Hanging Off Door Frames?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging Off Door Frames?!

Has anyone else been suggested that something to do with hanging from door frames will improve Scoliosis??

I've been told about this numerous times now and I just plain do NOT understand.

Can anyone shed light onto this matter?

I am guessing that hanging from a door frame would act like a kind of traction, lengthening your spine, thus making it somewhat straighter. I doubt the results would be permenant though. I always hang from stuff, it helps with pain and makes me feel "normal" for a moment.
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Originally posted by Eleanor :) View Post
      Has anyone else been suggested that something to do with hanging from door frames will improve Scoliosis??

I've been told about this numerous times now and I just plain do NOT understand.

Can anyone shed light onto this matter?
      Most likely, whomever is telling you this is referring to some type of inversion bar/boots (where you hang upside down as with an inversion table). And, no ... just because I linked to these as an example, I'm not endorsing either. They're overpriced, IMHO.

Before I had fusion surgery, I spent quite a bit of time on my inversion table. It does feel good for the time it relieves your spine from the effects of gravity, and it can help keep muscles gently stretched. Any straightening of your spine while inverted (and I'm unsure to what degree it even *does* straighten), however, is temporary.

Hanging upside down will not improve your curve with any permanance, but it can be an aid in short term pain relief.

Do NOT try inversion therapy of any type without talking to your doctor. While not inclusive, the same site I linked to above has a list of conditions that make inversion dangerous to some people.

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards,
      Pam
      Last edited by txmarinemom; 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM. Reason: Added list of conditions that can make inversion hazardous
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

My son was born with congenital scoliosis (75 degree curve by 9 months old). We had a great PT who suggested he hang on things, not to straighten his spine, but to offer stretching and comfort to the muscles/soft tissue on the weak side of his spine. Before she even suggested that, I noticed he would hang on anything he could find - the bunkbeds, table, kitchen bar, etc. My dad made him a set of monkey bars from PVC pipe (lightweight and mobile) that he LOVED. He hung around a lot! Hanging can be GREAT therapy for sore muscles, and can help stretch those muscles. Hanging will not correct scoliosis.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Originally posted by Carmell View Post
          My son was born with congenital scoliosis (75 degree curve by 9 months old). We had a great PT who suggested he hang on things, not to straighten his spine, but to offer stretching and comfort to the muscles/soft tissue on the weak side of his spine. Before she even suggested that, I noticed he would hang on anything he could find - the bunkbeds, table, kitchen bar, etc. My dad made him a set of monkey bars from PVC pipe (lightweight and mobile) that he LOVED. He hung around a lot! Hanging can be GREAT therapy for sore muscles, and can help stretch those muscles. Hanging will not correct scoliosis.
          I invite you to visit.www:schrothmethod.com it demostrates some great movements to assist vertebrea's de-rotation in the needed eliptical form.

Comment

Working...
          X