No announcement yet.

I think I pulled a muscle in my back!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I pulled a muscle in my back!!!

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has pulled or strained a muscle 15 months post op? Last week I did a couple of stupid things and have been in a lot of pain for 5 days now. I made an appt. with my GP today but can't get in until wed.. I don't want to have to drive 1 1/2 hours to my surgeon if its just a pulled muscle plus getting in a car and riding does not agree with my back right now. What I am really worried about is how long will this last. I am due back to work after summer break in a week and right now there is no way in the world I would make it for even an hour let alone all day. the pain is to the left side of my back near the ribs. I don't feel it near the spine at all, so thats a good sign. Any words of wisdom would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Pulled Intercostal Muscles

Dear Patty,

I am just recovering from what appears to be pulled intercostal muscles. The pain started around June 20th and lasted about seven weeks for me. It was by far more painful than my memory of post operative pain. For the first four weeks, I wandered my house every night like Goldilocks looking for a comfortable place to put myself. I had some pain meds left from year, and I took Oxycodone, Dilaudid, Valium, plus maximum doses of Tylenol and Motrin and was still in pain. Along with the serious pain meds, I also alternated heat and cold.

My pain started mid back, came around my ribs on the left side to the front and was more painful lying down. Forget sneezing or coughing. Taking a deep breath was extremely painful. My GP thought I had pleurisy or pneumonia and treated me with antibiotics. Dr. Rand thought it was most likely the intercostals and perhaps the minute torquing of a screw. He prescribed Neurontin, Lidocaine patches and rest -- no pool time for "Esther Williams". I was not even up to doing my daily walk. I can't tell you how depressed I was because I had been doing so well and was really looking forward to celebrating my one-year surigical anniversary in a major way. I was so miserable, it ruined our two-week vacation, wedding anniversary, etc.

Thinking back, I probably over did my exercise routine in the therapeutic pool. My exercises are mostly breast stroke using resistance bar bells. I also contorted my body trying to put on panty hose for my 40th HS reunion. What was I thinking? Actually, my good natured husband helped me put the panty hose on because I am totally unable to do something so ridiculous without help. However, being a stubborn Type A, I was impatient because I did not think he was doing a very good job, i.e. they were twisted at the ankle and the color was uneven the way he pulled them up, etc. So I tried to "improve" upon the job he had done for me. Clearly, pride cometh before the fall!

I was finally able to do a 1.5 mile walk last week, and I hope to be back in the pool this week -- starting with just some easy water walking and no Flipper or Esther Williams routines.

I would definitely recommend giving your surgeon a call to get a read. Good Luck!

Linda W
    Linda
    Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
    S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
    Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
    Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

No muscle pull, infection...

Thanks Linda,

I could not stand the pain and went to the hospital this morning. I have a bladder infection for sure and they are 99% sure I have a bad kidney infection but wont be sure for 48 hours. I am back on pain meds ect...as well as antibiotics. I was quite happy to hear it was not my back. Last night I started remembering getting this same type of pain 22 years ago when I was pregnant and I had the same thing. I rarely get fevers and can never feel bladder infections so I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

thanks,
      Patty 51 years old
      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
      Posterior T3- L4
      Pre surgery curves
      T-53degrees
      L-38degrees
      and a severe side shift to the right.
      Post surgery curves
      Less than 10 degrees
      Surgery April, 2006
      C4 - C6

Comment

Hope you are starting to feel better!

Hi Patty,

I'm happy to hear you went to the hospital to check out the pain. I'm even happier to hear your pain was not back related! Hopefully, the antibiotics will start to kick in and you will be feeling better quickly so you can return to work on schedule. Any chance you can ease into your work schedule?

Linda W.
        Linda
        Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
        S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
        Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Working...
        X