PDA

View Full Version : Hi ho! Hi ho! It's back to work I go...

Susie*Bee
08-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi everyone! Can't believe how quickly the time has zoomed by, but tomorrow is when I start back to work. I am very anxious about it, but think it will probably be ok. Time will tell! It's going to be such a change, working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, after having more than a year off. I am a lot stronger now, but my stamina/endurance still isn't where it should be. And I still get aches and pains at times.

One of my fears is that everyone will expect me to be able to do all the things I've done in the past, and resent it (or not understand why I returned) if I don't-- but I have limitations and restrictions. For those of you who don't know, I'm the media coordinator (essentially the librarian) at an elementary school, so I'm responsible for all the day to day stuff... planning and preparing for K-5th grade classes. I have 4 classes/day for 45 minutes each, plus open times for other students to come and "switch" books, bulletin boards to do, papers to run off, book fairs to plan and run, 300-400 books circulated/day that need to be re-shelved (about 14,000 books in the library), teachers that need help, etc. I do get some help, but from high school students and some are good and some are lazy, so you never know how it will be. I also have lunch and recess duties. I do have a 30 minute lunch, but am afraid that will be my only down time. I think I can do it, but it will really be stretching me physically. I thought of some helps--I have two reachers at school-- and also a garden kneeler so I can get down to lower shelves. Any suggestions for anything else? A new brain, maybe? :rolleyes:

This first week back will be pretty much clerical-- adding and changing students in the database and similar work, plus the lunch and recess duties. Next week will be the whole enchilada. I've done about 25 hours worth of work in the last couple weeks trying to get ready, but still have a lot to do before that first class comes. Anyway, at the moment I am feeling like :eek: YIKES! (As in feeling OVERWHELMED...)

I think I will make copies of before and after x-rays for "show and tell" and hopefully that will buy me some understanding. There are many teachers and students who have missed me, so that is good... I just hope they will still be glad I'm back after the newness wears off.

I guess I'm just rambling on, sharing my concerns with my friends. BTW, I was working on my scoli scrapbook a little yesterday. I'm glad some of you shared your pics with me-- and of course, would still like some more too. :) I need to buy some more pages! Anyway, thanks so much for being my friends. After I try this workin' business out for a little bit, I'll let you know how that's going. Hugs, Susie

Singer
08-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Best of luck to you, Susie. I'm sure it will be very challenging at first until your body and mind get used to things. I would think that a lot of trial and error will be involved in terms of getting comfortable with the actual physical labor you have to do.

I think the most challenging thing about this surgery (once the acute recovery phase is over) is finding that balance between pushing yourself and protecting yourself. I'm still working on that one. I started working in an office two days a week and couldn't believe how sore I was, but the second week was better than the first.

Hope you're able to take it easy in the evenings for this first week...(like eating lots of takeout!!). Let us know how it goes.

Sharshe
08-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Susie,
You'll do fine. Just remember to try to ease back into everything. Boy even without a huge surgery going back to work after a year off would be a big change and hard to get used to. Thanks for being here for all of us now its time to get back to the kids who need you. Good Luck!
Sharon

SIsForSarah
08-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi Susie!

Boy, your school goes back early in the summer! I'm a teacher and don't start work again until the day after Labour Day.

I'm sure everyone missed you a lot! I know how much we value our librarian/media coordinator. It's such an important job and there's so much to keep track of - the fact that you've already put in so much time shows how dedicated you are and how well I'm sure your library runs.

I know you're worried about energy level at first, which is totally understandable. Working with kids all day can be exhausting (but in a good way:)). I had surgery on my tailbone last year, followed by having problems with a herniated disc and I just went back half time at first when I returned to work. Is there anyway you could do that? I did find working half-time at first helped me build up my "endurance" and I was back full-time pretty quickly, and more confident than when I first returned.

Also, grade 5s love to help (that's my grade:)) and you could probably have the grade 5 teachers help you out by organizing a "library helpers" type of program.

I know how nerve-racking/exciting the first day of school is (have you already had the "back-to-school" dreams? - I always have one where I've completely forgotten to come in the week before school starts and am running around trying to get organized in my dream!) and want to wish you good luck!

- Sarah

Susie*Bee
08-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the well wishes and advice! I really appreciate it. I'm sure it's mostly just nerves, but also a little reality check...

Chris-- it's good to know you're back at work and succeeding with it-- and that it gets better with a little more time. I will try to ease back in, but at the same time I think that will be impossible. I will definitely take it easy with the cooking and etc. at home.

Sharon-- yes, it will be nice (part of the time!) to be back with the kids, but as Sarah said, they are also exhausting. It's non-stop activity and interaction (or seems that way) the whole time I'm at school. But most of them are really nice kids. There are always some challenges, but that's life-- and they are usually nice underneath the behavior problems. ;)

Sarah-- I had to laugh when you mentioned the dreams-- they started about a month ago, and with 5th grade at that. All of a sudden there they were-- a huge class of 5th graders-- and I hadn't done a thing to get ready for them. They were feeling their oats and devoured me. :eek: That was when I realized even though the date was awhile off still, I needed to start tackling some of the jobs... and yes, I realize 5th graders are helpers too. And other than move-ins and last year, I've had these kids since kindergarten. They wouldn't really devour me... I hope! :confused: And it's all or nothing for me going back, so even though it sounds good to go back part-time for a little bit, it won't work. As it is, I'll miss Sept. 4th for seeing my scoli doc, and then 1.5 days in mid Sept. when I'm having a colonoscopy. I feel like people will think I'm a real sicko, when I'm really not. But then I wonder-- I just found out I have osteopoenia too. :( So I'm a little down at the moment because of all that.

I think this is the earliest ever for going back to school-- it's usually mid August. We get out in late May, so it's a trade-off. 180 days, no matter how you serve it up.

Qikdraw
08-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Wow Susie! Thats great that you are getting back to work. I'm sure you'll be fine. Bringing xrays is a good idea to stop those who just don't understand. I'm sure it will shock them and appologies would be coming quickly. :)

I have to let you know that my elementary school librarian really pushed me to expand my mind and read. She really added a whole lot to my life. By grade 7 I was reading 5 books a week. What you do is amazing, so while I can't thank my librarian, I'd like to thank you. :) You do amazing work.

Just be sure to not overdo it. Take it easy and lean on your helpers more. If you push yourself everything will get worse, so take your time, relax, and enjoy yourself.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Brad

Ginger W.
08-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Dear Susie,

My guess is that you'll be posting less and that's okay. You have another important place requiring your energy.

I just have to say that you've been such a support to many of us going through post-surgery hiccups and you WON'T be forgotten here, since your words are historical data on the web!

I am also guessing that your school will be thrilled to have you, even if they only get 50% of what you used to do. I have a strong suspicion that your very presence will be applauded and appreciated. Besides, you now have more WISDOM to share. Our surgeries GROW our characters and help us evolve into better human beings. Kids need to have regular contact with wise elders.

PLEASE do get someone else to shelve books, whenever possible. Okay?!

debbei
08-11-2008, 06:08 AM
Susie,

I imagine your first day(s) will really wear you out. Rest when you get home!

We'll miss you!

Jenlw
08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Good luck!!!

Let us know how everything goes!!

Susie*Bee
08-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks for all the supportive comments! Today went ok-- but I won't have kids till next week. So for right now it's less stressful and I can walk around and stretch and stuff when I want. Right now I'm mostly doing paperwork/computer stuff, so my main problem is really tense upper back muscles (pretty ache-y) and neck pain. But livable. :) Thanks again!

Janet
08-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Susie*Bee,

Good thing that this week is without the kids. Please don't hesitate to ask for help with the difficult stuff - I'm discovering that being a princess is very, very nice!

Can you take Tylenol for the tight muscles? I've been doing pool therapy for about 8 weeks. 3x per week, building core muscles, and although I am very achey afterwards, and take Tylenol, I do feel better nowadays working at the computer than previously.

As the others have said, don't overdo it and get lots of rest. And if you have any energy left at the end of the week, we'd love to hear from you.

JoAnn5
08-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Hope going back to school will be good for you, Susie. I found that having to think about something other than myself and my home helped me more than just about anything. Hope it's the same for you.

Susie*Bee
08-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Janet and Joann-- thanks for the encouragement. If it weren't for the fact that I'm achey and exhausted, I'd say it's going well. I think after awhile it will be ok. Tomorrow starts my lunch and recess duties, so that will be adding a little more stress, but hopefully ok. It will be nice to see the kids. :D It helps that I really like kids. ;)

JamieR
08-13-2008, 05:59 PM
I am glad you are going back to work. Take it easy and don't do to much. I bet everyone is happy to have you back !!

Louisse
08-14-2008, 03:39 AM
Hi Susie
It's great to hear you are back to work and I hope it is going ok - you will no doubt be tired and achey. Thanks for all your posts over the months - you have been very informative and supportive and most of all (for me) very positive. Now it's time to 'get back to normal'. I hope you still get the time to pop back and post, 'cos your input will be missed.
btw great photos you posted.
Thanks again for being part of this forum.
Take Care
Louisse

Susie*Bee
08-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Well, a small one anyway, but it seems big to me! :rolleyes: I worked FIVE 8-hour days in a row, including having lunch and recess duties the last 3 days. Amazing! I will rest up this weekend, except normal stuff and going to church tomorrow... so I'll be ready to tackle the classes and all that entails. Oh, that's right, I offered to go clothes shopping with my daughter who's about to head back to college. We'll see if that happens or not... :confused:

I did ok at school, but by the time I came home each day I was pretty beat and usually laid down for about half an hour to rest... then pretty much rested in the evenings. Now-- just 177 days to go till school's out. :rolleyes: (or should it be: :eek: !!!)

Thanks, Jamie and Louisse, for your encouraging posts. :) Louisse-- it's almost time for you-- I know you'll do fine and hope you have figured out a way to have someone post so we can hear the good news afterward! I may not be posting much at all during the week, but found it was my little time of relaxing-- to read the new posts on the forum. ;)

Hugs to all, Susie

debbei
08-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Good for you Susie! I'm glad things went well for you. Are you getting help on the things that aren't easy for you to reach/manage?

I'm used to working from home. I go into the office maybe once a week. But, even though I haven't had surgery yet, on days when I go into the office, I come home POOPED, and I need to take a little nap. LOL

Singer
08-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Good work, Susie! I am also slogging through 8-hour days in the office but thankfully only 2 days a week....singing, too. It's great to get out of the house and think about something OTHER than our bodies, isn't it??

Susie*Bee
08-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Yes, Chris! Yay! We're making progress! Glad to hear you are doing so well. :cool:

loves to skate
08-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Susie,
We just got back from vacation with the grandkids today so haven't had much time to post in the past week or so. I'm glad to hear that you are doing well back on the job. I'll bet you are really great with the kids because you are so great with us adults with our concerns and worries. We are all just big kids after all and you are definitely a people person. I'm sure that once you get used to all of the activity at school, it will energize you. Take care and God Bless. Sally

tillgurl
08-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Susie, when did you have your surgery?
Is your job physical at all....?

I had surgery at the end of June...and MIIIISS my job!
But it involves alot of bending over to serve customers and lifting heavy boxes. I took a 6 month leave of absence until December when I'm done my first semester at my first year of college.
I figured that if my doctor said I can do sports after 6 months, that I should wait that long to work again.
But I'm moving out for school anyways, so whatever lol.

How did people treat you when you went back?
Because I'm also nervous that when I go back people will want me to work hard like I used to.
I still feel like my co-workers and friends dont totally understand just how serious the surgery and that while i may not be in PAIN, I am still am in discomfort for sure.

Ginger W.
08-18-2008, 11:41 PM
The idea of an 8 hour work day sounds so overwhelming to me now!

You've come so far, Susie!

Let us know how teaching the class groups went for you. Didn't that start today?

Ginger

Susie*Bee
08-19-2008, 05:38 AM
It IS a bit overwhelming for me, but hopefully will get better as I adjust. The main thing is the JOLT of going from a relaxing day to a stressful, high-sction day with no real down time. Yesterday I was exhausted and discouraged, but I still think it is do-able. We'll see. The jury is still out. :rolleyes: I was great to see the kids and the classes were fine, but it's just the non-relenting busy-ness of a full day with no breaks to speak of. It's hard!!! :eek: I'll let you know after I've tried it for awhile. Thanks for asking! Susie

SIsForSarah
08-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi Susie!

Don't get discouraged - it sounds like you're doing great! For what it's worth, the first week with the kids always completely exhausts me and I usually end up having to take a nap after the first day (partly due to the usual sleepless night the night before the first day:)). And this was happening to Ultimate-and-soccer-playing, bike-for-hours, not-having-herniated-disc-problems-yet, twentysomething me. So I can only imagine what it would be like coming back from having extensive fusion surgery later in life as you did. Just as with any endeavour requiring a lot of energy, I think you have to build up your working-with-kids endurance again. The first week will be tiring, but it will get better. And I've started to learn that the school will still run if I take the occasional day off (better to do that then run yourself into the ground and have to go on leave). Good luck with the rest of the week - I'm sure it will only get better from here!

- Sarah

Qikdraw
08-19-2008, 03:12 PM
It IS a bit overwhelming for me, but hopefully will get better as I adjust. The main thing is the JOLT of going from a relaxing day to a stressful, high-sction day with no real down time. Yesterday I was exhausted and discouraged, but I still think it is do-able. We'll see. The jury is still out. :rolleyes: I was great to see the kids and the classes were fine, but it's just the non-relenting busy-ness of a full day with no breaks to speak of. It's hard!!! :eek: I'll let you know after I've tried it for awhile. Thanks for asking! Susie

Keep up the good work Susie! :) I'm glad things are going well for you, even if a bit difficult. Just don't overdo it please. If you need to sit down for a few minutes, sit down. There is no sense in hurting yourself. So be careful!

Brad

Wishing
08-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Dear Susie*Bee,

I'm glad you're managing all the demands of your job even though you're getting tired. Can you talk to someone about having a little help? Can you get a volunteer person to help with reshelving and doing some of the busy work so that you can save some energy. Since you have physical limitations, the school is probably required under the ADA (Americans with Disability Act) to make accomodations for you. I would think that would entail providing an assistant for you, and one cannot be fired because of a disability as I understand it. I got tired reading your original description of all your duties and needed to take a nap. However, I'm sure on the plus side, it must be nice being out with your peers in the work scene.
Do take good care and don't overdo. Do ask for help is needed. Rita

nzgirl
08-20-2008, 03:13 AM
Hi Suzy!
Wow... you're doing great! Can you take short breaks in the day and take a rest somewhere? When I start working, it's likely that I'll have my own office so I'm planning to get a rollout mat thing that I can lie on for a rest, or a couch. As it is at the moment, 8 months post-op (I think!) I'm still needing rests by mid-afternoon on the couch. I'm also working hard to strengthen my postural muscles to increase my endurance.
You're doing well, if it cumulates and you get worn out, is there an option of going part time to build up to full time work? Or splitting your day into two four hour blocks and taking a long lunch? I'm just thinking creatively, I imagine it might be hard in your line of work to do that, but don't be afraid to ask.
Take care!!

Susie*Bee
08-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Awww... you guys are all so nice. :) I wish I had more time to write, but have to get ready. Just want to say that I appreciate your concerns and all, and if there was any way I could ask for help or different hours, I would try for that. Unfortunately, this is pretty much all or none, and I don't have any other options. I do have a few high school workers who do some things for me. I may get a parent volunteer at some time to help with re-shelving. But that would only be because I don't have enough time in the day to get everything done, not because they think I could use a hand. I'm afraid it's pretty much like if I can't do the tasks that come with my job, I should move over and let someone else get hired. So I'll do my best. I feel funny asking for help, although yesterday I had someone else get a new crate of milk cartons out of a cooler. I knew there was no way I should/could lift it from down where it was, and they weigh quite a lot. I don't have any breaks where I could go lie down. It'll be ok. I think I'll be alright-- and time will tell. I am glad my scoli appt. is next week, so I can check on things then. Yesterday my neck/shoulder/upper back area was cramping up and very achey by the end of the day, and my lower back ached-- and I got occasional sharp pains in my mid back. :eek: Better go, running out of time. Thanks again! :)Susie

Singer
08-20-2008, 08:23 AM
I suspect my opinion is not a popular one, but I strongly feel that my first priority is to protect my back for the rest of my life. That doesn't mean I don't intend to have a life -- but it does mean that my life is different than it was before the surgery. I'm still looking for the balance between pushing myself and abandoning certain things....but if I were consistently getting sharp spasming pains from working, I would consider changing careers. I'm not trying to counsel you, Susie -- just stating how it is for me.

I've been working (mostly computer work) for over 3 weeks now, partly in the office and partly at home, and I was very sore in the beginning, but I could tell it was just muscular, and it's gotten less and less as my body has gotten used to the new routine. I think it takes time to recognize what's simple muscle soreness and what is too much for us to handle.

In other words, based on trial, error, and instinct, I've abandoned gardening (something I loved), major house cleaning (don't love it, ha ha), and amusement parks, but I've pushed through soreness to continue singing, working, and hiking.

I have spoken. :cool:

Susie*Bee
08-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Chris-- I so much appreciate your "I have spokens" interspersed throughout the threads... ;) And I like this one too, and I totally agree with you. My back is my priority also and I have taken really careful care of it, but right now I need to see if this works ok. I have no options here for some other work (that I can think of...) You have to imagine two tiny towns with populations of less than 1000 each, plus people sprinkled all over out in the "country"-- like me. Put a school in the middle, on a two-lane highway. This is my life. There are very few businesses to speak of, and very little job turnover. There's at least a half hour commute to any bigger towns that would have jobs. I enjoy working with the kids, reading stories, etc. It's the rest of the work that's the hard part, plus the fairly long day-- partly because I'm not used to it. Today I feel ok-- but I didn't have both 1st grade and kindergarten classes in the afternoon, finishing off my day... They can be soooo cute, but they are also so active and demand a LOT of energy.

I would RATHER stay home-- I enjoy that also, and have relished this year off... heavens, I still have ALMOST ALL of the projects I wanted to do over the year still waiting for me to start, so I KNOW I have plenty to fill my time at home. Unfortunately, we have our last little daughter still in college, and my income would come in extremely handy. If this doesn't work out, I will try to figure something else out. I'm just hoping it will, and that it will just take a few weeks to get used to the extra energy and busyness. I'm not going to push myself to the limit and do damage. I have my list of questions for my scoli doc, whom I'll see next Thursday. They include asking about the neck aches, etc. But it did that some anyway, before I went back to work. It's quite possible I have a problem there (in my neck). I'll try to find out if I'm going to be making things worse by working. BTW-- the sharp pain I felt was after school, and just an on and off thing for a few seconds... no consistent spasms or anything. I think it is mostly muscular; not used to this regimen of not relaxing, etc. :rolleyes: I think I'll be able to figure out within a month if this will work or not. I REALLY work hard at sticking to my restrictions too, and have given up and/or adjusted my life to that. Thanks for your concern! :) Susie

Susie*Bee
08-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Hey everyone! I made it!!! It's been a rough first week with classes-- have to confess I cried all the way home on Monday and then laid down for 1.5 hours.... total exhaustion and massive feelings of being overwhelmed. :eek: What a JOLT when you've just been puttering around and resting when you want to. :rolleyes: It really is a totally busy 8 hour day. The good thing is that I think with each passing day it got a little better. Yes, I am ready to REST as soon as I get home. Usually by reading a book while lying down on my bed-- takes all the weight off my back and feet and legs. (EVERY part of me is tired...) But then I am ok after a bit.

On the flip side of the tiredness issue is the highlight of seeing all those kids. I just love them! And it was VERY exciting and encouraging for me to see they they had obviously missed me. My replacement last year was a very pretty young college grad who hadn't gotten a teaching job yet. It was a great job for her and she enjoyed it, because she had every grade level to work with... but I was afraid the kids would be disappointed to see me back. Au contraire! They seem so excited and genuinely happy to have me back... I have always worked hard to know their names (over 400 of 'em) so my challenge now is to remember all the old ones after more than a year's passage (and they have grown so much and changed in appearance -but I would still give myself a B+ for remembering most) and to also learn all the kindergarten and 1st grade kids-- and any new kids from last year or this... so probably around 150 new faces and names. I can do it! It just may take a little while. ;)

This coming Thursday is my scoli appointment. I will check and double-check to make sure I'm not doing anything that could cause problems. Otherwise, even though this is HARD WORK, I think I will be able to do it, as long as I can come home and collapse for awhile. I am so happy my hubby is understanding and helpful... we may be eating very simple meals for a long time, unless he does the cooking! :D And Singer/Chris-- I pretty much skip the housecleaning too. A little picking up, sometimes sweeping, never vacuuming. And I don't get down to do things like scrubbing. Light dusting is ok, but probably not on bottom shelves. If it gets bad enough, he'll do it. He does the vacuuming-- and neither of us is that bothered if it's not spotless. :rolleyes:

I'll let you know how my appt. goes.... and how I'm doing after more time passes with the job. Thanks again for all your concerns and care. You are ALL so important to me! :) Hugs, Susie

CherylPJ
08-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Susie*B

I'll bet that you are great! Any group would benefit from your enthusiasm and energy. What a perfect job for you.

I wonder if your sharing might not have added advantages with 5th graders. Some of them may face similar concerns in the near future and remember your successes.

Best of luck and thank you, again!

Singer
08-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Glad to hear it, Susie. I would imagine that the emotional/mental benefits of your job, and the satisfaction it brings you and the kids, makes the exhaustion worth it...and I'm sure the exhaustion will lessen as long as you're not hurting yourself (doesn't sound like you are).

My husband recently commented that I seem much happier since I started working again. I am definitely happier. And since he works at home, I think he's just glad to finally get me out of the house.....!

SIsForSarah
08-28-2008, 02:31 PM
How are you doing Susie Bee? I just spent a few days setting up my classroom, and boy am I sore (lower back). I can only imagine what it's like with a job that involves constant "set-up" (in the library). Hope you're doing well.

- Sarah

Ginger W.
08-28-2008, 10:38 PM
We're eager to hear how things went today with the doctor.

As far as your neck goes, please know that you probably don't have the natural curve or lordosis in your cervical spine. It's a scoliosis thing. I have used neck traction to stay out of trouble. Now that I'm just three months post-op, I use a device recommended by Pam (txmarinemon). It is designed to cradle your neck along the base of the skull and take the weight of the head off the shoulders and neck allowing the muscles to let go of their tension. I've been amazed at how well it works for me. Here's the link . . .

http://www.protherapysupplies.com/pd-dr-real-ease-neck-support.cfm?gclid=COyzzOmq_5QCFQwxiQodNEbe1w

Susie*Bee
08-29-2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks for asking, Ginger. I'll try to quickly tell, since I've got to get ready for school...

I had new x-rays taken-- and my doctor was very patient and kind answering all of my questions and responding to my concerns. There is nothing wrong with the instrumentation and my spine looks fine. The neck problem is from arthritis. All the other aches and pains that I described to him (tenderness in the scapulars and surrounding areas, occasional sharp pains, burning ache in lower back sometimes, etc., he said may never go away. But we both agreed I was doing fine. I don't feel the need for pain meds for any of that-- more of an annoying problem than a severe pain, although my pain tolerance has always been pretty high. Anyway, I'm fine-- and it's fine for me to continue working, etc. He'll see me again in 6 months. I may add some more later, but that's roughly it.

It was a LONG day yesterday though-- the trip is long enough, and the time there, and then we stopped on the way home to run errands, etc., and ate out a steak house to celebrate our 36th anniversary which was two days earlier. When we were running errands I got a call from our oldest daughter (30) who said she'd had to have emergency laser eye surgery yesterday to repair a torn retina. When I got home I had 3 or 4 messages from my sister who said our brother was in the VA hospital with very serious bacterial pneumonia in both lungs. So it was a draining day, although I enjoyed it just fine before those other things came into play.

Now it's off to school (and Sarah, I'll try to write about that part later) and Fridays are my busiest days, class-wise. Hugs, Susie

mmw
08-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Congrats on going back to work!
Man I cannot imagine feeling THAT good that working would be in my future.

Susie*Bee
08-30-2008, 11:39 AM
mmw-- that's because I am a year ahead of you in recovery! You will build up more strength and endurance-- it just takes time. I'm still not where I'd like to be, but maybe I never will be. I will forge ahead thinking that I will continue with forward progress, though. ;) If we don't push ourselves (when the time is right, but not before) then how would we ever know? You still have LOTS of healing to do. I am still healing, so think about you! Read Ginger's blog-- very enlightening and entertaining, but presents a pretty good picture of what your body is going through, the trauma it's had, etc., etc. Find her signature and her blog site is listed there... it's just a couple of posts back in this thread. Keep in mind that I had hoped to return to work a year ago-- but there was absolutely no way I could have. But now, one year later, here I am! :)

Ginger-- can you tell me how that neck thing works? I couldn't figure it out from what it says on the site (I'm sure it's one of those "duh" things, but...) Do you just use it when you are sleeping, during your normal day things, or what? Maybe you can just email me about it. I JUST got my digital x-rays, and I think my neck has normal lordosis. I wish I could post it. And change the ones I have in my signature to some of these. Unfortunately they are windows ones and I can't open them on my apple computer. I looked at them after school yesterday though and they are SO MUCH BETTER looking that the photos I took of my x-ray films hanging in the docs office. Imagine that! :rolleyes: I asked my SIL who is a software engineer if there is a way for me to get these transferred to my apple computer, but haven't heard yet. Probably if there is, I wouldn't know how to do it anyway. :o

Sarah, Cheryl, Singer and all-- I am doing much better at school. It is still extremely tiring and I come home to rest for awhile... but I think it will work. We have been eating fairly simple meals and hubby has been doing the dishes. The kids (at school) are pretty good. And yes, I have explained to all of them about my surgery. Actually, I explained just prior to it, because I wasn't finishing the year out (so I could have a couple of extra weeks for recovery and be ready to resume my job at 3 months-- HA HA HA!) So all last year some of them were disappointed and concerned. I've explained that they can be my helpers by picking things up off the floor, etc. if something falls or gets dropped. The other day we had a tornado drill. One student noticed I didn't have my head down as much as the rest of them-- so I explained I couldn't bend it forward as much because of the surgery... :eek: Plus I sat on a short stool instead of being on the floor. ;)

All in all I am doing great. I feel like "the little engine that could" and can see the top of the mountain-- I'll make it and it will work out. I feel satisfied that my doctor said everything looks great. Time will tell with any problems. And in some ways I am glad to know that some of this tenderness/soreness/aches and pains may always be here. That makes it so I won't be always wondering when I'll get totally recovered. I may be about there, but just with some side effects that aren't the best, but are acceptable. I have my limitations and restrictions, but they are also workable. I mentioned climbing ladders, as my PT had me work on that-- just short step-ladders, carrying a light load... but my surgeon said NO. He's had a couple of his patients fall off ladders. Oh well. I'll just have to have someone else do things like that-- or reserve it for a few select times when I don't think I'll mess up. :eek: My main worry is for the book fairs with all those heavy boxes to unpack and put in displays that I set up. But I'm working on how to get that done, asking for some help-- but not so that the powers that be think I'm not doing my job. That's the tricky part!

Susie*Bee
09-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel... and I can see it! :D Just wanted to give some of you "hope"-- if you think it's taking forever and a day to recover. I'm doing fine still. I still get tired/worn out, but I did before the surgery too. :eek: I know how to TRY to pace myself and not overdo, but it's not always possible. I will NOT do something that I know is really bad for me... too much is at stake here! My priorities are different, and both my hubby and I know I need to rest when I get home. Other than that, it's going great.

I will now have something else to work on during this year... my youngest darling daughter (almost 23) is officially engaged now (been dating this wonderful guy for 2.5 years, and we are delighted) and wedding plans are in their beginning stages, probably for mid June. So it will be a busy year with planning and preparations-- and hopefully there will be at least a couple of weeks after school is out to do all the last minute stuff... So that is exciting news for us. (But busy news too... ;) ) Hugs, Susie

loves to skate
09-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi Susie,

I'm am so glad you are able to see the top of the mountain and the light at the end of the tunnel. With God, all things are possible. What fun to be able to plan a wedding. It is a real blessing when you can embrace your daughters intended. I hope you will post some wedding photos for us to see next year. Love, Sally

Qikdraw
09-17-2008, 05:43 PM
So what is the latest update?

How are things going at work for you?

Well I hope. :)

Brad

Susie*Bee
09-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Brad-- I'm still there!!! ;) I'm doing ok-- I feel like I'm swinging on a pendulum sometimes-- some days I feel good about it all, other days I feel overwhelmed. In general it's ok though. If I had my "druthers" I'd be taking it easy at home, but this is probably good for me. And I do enjoy working with the kids. It's probably just about double the amount of work I'd like to be doing. My hubby is so supportive though and helps me rest up after I get home-- he's been doing the dishes most of the time.

I had my first colonoscopy yesterday, so that was an added joy this week. :eek: But I did have Monday afternoon off and all day yesterday, so that was a break from school. The newly engaged couple is coming here for the weekend while we explore outdoor wedding venues, etc... I'll be glad when the basics are figured out!

debbei
09-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Jeez Susie,

you're having to appreciate time off work to have a colonoscopy!! :) I'm glad you're able to enjoy the time with the kids. Try to take it easy when you can. Not like wedding planning is a stress-free time though!