I think I overdid it this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I overdid it this weekend

We went away for the weekends with friends. We were in the car 4 hours on Friday, and then Saturday had a nice little hike (no climbing rocks or anything), were antique shopping, toured a mansion (about 45 minutes), and were basically on our feet all day. By the time we headed to the house, my lower back was KILLING me and I could hardly lift my right leg. To get in and out of the passenger seat of the car I had to lift my leg with my hands. It is a lot better today, but my back is still sore.

It's depressing for me to note that I am in a lot worse shape than I was last year about this time. I went there last fall and did all these things no problem. I guess it's another sign that I am doing the right thing by having the surgery.

I thnk it was a combination of being in the car for so long, an uphill hike, and just generally being on my feet all day. Usually at home if my back gets tired I lay down for 30 minutes to rest. I did take motrin a few times and I think it's helping. I really wanted to be off motrin for good but I guess I need it now.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Well be careful! Take it easy over the next few days and relax.

I hope you feel better soon.

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

sneaks up on us

I think that we tend to compensate more and more ... without realizing it ... until we do something that used to be okay. I did a business trip, last December, that I tend to do every year to 18 months. I got the business part done, but realized that I was doing as few of the extras as possible. (No evening walks in the park to blow off the tiredness.) I returned home and booked the appointment that, eventually, led to surgery.
      Cheryl

Double major idiopathic scoliosis from 1988; progressed to 53 degree thoracic/65 degree lumbar.
      Corrected (with posterior surgery, fusion from T4 to the sacrum, & instrumentation) on August 4, 2008
      by Lawrence Lenke to within 10 degrees.

Love this forum! Thanks, all!

Comment

Hi Debbe

Yikes! I don't think I could be in any car that long. If I do any walking at all, say beyond 100 ft., I'm hurting. My cane helps enormously giving that extra help that my muscles are incapable of. I absolutely could never buy groceries if it wasn't for the shopping carts. I saw a Pain Management doctor this past Tues, and I'm not so sure of his diagnosis.... a protruding screw. Well, actually, I agree with that part of it because I can feel it (it's in my upper left hand side just below my shoulder blade), but I have difficulty associating that with pain much further down and in the middle of my back. He did prescribe me a much milder pain med than Hydocodone, called Tramadol. I hardly can tell any difference using it and using Tylenol. I'm to take it before I exercise. August completed my 7th month after my 5th surgery. Most of my pain starts with a steady bending over (kyphosis) and the more I do that, the more it hurts. I've learned that I must go lay down, either taking meds or not, when this happens.

Back to you... how long has it been since your surgery and do you have the pain problem when you're just doing your normal day to day activities? If not, then perhaps you way overdid it as we all do from time to time. I have just moved my elderly mother back into my home and was able to pack stuff, lift lightweight boxes, lamps and stuff. But walking is my weak point. I find myself laying down at least every 2 to 3 hours, then in 20 to 30 minutes, I'm up again.

It's been about 5 days since you posted. How are you feeling now?
        Diane in Dallas
        Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
        Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
        Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
        Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
        Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
        Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
        Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

Hi Diane,

I haven't had surgery yet, I'm scheduled for Oct 15th. I am feeling a lot better than I did when I posted, and probably a little better each day. I could just kick myself that I gave myself a setback though. Aparently I think I'm Wonder Woman or something.

Today probably didn't help. My parents are in town, brought my 9 year old back after having her for 2 weeks. My mom REALLY wanted to go to the Lenox Warehouse sale that started today. Sigh....we had to stand in line for 45 minutes, then shopped for about 2 hours before leaving. I came home and took a nap.

I hope you're feeling better soon too.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
          X