Question on Post-op Nerve Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Post-op Nerve Pain

I am twelve weeks post-surgery. My nerves began "firing up" three weeks ago, especially in the legs. It's somewhat like restless leg syndrome. I just want to keep shifting positions. (I described this jumpy sensation in another post.) Now that I upped my dose of Lyrica (similar to Neurontin or Gabapentin), it has brought down the pain element, but I still can't relax and go to sleep at night. So, I stay up and watch borrowed movies until I drop off. During the daytime, I don't notice it as much.

QUESTION 1: I know that many of you have experienced some post-operative nerve issues, like itching or something similar to the sensations I described. I just wonder HOW LONG did you experience it?

QUESTION 2: How long did you remain on 'nerve' medication such as Lyrica, Neurontin, or Gabapentin after your surgeries?

Thanks for your help!!
    Ginger
    Last edited by Ginger W.; 08-14-2008, 01:49 AM.
    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Ginger-- I took Neurontin for 5 months, but weaned down from 300mg. to 100mg. (there's nothing in-between) as well as not as often... Best wishes!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Ginger, for the first couple of months I used ice on my nerve-damaged leg and it really quieted things down. From about 3-5 months I had really weird electrical "zings" all along my incision that were so explosive they made me practically jump out of bed. I took 2.5 or 5 mgs. of Valium at night for them which stopped the zings and put me to sleep (knocked me out cold is more like it).

By 6 months most of the nerve issues had slowed way down.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Ginger,
        I am almost 9 months post-op and still have nerve pain, mostly in my right leg, shin and ankle, sometimes in my butt, and still take 600 mg Gabapentin. I just wish that the pain would go away. It mostly starts in the evening, but sometimes it starts earlier in the day. The Gabapentin stops the restless leg syndrome though so I can sleep at night. Thankfully my pain is no where near as bad as the pain I had before the surgery. I hope you can get some relief soon. Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
        X