Surgery Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Soon

Our daughters surgery is in a little over 2 weeks. It is very scary and while my practical side says we are doing the right thing, I am scared out of my wits. I find myself crying throughout the day and having trouble sleeping. She seems so perfect (she has no pain). There are 2 ops 1 week apart.

Would love to hear from anyone in Australia who has used Dr Andrew Cree in sydney.

AusMummy,

I sent an email to Del (AussieMum) to check in here. She's also in Sydney, and Dr. Cree did a great job on her daughter back around the time I had my surgery (Feb 2008).

Sure she'll be glad to answer all the questions she can!

Best regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Ausmummy,

Aussiemum here, Del, Pam emailed me to let me know you were on the forum.

Please email me delphine.misst@bigpond.com and I will give you my home number.

My daughter, Elysia, had surgery with Dr Cree this year, 2 weeks before her 13th B'day. She was fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed. If you saw her today you wouldn't believe she had spinal surgery 6 months ago!

I know exactly what your going through and I too was a basket case before this surgery (some might say still am - LOL! Not now Wattles!!!!).

Elysia was cleared on our last visit to swim but no breastroke until the 12 months is up! Put's too much strain on the back, but he said after 12 months she could bunjy jump if she wanted to! LOL!

You can also read all about it on our blog page!

Talk with you soon!
      Del
      Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
      Sydney - Australia
      Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
      Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
      Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
      L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Hi AusMummy,

All I can tell you is to always remember why your daughter is having the surgery and remember that if she doesn't have it she could eventually get pain and in some cases not necessarily hers you might eventually be able to see that she has scoliosis. In my case I had a big rib hump and I didnt really have pain but my shoulder (the one that stuck out) got sore every now and then. I didn't really go through any pain with my surgery and all I can say is keep a brave face on for your daughter, it will really help her get through this. I hated seeing my mom upset.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
        I'm 19 years old, had surgery 5 years ago
        3 curves Middle curve - 65 fused to 13 Bottom curve 35- fixed on it's own to 16!
        Fused from C7 to L1

Comment

Hi AusMummie,

I live in Perth and my 14 yo is due for surgery in November. Like you, I am scared witless and don't know what to expect. I did consider not going through with the surgery because initially we thought she was finished growing, but not to be. I do believe it's the right thing to do and part of me is looking forward to it as i know it will be the start of a new beginning for her, but at the same time i just want it to be over.

This is a great website because until i found it there was no one to talk to and no support groups or anything here in Perth. I would love to link up with someone else who is living in Australia and especially Perth, if they're out there.

Let me know how the surgery goes. I will keep an eye out for your posts.

Hugs and best wishes to you both.

Lisa and Tahlia
          Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Comment

Working...
          X