Local Support Groups or Fourms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Support Groups or Fourms?

Does anyone know where I can go to look for locals that are dealing with scoliosis? I think it would help both me and my daughter if we could find those that are going through the same thing. We are both feeling alone in this journey.

Thanks

Kelly
    Kelly
    Mom to Becca (11), Mikey (8) and Tommy (3)
    Becca started wearing boston brace 8/13/08
    38* curve out of brace

Hi Kelly,

It would probably help us to know what state you are in - I know of a couple of support groups in PA. I'm sure other members know of groups in other states.

Good luck,
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

OH sorry I guess that WOULD help! LOL I am in TX in the DFW area! Thanks!

Kelly
      Kelly
      Mom to Becca (11), Mikey (8) and Tommy (3)
      Becca started wearing boston brace 8/13/08
      38* curve out of brace

Comment

i live in Indiana, and only know of 3 grown-up adults with scoliosis. i wish i knew some kids my age where i live who had it. but what i REALLY wish, is that i didn't have scoliosis.
        Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
        I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
        My curves were 30 and 31
        I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
        I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
        I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
        I want to meet some new people on this forum!
        Don't be shy...
        Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Hi Kelly and Val,

How about trying the local hospitals? Or asking the doctors/hospitals where you go for care? Just some suggestions

I know for example that the Shriners Hospital in Philadelphia where my son goes has monthly support group meetings - the group is called Curvebusters - I'm sure some other hospitals offer the same opportunities to connect with other folks dealing with scoliosis.

I also sent an e-mail to a few friends in Texas to see if they knew of any support groups. Unfortunately, they do not live near DFW but it never hurts to ask!
          mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

hello mariaf,
            how i found this website, was by asking my brace maker and measurer if he knows of any support groups or anything in the area. then, he told me about this. i'm glad he did. i find such nice people who have the same thing in common with me- scoliosis. i love to come to the forum when i'm feeling depressed, because i know that others like me feel that way at times too. i just come on here whenever, just to talk as well. i've actually become friends with some of them too. i'm sitting here crying right now, because i am so depressed, and i feel horrible about having scoliosis. this has been a battle that i wish i didn't have to fight. the sadness and depression, and emotions happening through the experience is worse than i could have ever imagined. i don't want to fight this battle anymore!
            Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
            I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
            My curves were 30 and 31
            I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
            I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
            I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
            I want to meet some new people on this forum!
            Don't be shy...
            Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Hi Val,

Believe it or not, I can relate to a lot of what you're going through.

When my son was first diagnosed he wasn't even 2 years old - so HE had no idea what was going on, but I SURE DID! I was angry, confused and wondered why it was happening to MY kid.

You are not alone. I happen to know dozens and dozens of families dealing with scoliosis - many of the kids are around your age. If you like, I'll try to put you in touch with some of them.

Also, have you checked out Spinekids?

I would also urge you to try to talk to someone - a parent or other relative, or maybe a good friend. I know that they won't understand completely because it is not happening to THEM but it will help, I promise. I know for me a good support system was the only thing that got me through it all. Even though my friends and family may not have understood exactly what I was going through, they were there.

And keep trying to find that local support group. If I hear of any I will surely let you know. In the meantime, try those local hospitals, especially the orthopedic ones. If there is a Shriners hospital nearby, try them as well.

Feel free to e-mail me as well if you like.

Best of luck to you!
              Last edited by mariaf; 08-15-2008, 02:30 PM.
              mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi Kelly,

I don't know much about Texas, but the Scoliosis Association has groups in the following areas: Austin, Garland, and Houston. If any of these are close to you let me know and I'll give you more information or you can go to the Scoliosis Association's website.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I"m working on a few leads in Texas, too, Val - hang in there!
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
                    I don't know much about Texas, but the Scoliosis Association has groups in the following areas: Austin, Garland, and Houston.
                    I called the lady ~supposedly~ in charge of the Houston SA group several times (and left messages) and never received a call back from her to even say "I'm no longer involved with this".

Consider *that* one a dead end.

Regards,
                    Pam
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Thanks Pam. The least she could have done was return your call!

Mary Lou
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Yes, Pam, that's pretty lousy of her...

Val-- I am sending you an email. Hang in there! I've heard (on this forum) that spinekids is a good place for kids your age to meet up and support each other... maybe someone else can tell you more about it. Or maybe you already know! I haven't heard of any support groups in our area at all. I googled and searched for awhile and gave up. (Not today!-- but over the past couple of years.) I think maybe the closest would be Chicago-- and that's way too far for us to go for something like that. And I wouldn't know if there's something especially for kids or not. Chris WBS has mentioned going to one up there. Have you asked your doctor about it? You could call his office and ask if there is a support group for kids...
                        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                        X