My strange leg pain stopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My strange leg pain stopped

I almost don't want to post anything about this as to not jinx myself (knock on wood), bu the leg pain that I've been having since December hasn't bothered me for at least 3 days now. I can't quite figure it out. That's the pain that got me to the orthopedic Dr's who eventually told me it's due to my progressing scoliosis. ??????????

I've been using my treadmill regularly since April, but for the past month, I've also added my Total Gym (doing arm and leg work). Not sure if that has anything to do with it. So I asked myself this morning, if my leg pain is gone, WHY am I having this surgery? Oh yeah, I reminded myself, because each curve is over 60 degrees and progessing like crazy. SIGH....I guess I really wish I didn't need the surgery and trying to talk myself out of it. Nope, I can't do that.

But in the mean time, I am very happy that my leg doesn't hurt. I hope it stays that way.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

YAY!

Good to hear!

Exercises could have something to do with that. My PT had mentioned that it does help. Something about the muscles in the stomach area need to be in balance with the muscles of the back. So maybe you're in balance now

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

pain helped by exercise

In my case exercise(Pilates and walking) did help reduce pain, increase stamina and a feeling of well-being.....but the scoliosis kept progressing and, in time, it helped less and less. However, I went into surgery in the best condition possible and that really helped my recovery.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Congrats!

How is your leg pain now? I didn't even check to see when you posted this! My right leg has hurt for about a week now so I've tried to wear more comfy shoes and I stopped walking hoping it would go away but it hasn't. Just thinking, maybe I can blame that on my Scoliosis too?
        Becky-29 New Market, TN
        Spinal Fusion 3/17/09
        T3 to L3-73 degree curve to a 20ish

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength

Comment

Originally posted by becky331 View Post
          How is your leg pain now? I didn't even check to see when you posted this! My right leg has hurt for about a week now so I've tried to wear more comfy shoes and I stopped walking hoping it would go away but it hasn't. Just thinking, maybe I can blame that on my Scoliosis too?

Hi Becky,

Leg pain is still gone, although since I overdid it on the weekend, my right lower back and hip have been hurting. They're better than they were on Saturday but still sore.

Comment

Before surgery, I was doing Pilates and yoga AND daily hiking up the canyon near my home. All these things really helped reduce the pain. I had some crazy hopes that if my core muscles got really REALLY strong then my curves would stop progressing. Didn't work! By the end, I was gaining a degree a month!

Like Karen said, the great thing about all of my activities, especially the Pilates, was the fact that I could go into surgery physically prepared. As a result, I was able to walk sooner and better than most post-surgery patients. The yoga helped me to regain my center of gravity and maintain my balance. The hiking gave me inspiration so I wanted to regain my strength post-surgery. (I can now do a mile UP the canyon trail and a mile back down. I'm three months post-op.)

Anyhow, it sounds like you are doing a great job with your prep, Debbei, and I'm glad your leg pain has cleared up. I bet it's all that strengthening you are doing!
            Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
            May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
            Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

That's awesome and I hope it's still gone! Mine is still here and getting worse..the entire right side of my body aches and then falls asleep. When are you having surgery? It's definitely a scary and intimidating thing to face! I know finding this forum sure helped ease some of my anxiousness!
              Becky-29 New Market, TN
              Spinal Fusion 3/17/09
              T3 to L3-73 degree curve to a 20ish

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength

Comment

Originally posted by becky331 View Post
                That's awesome and I hope it's still gone! Mine is still here and getting worse..the entire right side of my body aches and then falls asleep. When are you having surgery? It's definitely a scary and intimidating thing to face! I know finding this forum sure helped ease some of my anxiousness!
                Hi Becky,

It's pretty much still gone, although I feel a few twinges now and then. NOthing like it used to be. My surgery is on 10/15--one week from tomorrow and I feel so not ready! These family things have got to ease up. LOL Just today my youngest child came home with LICE!! We finished up the treatment and did mountains of laundry and my husband is now vaccuming. PRAY for me that those little pesky bugs are gone and I don't get them!

I think I'll call the surgeon's office tomorrow to ask if I should use a treatment. Not sure since it's POISON. ICK.

Comment

Working...
                X