Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Nurse?

hi, all...

i think i read somewhere that one of you plans to have a private nurse stay with you while your're in the hospital; someone i know who's had a fusion just told me to "get someone to stay with you in the hospital"...i'd like to hear other experiences with this. how do you find/choose a private nurse? what is the approximate cost for this? if you had a private nurse, what did they do for you? please advise...thanks!
    Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
    T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
    Fused T3 - S1
    Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
    Dr. Robert G. Viere
    North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Sue, I didn't have a private nurse. My husband or my daughter were with me at all times. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. If I needed anything, they got it for me. Even during the night they stayed. It was very helpful. Theresa
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Sue...

If you can afford it, a private duty nurse would be great. I think you'll find that in the first few days post-op, nurses will be pretty responsive to your call button. But, even in the best hospitals, resources are very limited these days. So, once you're out of imminent danger, it can take a VERY long time for anyone to respond to your call button. Having a friend or family member stay in the room with you serves pretty much the same purpose, but family members may get the same slow response that patients get with the call button. A private duty nurse can actually administer medical help.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi

I was planning to get a private duty nurse, than I started to add it up and the cost for 5 days was 5 thousand...360 for 8 hour shift....so I decided to to be brave ;and I did not have a nurse...well...It would have been better, my care would have been better, but I used the 5 grand for something else.
        CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
        fused T4 -L3
        Hip graft
        Grown 1 1/2 inches
        25/o upper T 15/o
        53/o T 15/o
        37/o L 6/o
        Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
        New York City

August 6, 2004
        Pulmonary Embolism
        complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
        increasing pain at the T4/5
        point irratation heardwear

Comment

hi, connie...i hope that seeing a post from you that was written in "prime time" rather than the wee hours means you are feeling better and sleeping better....as for the private nurse, after all you've been through i hope you used that 5 grand for an outrageous splurge...you deserve it!
          Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
          T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
          Fused T3 - S1
          Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
          Dr. Robert G. Viere
          North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

up all night

Dear Sue,

Funny that U always noticed the time...well check it out now...LOL.....4 AM.....so your surgery is coming up...good luck...sorry if I scare U ...but this is a huge undertaking 4 your body...My lower back is still very numb,swollen and painful..., I can't drive....I walk with a limp...starting PT at the home ..I was having a sherring Very painful tearing sensation on my shoulder blade when I was bending my neck..well that has gotten better....and I'm napping less....I see a small improvement....I even took a dip in a pool...felt great afterwards..but paid 4 it the next day....long recovery...so just take it easy..and if U have questions just ask....
            CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
            fused T4 -L3
            Hip graft
            Grown 1 1/2 inches
            25/o upper T 15/o
            53/o T 15/o
            37/o L 6/o
            Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
            New York City

August 6, 2004
            Pulmonary Embolism
            complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
            increasing pain at the T4/5
            point irratation heardwear

Comment

private nurse

After my first surgery I spent 5 nights in intensive care, so no "private" nurse or aide was necessary at that point. Once I was discharged from intensive care and was sent to a regular floor, my mother asked my surgeon whether I should have a private nurse. He said that he would never leave a loved one unattended in a hospital. My mother arranged for a private aide through the hospital (which contracted with a private agency). I have no idea how much it cost, but I can say definitively that it was not worth it: the aide slept (and snored) throughout her entire shift.

After my second surgery I spent 4 nights in intensive care. Once I was sent to a regular floor, my mother and I agreed that we would forego the private nurse and my mother stayed in the room with me.

In a nutshell, it wasn't necessary to have someone in the room with me (whether an aide or my mother) once I was well enough to be released from intensive care, but it gave my mother peace of mind. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Comment

Sue,
                I didn't have a private duty nurse, but my husband or son would stay with me at night. During the day there was lots of activity such as PT/nurses aide/dietary/home health/pharmacy tech/respirtory therapist etc in and out plus your nurse. But at night there is a slight decrease in nurses on the floor. And at night things just seem to hurt more or is just a little more intense, so it was nice to have someone there.
                SandyC
                SandyC

Comment

Working...
                X