May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
        Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Hi Sunnyday,
          I typed a whole post to you last evening and with our computer acting up, I lost the whole thing. Anyway, welcome to the forum. Where are you from and who is doing your surgery? Swimming is a great exercise for you. You can also walk in water in the shallow end of the pool to help strengthen your legs. We are here for you. Take care.

Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your surgery. I am also scheduled for October 15th. Did the Dr. say anything about sending you to a rehab after surgery? Mine said I won't need it since my surgery will be posterior only.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing, and ask any questions. The folks here are great.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi - I'm the same age as you and new here too! Just wanted to wish you well with your surgery, (I don't have a date for my revision surgery yet) and if there are tips for getting by, post surgery I would love to read them as well. I know what you mean about worrying how much you will be able to manage after being fused to the sacrum. Although I have a husband, he is unwell, so I don't like to ask him to do much if I can help it.

Will be thinking of you and sending lots of good vibes your way.

Take care, xx

Comment

Re : surgery in October

Hi all,
                It's so great to hear from people in the same situation. Thanks! To answer a few questions some people asked about about the Oct. 27 (anterior) and Oct.l 30th (posterior) surgeries, I live right outside of Washington D.C. in Maryland. My surgeries will be at Georgetown Hospital in D.C., and my doctor is William Lauerman. I'm pretty sure that I'll be going to rehab. The first doctor I saw said that I should plan on rehab but I had to switch doctors because the former doctor stopped taking my insurance. Besides, Lauerman is more well-known for scoliosis surgery. I'll have to specifically ask Dr. Lauerman about rehab when I see him again before the surgery. I think I'll call first and ask him. I'm getting another opinion on Sept. 10th just so I can tell people I've actually had three opinions. It's surprising to me all the advice people give about things they think I should try instead of surgery. One person said her friend went to a chiropractor and they said to carry around bags of sand and that worked great! Wacky, isn't it? I just tell them --' you should see my x-rays.' Can anyone fill me in on what rehab is like? What do they teach you and how hard is it? I haven't read any recent posts about this.

Comment

My rehab experience was really great. I got excellent care and excellent food. The nurses and aides were wonderful with one exception, nothing serious, just a language barrier. If I had any issues, there were Dr.'s on staff to check on me and report back to my surgeon. I had PT and OT every day and they help you to get moving, help with showers and shampoos, and activities of daily living. They won't release you until you can walk probably with a cane, climb stairs, make yourself a sandwich and get in and out of a shower safely. Also, they are a resource for any equipment you might need when you get home. I was on drugs at the time, so if I am leaving anything out, maybe someone else can fill in that information for you. Check with your Dr. if they have a certain rehab facility that they send their spine patients to. Hope this helps. Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

new to the forum

Hello,

I also am new to the forum. Everyone I have talked to so far and that I have read has been VERY helpful to me. I really appreciate everyone, even those that I have not talked to directly, because of the help and knowing that there are so many more out here other than myself. After finding this forum, I am not as worried as I was before. Hope to talk to everyone soon. Good luck to all.
                    Last edited by str8nnup; 08-29-2008, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X