Physical Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Therapy

Does anyone know of a physical therapist in the NJ/NY area that specializes in Scoliosis?

I don't but if you do find one, please let me know! I went to PT for a few months but stopped. I really don't think the people I went to really knew what to do for me. I'm going to switch to another place for my post surgery PT.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Well I live in Canada...
      Buuut before I had my surgery in June, I went to get a massage about once a month.

This really helped me with the pain...especially because my job requires me to bend over alot and lift some heavy boxes, and at the end of these shifts I'd usually have a sore back. I even had to request 6 hour shifts rather than 8 hours just because I was so tired.

Anyways, yeah I looooved my massages and they made me feel so much better!
      17 years old - Female - Canada
      Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
      Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
        I don't but if you do find one, please let me know! I went to PT for a few months but stopped. I really don't think the people I went to really knew what to do for me. I'm going to switch to another place for my post surgery PT.
        Hi Debbei,

What was the name of the therapist? so I know not to go there.

Thanks

Comment

Physical Therapy in New York

Hi Swimgirl,

I tried to PM you with some information but I don't think it worked.

You can email me at nvbpt@yahoo.com

Nora B
          T-6 - L-4 Zeilke-CD (Anterior - Posterior) procedure in 1988 at age 39. Dr Jean Pierre Farcy New York City. 50% correction of severe levoscoliosis. Continuing to do very well 20 years post-op!

Comment

How are peoples experiences with PT?

How long do you go for?
            Does it work?
            Does the pain just come back?

I'm starting week 3 @ 3 times a week.
            So far I am only getting sore mussels. I have scheuermann's kyphosis and scoliosis. I think the PT is focused on the kyphosis curve.

I'm sure the muscles are sore as they are not used to holding my body the way it should be held.

The people at PT sound like the curve will go away, but i've had it so long I am doubtful.

This is going to start hitting my pocket hard, it seems like they want you there as much as the insurance will let them. Even with coverage it adds up when you go so often.

Comment

PT will not halt the progression or even improve the curves. It will condition the body and increase strength. If you ever decide on surgery you will go in in better condition.
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

NYU Rusk Institute is excellent, on East 33 Street and 1st Avenue. Saw Irene for hot packs. Then, got 30 minutes of P/t from an excellent therapist, Melissa Hirsch. She helped me, but I don't know if you can request a specific therapist when you go. I think they are all A-1.

Comment

"Does anyone know of a physical therapist in the NJ/NY area that specializes in Scoliosis?"

SwimGirl -- try contacting Miriam Wade, PT in NYC.

cmjwade@email.msn.com

She's listed in the list of US Schroth therapists on the website of Christa Lehnert-Schroth.

I must respectfully disagree with Karen (though I know she is a healthcare practitioner and knows what she's talking about). Exercises that are properly designed for an individual case can often stop and also reverse the scoliotic curves. There is an awful lot of evidence for this.

If Karen is referring to generic PT, which I suspect she is, then her statement is correct.

And Debbei, Schroth therapy in particular can be very helpful for post-surgical treatment. See Mrs Lehnert-Schroth's website and click on the link for "What can patients do (following surgery for spinal fusion)".

http://www.schroth-skoliosebehandlung.de/

Comment

welp, I'm heading into week 10

wow reading about 1/2 hour sessions, is that a workout? I'm there for over 2 1/2 hours 2-3 times a week. It is very time consuming for me and makes me stress over my al ready busy schedule. Plus I am spending over an hour everyday doing my stretches at home.

At first there was an increase in pain as my body adjusts to keeping my posture correct.

I still have pain issues from these corrections, but it is getting easier and easier to stand up straight. My neck hurts now when it never did before, but this pain has started decreasing.

My overall pain is decreasing but the changes have been a big adjustment for my body. at first there was increased pain.
                    PT was discouraging at first for me, but after over two months it is starting to pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by aktech23 View Post
                      welp, I'm heading into week 10

wow reading about 1/2 hour sessions, is that a workout? I'm there for over 2 1/2 hours 2-3 times a week. It is very time consuming for me and makes me stress over my al ready busy schedule. Plus I am spending over an hour everyday doing my stretches at home.

At first there was an increase in pain as my body adjusts to keeping my posture correct.

I still have pain issues from these corrections, but it is getting easier and easier to stand up straight. My neck hurts now when it never did before, but this pain has started decreasing.

My overall pain is decreasing but the changes have been a big adjustment for my body. at first there was increased pain.
                      PT was discouraging at first for me, but after over two months it is starting to pay off.
                      i hate it, it's not helping. how the heck do you quit?

I have learned a lot, but I feel trapped, I have been going over 3 months now, spent $1500 and hurt just as bad.

they are convinced my kyphosis is the root of my problem (maybe it is) and only focus on this no matter how much i ask about the other curves.

the exercises get harder and more intense. do i really need to work out this hard and this long to have some results?

2 1/2 hours of intense exercise that leaves me nearly immobile for two days after.

i feel trapped

/rant

Comment

Is it always necessary to have PT post-surgery? I have not been told I will need it and am wondering.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Nyc pt

Swimgirl,

As Writer added, Marion Wade is a PT who specializes in Schroth-she also makes house visits in the Manhattan area, and takes insurance (I believe).

Yoga Union in Manhattan also specializes in Iyengar yoga for scoliosis. They specify poses for specific curves, have several classes/week, as well as private lessons.

Many people on this forum like to diminish the affects of PT/exercise etc.

Decided for yourself if it helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by Writer View Post
                            Exercises that are properly designed for an individual case can often stop and also reverse the scoliotic curves. There is an awful lot of evidence for this.
                            Polio-related or AIS-related?

Long-term or just for a quick photo?

Where is the peer-reviewed evidence for stopping/reversing curves associated with AIS?

Are you entitled to your own facts or just your own opinions?

Care to comment on any of the following?

----

I searched pubmed for Weiss HR + scoliosis and indeed the three pages of pubs that Writer mentioned showed up.

These are 57 publications in various journals, most with Weiss as first author, dating from 1991 to 2008 inclusive. There are 4 review articles, all since 2002, amazingly (or not amazingly if this field is very different than mine). I have no idea which are peer reviewed and which are not (except of the recent one which indeed is peer reviewed as Writer claimed).

I tried to determine how many of these 57 were novel research on Schroth exercise or Cheneau bracing (i.e., Weiss' putative or most favorite field) of these articles which cover more than a few subjects. As far as I can tell, there are 14 (maybe a few more) that fit into that category. I determined this from the title in some cases when obvious or from the abstract.

Most of these 14 articles make a positive case for either Schroth exercise or the Cheneau brace. I don't know how many of these are in good, peer-reviewed journals.

Some questions I have include:

1. There seems to be a high chance of data selection in any/all retrospective studies. Were all cases that matched controls included or just some?

2. What does it mean that surgery was avoided? That is, was the length of time after skeletal maturity sufficient to be confident that surgery was avoided forever? What happens if the exercises are stopped?

3. Given Schroth has 90 years of data, why are the bulk of Weiss' pubs NOT novel research papers? Why all the reviews? Why all the papers critiquing surgery or other treatment modalities instead of papers on studies supporting Schroth?

Maybe Writer can correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

----
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by bas2101 View Post
                              Many people on this forum like to diminish the affects of PT/exercise etc.
                              Certain people on this forum like to make unsubstantiated claims that they expect others to take on faith.
                              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X