New here - not to scoliosis :]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here - not to scoliosis :]

My name is Staci, and I am 27. I have had scoliosis since I was 12. At the time, the curves were 30* and 34*, with the assurance from my doctor that the curves would not progress. Fast forward to today, 15 years, and two children later, my curves now measure in at 63* and 65*.

For a long time, I was NOT going to even consider surgery, because I had heard so many horror stories about it. But I saw an ad in the People magazine about Baylor's Scoliosis Center. I had never seen a public ad for anything dealing with scoliosis, so I thought, what the heck, I will call and see what they say.

To make a long story short, I decided it is best for me to have surgery to correct this. My rib cage is collapsing in on itself, the pain that I deal with each and every second, of every day, is getting too much to bear. I am already taking pain pills and I don't want to have to do that on a regular basis for the rest of my life. I am only 27...what will my like be like at 50 years old, if I don't do this?

My surgery is scheduled for January 15th in Plano, Texas with Dr. Shelokov. I am deathly scared, but tremedously excited. I joined this forum in hopes to meet other people that I can relate with, and who have dealt with successful surgeries.

I can't wait to meet anyone willing to be my friend!! :]
    Last edited by momintx81; 08-24-2008, 04:33 PM. Reason: Forgot to add signature :]
    .:Staci:.
    27 years old, married mom of two daughters.
    Diagnosed at 12 y/o. Double curves have progressed to 63 and 65 degrees.
    No treatment as of yet.
    Surgery scheduled January 15, 2009.
    http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com/

Welcome!

Hi Staci! Welcome to the forum! You will find lots of people here who will be your friends and support you in any way we can. It sounds like you are tackling this situation in a sound way and things are moving ahead. That's great that you have your surgery date set. There's lots of info you can find from older posts on the forum, plus of course you can ask away and people will help you.

I am one who had surgery later in life and am very happy with it, even though I consider myself to be recovering still. The older you get, the harder and longer the recovery, so I'm very glad for you that you are doing this now. (Plus it sounds like you really need to!) Take care-- and glad to have you here with us! Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thank you SOO much!

I can't wait to meet other people who know what I face on a daily basis, and then to meet people who can help calm my fears as I go through the biggest life change that I think I will ever face.

I am definitely trying to keep a positive outlook on this, although I am terrified! I know I can do this, and I know I NEED to do this so I can be a better mom to my kids and a more productive woman, period! There are so many things I want to do that I can't because the pain hinders everything!

I know I will have pain afterwards, not turning a blind eye to that, but I just know this is what is best! :]
      .:Staci:.
      27 years old, married mom of two daughters.
      Diagnosed at 12 y/o. Double curves have progressed to 63 and 65 degrees.
      No treatment as of yet.
      Surgery scheduled January 15, 2009.
      http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Staci!

I was also told my curve would not progress and it did (18 to 50 degrees in 9 years!). I had surgery 3 months ago and I'm very happy I did it. I'm a little bit taller, much straighter and will most likely be in less pain than I was within a few months. I also don't have a rib hump anymore which is probably the best part for me.

I'm 26 and had surgery for the same reasons- I was going to be in bad shape in 20 years. That's so great that you have scheduled your surgery. That was one of the hardest things for me to do. You will do great! Please feel free to ask any questions. Everyone here is so supportive and helpful. I couldn't have done it without them!

Shell
        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
        2003- 33 degrees
        2005- 37 degrees
        2006- 44 degrees
        May 2007- 47 degrees
        December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
        Fused T1 to L2
        Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Originally posted by momintx81 View Post
          I can't wait to meet other people who know what I face on a daily basis, and then to meet people who can help calm my fears as I go through the biggest life change that I think I will ever face.
          Welcome! This is a great site, and one that is very helpful to take a load off also. We all have our unique issues, but we can all understand the hopes and fears and pains you go through. Any questions or if you just need to rant, this is a great place to do it.

Brad
          Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
          Still have 57 degree curve
          2 Harrington rods
          Luque method used
          Dr David Bradford
          Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
          Preop xray (with brace on)
          Postop xray

Comment

Hey Staci!

I think you'll become much less nervous about the surgery after reading around on this forum. SO many of us have had and don't regret a THING!
            Yes, the first couple days after my surgery, I regretted doing it...but now, I would do it a million times over. The result is amazing. I feel so much better and getting it done was like taking a huge weight off my shoulders before attending my first year at college.

It's not suprise the first days and few weeks after surgery is not fun whatsoever, but it's all worth it! The weekly progress I made in particular was so great! Every week I was doing something that I would have never imagined possible the previous week.

Anyways, you should definitly read around this site and see what to expect...I can assure you that you'll feel much better and more prepared for your upcoming surgery!
            17 years old - Female - Canada
            Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
            Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

More of the same...

I too was told my curves would not progress....but after that second baby, and especially after I hit 40 years old, I just about bent in half-ha! My surgery w/Dr. Shelokov was this past spring. I am weaning myself out of my post-surgical support brace this month and for the most part, am feeling great. We just got back from dinner at a local restaurant tonight, and I had 2 folks tell me I had beautiful posture. For someone like me that is music to my ears.

You will find lots of friends and support here, Staci. The surgery is one of the hardest things you will ever go through, but the possibilities of a healty pain free life (and great posture!) made it worthwhile for me. Hang in there and keep us informed. We are glad to have you on the forum. =)

P.S. I saw Baylor Scoliosis Center's ad in Texas Monthly-in this case, I salute direct-to-consumer advertising!
              Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
              Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
              Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
              www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Staci,

I'm glad you are here, you will find lots of support. First of all, I am flabergasted that at 12 years old, you were told your curves would not progress. Were you done with your growing by that age? Seems crazy to think that a 12 year old's curves wouldn't progress. Sigh....I was told the same thing almost 25 years ago, but I was an adult by then. My curves are pretty close to yours, and I am scheduled for surgery 10/15/08. I'm sorry that you are going through so much pain at such a young age. I also like what you wrote, you are scared but excited at the same time. At this point, for myself, I'm not sure which emotion is running higher.....no that's not true, I think I'm more scared I just have to keep remembering what so many people say here, that they'd do it all over again and don't have any regrets.

Good luck, and keep posting,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                X