Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 month ck-up

Hey guys

Just thought Id let you know that I had my 6 month ck-up yesterday and the Dr says Im completely fused!!! actually, it was 198 days. Im relieved!!! I thought Id bent my rods laying on my stomach.
    He mentioned that the sucess was due to the anterior operation that was done on me before my posterior side. He did that due to the fact that I was so corked down low. Once again a synthetic allowgraft from Synthes was used, and he did not use any of my bone at all.

I still have to get my rotator cuff looked at and I have an appt next week. I will keep you guys posted

Things are good
    Ed
    Last edited by titaniumed; 08-21-2008, 04:04 PM.
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

That's great news. Congratulations!
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

whoo hoo!

Yay, Ed! That's super news! Keep us posted on what happens with your rotator cuff problem. In the meantime, go celebrate!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Great news Ed! I am very happy for you.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Ed,
          That is really awesome to be completly fused at 6 months. You and your Dr. did good. I am hoping for good news next week at my 9 month checkup. I didn't have a 6 months checkup. Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Yea Ed!!

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
            I thought Id bent my rods laying on my stomach. He said I was lucky.
            Huh? How the heck does he think you were lucky, Ed? Is there something you aren't telling us about what you were doing while laying on your stomach? (You are going to scare the newbies into thinking they can bend rods by simply laying on their stomach.) Did you forget to mention the 900 lb masseuse that was leaning into your back...LOL!!

Good news on your check up = a margarita toast to you tonight!

Next up that rotator cuff. It's going to be a breeze comparatively speaking.

Comment

IS sleeping on ur stomach bad after having surgery?
              Haha because that's the only way I was able to sleep after coming off my pain killers!
              17 years old - Female - Canada
              Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
              Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy View Post
                Huh? How the heck does he think you were lucky, Ed? Is there something you aren't telling us about what you were doing while laying on your stomach? (You are going to scare the newbies into thinking they can bend rods by simply laying on their stomach.) Did you forget to mention the 900 lb masseuse that was leaning into your back...LOL!!
                Okay that made me laugh out loud. Good one.

I'm betting the doctor just meant he was lucky to be able to sleep on his stomach at that point in recovery I'm guessing. Maybe many folks with long fusions can't lay on their stomach. who knows?

Clearly, there is no way a person can bend the rods without falling or some such.

I hope Ed clears the matter up as we all have other things to think about and we won't be able to think about them until he does.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Yes, sleeping on your stomach right after surgey can be difficult after a long fusion. I didn’t bend my rods, but it sure felt like it. The x-rays proved my assumption wrong.

Ive been to quite a few Chiropractors and masseuses in my time and I must say that my Chiropractor is a little on the “light side”. Once he was trying to adjust my lower vert while I was tight and I mentioned that I needed a heavier Chiropractor, or 2 Chiropractors at a time!

Suzy,my masseuse (Rosie) isn’t exactly light. And that’s all the info you are going to get. LOL!

The bottom line on all this is that after surgery one should take it easy. No falls,no trips,no lifting and no masseuses named ‘Rosie”
                  Just kidding
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I had such trouble sleeping right after my surgery...I think because I came off my meds really soon, only a week after my surgery date, but once I was able to comfortably sleep on my stomach, I was sleeping in LLLATE!

Comment

Originally posted by tillgurl View Post
                      I had such trouble sleeping right after my surgery...I think because I came off my meds really soon, only a week after my surgery date, but once I was able to comfortably sleep on my stomach, I was sleeping in LLLATE!
                      Might I just inquire as to why you came off the prescription meds 7 days after your surgery? It seems very unusual. My daughter would have suffered needlessly if she had done that.

Thanks in advance.
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Because if I kept taking the pain killers, I'd have to keep taking laxatives....

I think it was probably too early to come off them...buttt whatevs, I was fine

Comment

Working...
                        X