Pregnancy after surgery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy after surgery.

Hi everyone its been awhile since Ive been on here simply because everythings been going great for the 2 years since my surgery-I can't believe its been that long. I am 6 weeks pregnant with my first child and am unsure on how my surgery will affect the pregnancy and the birth. if anyone has any idea I'd love to hear from you. Specifically epidurals?pain carrying in late pregnancy and whether natural birth is a viable option. I was fused T4-T12.Thanks.
    Katie

Hi Katie. I saw your post and thought I'd reply. I had my daughter 2 years after my surgery. (I had both anterior and posterior fusion) I had no difficulty during the pregnancy. I did deliver 6 weeks early (my water broke), but this had nothing to do with my back or the previous surgery. I was unable to have a proper epidural, as my fusion is from T-11 to L5 and the epidural space is in the lumbar region. I was able to have a vaginal delivery, with some pain medication just to take the edge off. Once I realized an epidural was not an option, I decided to go as natural as possible.

One suggestion: Well before the due date, you might want to consult with an anestesiologist at the hospital where you will be delivering. From the sound of your fusion, it does not sound like you will have trouble with an epidural, but it's a good idea to bring copies of x-rays and let the hospital staff know about your fusion.

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them. I think there may be some others on the forum who had surgery and then children.

Keep us posted.
    Heather
    Heather
    Surgery date: April 20, 2004
    Anterior/posterior surgery
    Fused T-11 to L-5
    Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
    Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
    Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
    Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

I had some trouble with my epidural with my first pregnancy but that was before my surgery so my spine was still curved. I am 3 months pregnant and I am only 5 months post op and my doctors say everything should be fine so hopefully everything will go smoothly for you since you have had much longer to recover. I work with a lady who had surgery and then two children several years later and she did not have any problems. My OBGYN wants me to talk with my surgeon about the best place for an epidural placement that way everything can go as smooth as possible. Good luck !!
      Last edited by JamieR; 08-27-2008, 08:12 PM.
      Jamie Age 29
      Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
      2008 Curves - 39/63/44
      Surgery Date - 3/25/08
      T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

I had my surgery when I was eleven, had my first child at 22, and my second at 24.
        I found out a week before my daughter was due that she was breech. I had a vaginal delivery, and they made sure to give me a good dose of epidural. Everything went well, I was nicely doped up, I remember joking with the doctor as I was being stitched up.
        When I had my son, different hospital & city, I told them of my fusion to make sure I got meds in time. I was induced, got meds, this time I remember that the epideral gave my legs a numb feeling, so I coudn't get up. They would come by time to time to see if I needed more for pain, but I was doing ok on the last check so I said not now. About half an hour later the pain increased, and my nurses had changed. I called to get more, but the nurse said no, I was going to deliver and more drugs would postpone delivery. OK, some people can do natural, but when the meds wore off it was the worst pain ever. My back was sore for the next few days. When the nice nurse from the previous day returned the next morning she asked how it went, she couldn't believe I was denied extra meds.
        But all is good now, both kids have it, and I have mostly forgotten about that horrible pain, because my son it was worth it.
        Emily

Comment

Working...
        X