muscle spasms in hip post-surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muscle spasms in hip post-surgery

My daughter had surgery on July 15 and is doing well with back pain. However, she has these awful muscle spasms in her hip that are very painful and are keeping her from walking and sitting as much as she could otherwise. Has anyone else experienced muscle spasms after surgery and if so, how long do they last?

My daughter has not yet had her back surgery but a few years ago she did have major surgery on her hip and did suffer from muscle spasms afterwards. We were also warned about the posibilty recently when she had surgery for a broken arm so I think it must be a relatively common after effect. We were prescribed baclofen to reduce it.
    Should probably mention that my daughter has CP so does tend to get a bit of spasm anyway which might make her more prone to it post-surgery.
    Lorrie

Comment

bgaster,

My daughter did have more hip pain than back pain after surgery (muscle spasms as well). Bone was taken from her hip to graft onto her spine, therefore her hip had to heal as well. In fact, her hip had more healing to do than her back, because bone was removed, whereas the only actual bone loss to her spine was two little holes where the hardware passed through. The doctor explained to me that any type of bone injury takes a full year to heal. Also, all of my daughter's back muscles and the muscles for her right hip were cut, so they all had to start from scratch, like a baby, to rebuild them. The muscle spasms were a result of the muscles healing, and we were advised that walking would help to strenghten them until she was able to do more physical activity. It actually did help a lot! Natalie went for daily walks around the neighborhood and actually seemed to enjoy them after awhile. Motrin and Ibuprofin seemed to help her a lot if she took them when the pain started, but if she waited until it got too bad, it would not take it all away. Oh yeah, we bought stock in Ben Gay and Icy Hot, or at least we should have. We went through at least a tube/week. But they worked wonders. Good luck and I hope this helps.

nanmccune

Comment

Thanks for the replies. My daughter's fusion was done with processed cadaver bone, so nothing was done to her hip. The Dr. specifically said to not use ibuprofen because it inhibits the bones fusing. She is still taking oxycodone and tylenol for pain and valium as a muscle relaxant. Still with these she just gets in more and more pain with her hip, and now the pain is also in the muscles of her thigh and lower back. While still in the hospital one of the Dr.'s said she had tendonitis in her hip, and that exercise, heat and time would relieve it. However, it is getting worse. I am giving her Dr. a call this morning as soon as his office opens.

Comment

Working...
        X