Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok time for my next embarassing question :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok time for my next embarassing question :)

the time is quickly approaching and my new worry is that when I'm in the hospital I will have my period. ICK. I won't take any hormones to not get it because last time I tried I had all kinds of light headedness and the Dr. said not to do so again. And now that I'm getting 'older' (sigh), I seem to be getting it more frequently than I used to, maybe every 23 or 24 days. So the likelyhood is high that it will come when I'm there or even before I go in.

Does it matter? Will I even care? LOL I know I'm obsessing on everything now.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Hi Debbe,
    I worried about the same thing, but after surgery you just won't care (or even think about) things like that. And after surgery you probably won't have a period for about 3 months- I didn't. I even worried about not being able to shave my legs so I went and got them waxed! (I had never done that before). I laughed about it afterwards-it never crossed my mind after surgery to worry about small details like that. But don't worry about your period-if that does happen the nurses are used to everything-
    Cathie

Comment

Thanks Cathie I just wondered if it would somehow make things 'less sanitary'. I know I'm crazy.

I also considered the hairy leg problem and got an electric shaver. My husband said if I want him to he will shave them for me when I can't reach. Or my 9 year old daughter will be happy to help.

How is your back feeling, regarding that pain you mentioned last week?

Comment

Hi Debbi,

My daughter did get her period while in the hospital. Did she care that I changed her pads? NO! I don't think anyone really cares about modesty while in the hospital.

One suggestion though, take your own pads!!! If you happen to get your period while in the hospital, they will give you maternity pads to wear!!!

Good luck with your surgery.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
          Hi Debbi,

My daughter did get her period while in the hospital. Did she care that I changed her pads? NO! I don't think anyone really cares about modesty while in the hospital.

One suggestion though, take your own pads!!! If you happen to get your period while in the hospital, they will give you maternity pads to wear!!!

Good luck with your surgery.

Mary Lou
          So thing brings me to another question then---Should I bring regular underwear to the hospital?

Comment

I would take underwear with you.

I can only speak for my teenage daughter, but once her catheter was out, she wore her regular clothes. She wore t-shirts, lounging pants and underwear. No bra. While in the hospital, I did help her pull her pants/underwear up and down as needed.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Weeeell, my surgery was on a thursday...and igot my period on tuesday night.
              I have the BBBBEST luck!
              But yeah, the doctors told me it happens AAALL the time, more often than not!
              And after the surgery, and I was just laying in bed, I really didn't care about having it anymore.
              And hey, if you get bad cramps/headaches or whatever during 'that time of the month'...at least you'll have Gooood painkillers!!!
              17 years old - Female - Canada
              Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
              Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

Hi Debbie,

I know that you are worried, but believe me, you will not care one bit after your surgery.

I was so worried about that before my first op as I had be told by my surgeon that sometimes big surgery can bring it on, but when it did, I found that, as dignity totally goes out of the window anyway, it didn't matter at all. Believe me, the nurses are very used to this and so understanding that they will soon put your mind at ease.

I would also recommend that you take your own sanitary wear with you rather than having to use the hospital's. You will be much more comfortable in what you're used to.

With regards to the hair issue, after my first surgery my fiance shaved me for the first three months so that I didn't have to bend, but then I was able to do it my self. This time round, I bought an epilator, which removes each hair from the root. It looks just like an electric shaver and am so pleased with the results. You only have to use it once every 4 weeks or so and it keeps you completely hair free!

Good luck with your surgery, I hope it goes well for you.

Keep us updated,

Karen x
                Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
                Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
                Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
                Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
                No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
                Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Your monthly friend will likely come to visit you after surgery!

To cover all your bases I would say much more likely than not it will happen. I had no idea of this going into my 1st surgery. It came like a day or two after my surgery (even though I had it two weeks before that) and my poor mom had to take care of that amongst many other things. The nurses weren't shocked at all, they said it happens all the time b/c the stress brings it on. I would have thought the exact opposite. So going into my 2,3,4 spine surgeries I wanted to be protected so I wouldn't have the embarrassment of dealing with it again. I am very modest but it does get thrown out somehow b/c you get used to everyone not making it such a big deal. I had never taken any birth-control before and since I was on lots of other meds. I was a little nervous about being extra nauseaous and lightheaded but I didn't have any side effects from the low dose Yaz pill. I started it only about 6 weeks before my surgery and I didn't have a period after my surgery for a few months. It worked well! If you decide against a pill then be sure to take lots of your own undies and your own pads b/c the hospital supply are like for elephants. You can do some manuevering with help right away to get regular undies on even with the catheter. You just need help from a family member to thread the catheter tubing thru. I am always much more comfortable in my own clothes so I just took big nightgowns and my satin robe and wore that instead of a yucky backless hospital gown. It was probably day 2 at least before I really cared about it enough to make my mom help me get my own clothes on. I am most likely going to have another revision fusion so I'll probably be dealing with all this fun jazz again. The dr. just gave me 4 months of samples. If you do go for the pill I would only use it for a few months purely for less stress to worry about post-op. surgery. I was 24, 27, 28 yrs. old at the time of my surgeries so I don't know how much of a difference that makes. Good Luck with your decision going into your surgery and don't stress too much, I know it's so difficult though. Best Wishes on a successful surgery...

Amanda

1st surgery- Posterior T4-L4 St. Louis, MO
                  2nd surgery- A&P T2-sacrum with cages, osteotomies - Raleigh, NC
                  3rd surgery- Revision T2-sacrum, removal of rods T2-T11 - NC
                  4th surgery- Revision surgery and t-spine rods were supposed to be re-instrmented but weren't additional L-spine work done - NC
                  Awaiting response from surgeon in TX for T-spine rods to be re-instrumented. Curve change of 20 degrees in 7 weeks despite previous surgeon saying t-spine is fused. Also 2 fractured healing ribs currently at R T4 and T9.

2 Foot Surgeries- as a result of nerve damage to L5-S1 during spine surgery. Equinovarus deformity contracture fixed with 2 Achilles tendon lengthenings, all great toe flexors released and pinned, and Fixator wear for 4 months. Hindfoot fused via triple arthrodesis and 5 months in cast. Now in AFO with metal uprights and beginning physical therapy and walking.

Comment

I had my sister shave my legs for me while I just wore a tshirt and shorts and sat on the edge of the bathroom.
                    She didn't do it everyday or anything though.
                    I could do it on my own about 4 weeks after surgery.
                    17 years old - Female - Canada
                    Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
                    Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I won't do birth control hormones because last time I tried I had some side effects I didn't like--light headedness ICK ICK. My dr. told me not to try hormones again and I really don't want to after that experience. Funny, for years in my 20's and then again in my 30's I was on the pill no problem.

I guess I'll have to deal with it. I will have a private nurse 24x7 in the hospital, so I assume she'll help me with the pads, undies, etc., right?

Comment

A private nurse!! Wow! you are one fortunate gal. Since we're on such sensitive subjects, here's what bothered me the most after my original surgery. I couldn't wipe my butt! I later learned that a pair of ordinary tongs work just fine. You just wrap the toilet paper around the end, tuck it in, and be gentle. They have similar products in the Therapy Catalog but they cost a lot of money and look almost like a pair of tongs. One other piece of advice. Don't let the nurses give you Milk of Magnesia. Not unless you are within 5 or 10 feet of the toilet. Enough said? I wish I would have had all that advice about preparing for hairy legs. I bought BIG panties (sizes 8 & 9) and men's exercise shorts. Another thing - if you're an insomniac or if you have restless leg syndrome (I have both), tell them in advance - either your doctor or the PA, and tell them what meds you've been taking at home. After the original surgery, I was sent to a rehab hospital for 2 weeks and that's where I experienced all these fun things.

I hope you are feeling better now and have gotten over the rigors of your big outing. Might be a good idea not to do that any more. LOL
                        Last edited by Diane BCSW; 09-01-2008, 07:21 PM.
                        Diane in Dallas
                        Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
                        Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                        Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                        Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                        Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                        Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                        Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

I just wanted to comment on the idea of birth control to help control your period for surgery - Be careful!
                          I developed a pulmonary embolism, likely due to the low dose birth control I had been taking for years pre-surgery. Be sure to discuss the pros and cons of birth control with your doctors.
                          I didn't get my period in the hosiptal after surgery, but I did get it when I returned to the hosiptal with blood clots. I was so doped up I didn't realize I had it, and my boyfriend actually notice the stains on my pajamas and had to call my dad to bring me some "equipment". That was embarassing - to have my dad show up with one of everything!

Comment

Thanks Alazlea,

No way no how am I ever taking hormones again. I think I mentioned up in the thread (but I forget ) that the last time I tried hormones I got all fuzzy and light-headed. It was very unpleasant and I will never try them again.

Comment

hiya had to comment as this was a worry of mine i am on the mini pill because i loss to much blood and get enimic sorry for spelling... But i had to stop the mini pill 6 weeks before i started bleeding a few days after coming off the pill and thought oh good i wont have it after the op.. WRONG...
                              I had the op and the two days in intensive care and then one day on the ward and then when i was able to walk i started to bleed again. which wasnt good cause of the problem i have and i had lost blood in the op so they put me on double the iron...

Anyway i dint really worry about it because of the pain meds i guess it was ok for once i dint have period pain anyway
                              It is hard to change anything there though for a few days... and its horrible if you bleed like me a lot but the nurses dint mind cleaning it they are use to it......

Anyway have no idea if thats any help or relevence

Hope it goes well...

Angela
                              x
                              Angela, 25 England.
                              75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
                              Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
                              Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
                              May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

Working...
                              X