Terrible hip and leg pain.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible hip and leg pain.......

Hi I had scoliosis surgery 2 1/2 years ago and went back to work about a year and a half. I had an anterior fusion from T11 to L3. In the past 6 months I've started experiencing severe hip pain radianting down my leg. I'm looking for anyone else who has had something similar. The pain begins when I get up the morning, at which point I take something for pain, and spasms. The pain continues for about an hour or so until the pain killer begin to kick in then the rest of the day it's not bad, some days it's gone completely. Every morning is the same thing, and if I work days I have a really hard time driving to work because the pain is in my right leg. I'm guessing it's got something to do with the way that I sleep, but I've tried sleeping in different beds, on the couch, on my back,side stomach and nothing seems to make a difference. I'm getting desperate, I was also wondering if my hardware could be causing the trouble, and how big of a surgery is taking out the hardware. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm also thinking that maybe a weight gain of about 20lbs. since my surgery may be causing all this trouble, any thoughts on how extra weight can alter a fusion?Thank-you!

I doubt it's going to help you to find someone who has similar pain. In communicating online with people, I've found that many confuse the buttocks, or even the front of the pelvis with the hip. Your best bet is finding a doctor who can diagnose the problem.

In general, here's what I've heard in the way of proper sleeping habits for someone with a bad back:

* Don't sleep on your back without something under your knees.

* When you sleep on your side, your knees should be together (or at least on the same plane, separated by a pillow.) Don't sleep on your side with the top leg resting on the mattress.

* Don't sleep on your stomach.

Good luck getting it figured out.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

still like to hear from others.......

It might not do much good to hear from others, but at this point it is my only option. As a single mother of 5 children, I have to work and can't take any time off to have something done to relieve this problem. You know, part-time job with no sick time. I'm ready to loose my mind because of the intense right hip pain. I'll keep the sleeping thing in mind. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X