Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What To Expect AFter Surgery

Hi All,

My name is Lisa and my 14 year old daughter is scheduled for surgery on 18th NOvember. This is my first posting to this forum and i think it's fantastic. My duaghter has a 68 degree curve and the braces didn't work for her. She is due for surgery 5 weeks before school ends for the term and her doctor has said she need not return. He has said she will be in hospital for about 2 weeks, but I am not sure what to expect. I am a single mum and will take time off work and am the only person who can care for her. But i am not sure how much time i will need?? Can anyone tell me what their experiences were. I am prepared to take as much time as possible, but don't know whether i should limit the time off to when she 's home or when she is in hospital also. What are the actual day-to-day realities of caring for a child with scoliosis post-op??

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated... thanks heaps.

Lisa
    Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Lisa,
    Can't answer your questions for you because we are not at that point yet. My daughter is 14 also and has a recheck in a couple of weeks, afraid we are looking at surgery.
    The 2 weeks in the hospital is news to me...not sure what I was expecting.
    My thoughts go out to you and your daughter.
    Welcome to the forum and keep posting.
    I am pretty new to the forum and have everyone here to not only be a wealth of information but, a great support group as well.
    Rebecca
    Mom of Spencer (14)

Comment

Lisa--

Welcome to the forum.

My 13 yo son is looking at surgery this fall, although we don't yet have a date. My understanding is that up to a week in the hospital is average (at least in the U.S.), but that the week or two following discharge can also be very uncomfortable. There are a number of parents on this forum whose children have had surgery in the last year who can give you more info; I'm sure they'll see your post and be able to answer your questions from experience.

Comment

Welcome. I'm another waiting in the wings for surgery mom. I'm looking forward to the people who have been through this answering because I'm sure we all would like to know.

In our case, we were told DD would be in the hospital for 5 days. I'm sure that's just the minimum and it could be longer if needed.

I do know she will be out of school for 4 weeks and in our case I have to find out about homebound stuff because it's planned for February.

Other than that I haven't heard much except the doctor telling me she will be EXTREMELY restricted for activities for 3 months. I'm not exactly sure what all the restrictions are except what I've gathered by reading which is no bending, lifting or twisting.
        Becky
        Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
        Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

HI All,
          Thanks for your replies. Yes it is a worrying time, and i think knowing what's around the corner will ease the jitters a little. I wish you and your kids the very best with surgery and everything else. Please let me know how it all goes. I will keep you posted also.

Take care.

Lisa & Tahlia
          xxx

Comment

I found the video that really helped my DD.

I don't know if we can link here...if it doesn't come through it's on iscoliosis.com

http://www.iscoliosis.com/video.html...me=mckennaload
            Becky
            Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
            Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Two weeks in the hospital is a LOOONG time.
              I was in it for five nights.
              I could have gone home on the fourth night, but I was a little nervous and wanted to spend the extra night just in case.

My parents visited me alot in the hospital and we watched alot of movies together. But I fell asleep at least once in each one.

My mom stayed home from work for about a week and a half once I got home.
              My parents helped me alot with picking stuff up off the floor when I dropped it, getting me things from my bedroom if I was in the basement, and making me meals/snacks. After about two weeks after surgery I didn't really need them except to just pick things up off the floor. So yeah, they basically did me alot of favours. But I could shower/get around the house by myself. But it was nice knowing that they were there for me.

The actual surgery itself is harder on the parents I think...because we're asleep and have no idea what's happening and you guys are trying to stay calm in the waiting room.

If I had have gotten my surgery during the school year I would have been out for four to five weeks, but no more. Exactly four weeks after my surgery, I walked for a couple nights for HOURS at this music street fest that my city has every July.

Hope that helps a bit!
              17 years old - Female - Canada
              Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
              Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

Hi Till,

thanks for that. yes maybe seems like 3 weeks out of work would be best for me. I just wish to make sure i am there for my daughter and can help her as much as possible through the recovery process.

thanks for your reply.

Lisa

Comment

Lisa,

I hesitate to respond because I only have my daughter's experience and what I've read of a few other kids on this site. Nobody here, and not even your surgeon, can tell you with perfect accuracy how long to take off work.

Two weeks in the hospital sounds very long. I can't recall reading any testimonial, kid or adult, who was in that long absent a complication. Perhaps your surgeon is planning something more than a "routine" posterior spinal fusion. Who knows.

If I were going into this now assuming a routine posterior fusion, I would assume a bit less than a week in the hospital during which I would be there as much as humanly possible. I slept there and only left for a few hours each day to go home and shower. My husband was with our daughter when I was gone. Then I would allow two weeks at home where I needed to be there to help at any time. After that, I think I would be okay returning to work.

If my other daughter requires fusion, that's what I would plan for given what her twin experienced though each case is different.

Throw this all out the window if you are correct about the two weeks in the hospital. I don't have experience with that scenario.

Good luck.
                  Last edited by Pooka1; 08-24-2008, 12:41 PM.
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Alexander was only in the hospital for 5 days and he was off all narcotics by 2 1/2 weeks post-op. I'd make sure someone was home to care for your daughter while she was taking heavy duty meds for pain, esp. if she needs to be on a schedule. Once her pain is significantly reduced and manageable, then she'll probably be okay alone. Alexander had seven weeks off of school post-op because his surgery was in the middle of the summer. He was really fine and bored and wanting a more active, normal life for 2-3 weeks before school started. I was able to leave him for as long as I needed to by that point.
                    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Hi Pooka, Laurie,

That's very helpful. Yes, from what i've been reading, 2 weeks does sound like an awful lot, but seems maybe 5 days is the average and about 2 weeks after that. Iam a single mum so it does make it difficult to plan. I haven' spoken to my boss yet cause i just didn't know how much time to take off. So thank you very much for your comments, cause it really does help to give me some idea about the timeframes. I wasn't even sure if i should be at the hospital, because i just didn't know whether she would be unconscious most of the time or what/?? so thanks for the clarifications. I also don't really know how i'm going to feel emotionally to even decide whether (or when) it's best to return to work. How do you keep your mind on work when you're constnatly thinking about and worrying over your child????

Oh well, i know it will all come together in the end.

Lisa

Comment

My daughter had surgery about one year ago. I agree with the above comments, I think 5 days in hospital is about average with no complications. I was there day and night when she was in the hospital (grandma or my husband stayed with her while I had a few short breaks to shower or eat), she needed that comfort. In the hospital, she did sleep alot, but also was awake enough and comforted by the fact that we were all there. She was off heavy pain meds within a week (may have been just a few days?? was much earlier than I had expected) of being released, and I agree that someone should be with them full time until they are weaned off of those. Every kid is different there, my daughter has a very high pain tolerance, and finally said the pills were making her brain spin, and she refused to take anymore! Also, the first few days she couldn't really move herself in bed (rolling over...), and needed alot of assistance. Probably 2 weeks after release from the hospital she could be left alone, if she's off of the heavy pain meds and able to do things for herself. Is your job close to home, that you would be able to run home and check on your daughter? My daughter was only just 12 at the time of surgery, so, I didn't really leave her home alone when she was well at that time, much less when she was recovering--

As for the emotional part of it, I was much worse the week prior to surgery than after. As soon as her doctor came out of surgery and said all had gone well, it was such a relief off of me, I can't even fully describe it. There were a few tough moments in the hospital, but nothing compared to the anxiety I felt just prior to the surgery.

I wish the best for you and your daughter--

Comment

Hi Emma,
                          thanks for your reply and kind wishes. I will certainly take your comments into account when trying to make the best decision for me and my daughter, when the time comes

LIsa

Comment

What To Expect AFter Surgery

Thanks for all the posts about surgery. Having a few general guidelines helps tp make me feel a little less helpless. I've started making arrangements with my daugter's school and have somewhat of a plan in mind. Again...I don't feel so helpless if I can take some control and plan a little.
                            Love this forum!
                            Rebecca
                            Mom of Spencer, 14- 50+degree curve and waiting for surgery date.

Comment

My daughter goes in for stapling on the 18th. I'm planning 5 days in the hospital with a total of four weeks out of school. She just started 7th grade.
                              We always have her independent study for surgeries (she also has growth rods). I try to get her to complete as much of the first week of work before surgery. Then I arrange to drop by the school each week to pick up her school work. This way I don't have the teacher's giving her too much work (some teacher's give too much and she's ahead of the class when she gets back). I also plan a few extra days to make sure all the work is complete. There are people who just don't get it that the kids are out of it for two weeks and they have that much more to catch up on.
                              It's a good idea just to keep in touch via email with the teachers, that way if for any reason she's not physically ready to go back full time she can still keep up the work.
                              Being a single mom myself, I'm lucky to have family and friends to help out so I can go back to work part-time a week after surgery. You might see if your insurance will pay to have a home care person come in for part of the day if you need to go back to work and can't leave her alone.
                              Emily

Comment

Working...
                              X