Some exciting news!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some exciting news!

So, this is a little unrelated to the forum here, but I consider you guys all as my friends...
    I am now engaged, to my wonderful boyfriend! He supported me all through the amazingly tough time I have had over the past few years with my scoliosis, and also the surgery. I knew he was in it for the long haul when he had to do some of the more unpleasant nursing tasks that were on offer once I got home (no, I'll never tell!). So I just wanted to share this exciting news with you all. To save relaying a long story, I have cut and pasted an email I sent to one of my friends on the site... sorry Roseanne you'll get a re-cap!

Yesterday he took me for a trip to Tawharanui, ( a beautiful national park which is beach and bush, and our favorite place in NZ) to our favorite spot on a little bridge that is covered by pohutukawa trees and peeks out to sea, and proposed. Of course he already knew what the answer would be :-) He asked me if I would do it without a ring (which of course I would have), but he had smuggled one in without me knowing. The funny thing was, I had kind of noticed that he was just slightly different to normal, and wondered if he was going to do it... and even on the way up in the car said "would you be nervous when you were going to ask me.." so he was like... "er, a little" giving nothing away! I wasn't trying to fish for info, but I was kind of thinking oh wouldn't it be nice, but then didn't want to set myself up for a let down!

He had champagne in the car on ice waiting, so we went to the road that you see on the way in and have a view out to Kauwau Island (where we have been on the boat lots of times) and over towards Tawharanui, and then into Kauwau Bay, and had some champagne there.

So, sorry if anyone didn't really want to know about this on a scoli site, but I am so thrilled to share it with my friends here.
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Thats great news! Congratulations! Have you set any dates yet or are you still in the afterglow?

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

That's wonderful!

NZ-- I'm ecstatic for you! I'm so glad you shared your big news with all of us. It sounds like you had a nice, meaningful and romantic day out. Do keep us posted of your plans. Big hugs, Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congratulations to you both! What wonderful news. I am happy for you.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Nope, no date yet but I'm hoping that it will be within the next two years. I have a busy schedule being a doctoral student, so the best time would be summer 2010, but don't know if I can wait that long! I'm thrilled I'll have a straight back for the wedding, and my hair will be long enough to cover my scar by then too!
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm SO happy for you! Congratulations to you and Brian
            2000 34*L/39*T
            2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
            (initially planned T4-L1)
            12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Originally posted by nzgirl View Post
              Nope, no date yet but I'm hoping that it will be within the next two years. I have a busy schedule being a doctoral student,
              Wow! A doctorial student? What are you studying?

so the best time would be summer 2010, but don't know if I can wait that long! I'm thrilled I'll have a straight back for the wedding,
              It is hard to wait until marriage specially after a romantic outing like that. However it is good that you'll have a straight back!

and my hair will be long enough to cover my scar by then too!
              I'm confused... You're getting married nude?

Brad
              2 Harrington rods
              Luque method used
              Dr David Bradford
              Postop xray

Comment

Thanks all for your kind wishes,... in answer to your Q's Brad, I'm studying clinical psychology, hoping to specialize in Neuropsychology (maybe). No, not getting married nude, although there's a novel idea. It's amazing how many of the dresses are backless or really low at the back, so I was thinking a little less bride-of-frankenstien and more bombshell would be nice ;-)
                msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nzgirl View Post
                  Thanks all for your kind wishes,... in answer to your Q's Brad, I'm studying clinical psychology, hoping to specialize in Neuropsychology (maybe).
                  Wow. Impressive. My doctor wanted me to see a psychologist for awhile when I was 13. What tipped that off was me running out of a hospital cause they wanted to stick more needles in me. I always thought that running away from pain is a sign of sanity. lol

No, not getting married nude, although there's a novel idea. It's amazing how many of the dresses are backless or really low at the back, so I was thinking a little less bride-of-frankenstien and more bombshell would be nice ;-)
                  Yes that would be nice! I'm sure you'll be a beautiful, straight, bride! Whenever that might be.

Brad
                  2 Harrington rods
                  Luque method used
                  Dr David Bradford
                  Postop xray

Comment

There are products out on the market that will reduce the appearance of your scar. My daughter is a dancer and the top of her scar shows above her leotards. We got a scar product that was like a bandage and used it on the upper half of her scar. It worked very well. Her scar is hardly noticable where we used that.
                    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

CONGRADULATIONS!! I love to read good news on here no matter what the topic!

Mederma also works well for scars, not that I EVER cover mine up! I earned that badge of honor and use it to tell others my story. I actually have had people tell me (after seeing my scar and asking about it.) that they know someone with scoli. I give them the info about our local support group or this forum, to pass on. I "pay it forward" every chance I get. Think how much this forum has helped you, don't others deserve to hear from you about your story and this site? Be proud of your scar, you earned the right to do so. Best wishes.

Comment

Dear NZ,

I think your news flash has EVERYTHING to do with scoliosis! The truth is, we CAN go through these enormous surgeries and move forward in our lives. People adore us, and our surgeries only further define us as amazing people who can pass through life's storms and get to the other side as stronger, more attractive individuals.

Thanks for sharing!
                        Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
                        May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
                        Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Congratulations NZgirl! Sounds like you have found a very good man!!!There's nothing like post-surgery nursing to find out how supportive your partner will be in tough times - my husband of five years was a GEM. You have so much to look forward to!!! The other side of recovery, finishing school and marriage! I'm thinking these next few years are going to be mighty busy for you!!! All goodness though!
                          Lisa, Portland, OR
                          49 y.o.
                          46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
                          L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
                          Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
                          T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Comment

Congratulations NZgirl, Your news has everything to do with this scoliosis forum. It is wonderful to let others know that you can have scoliosis, survive a difficult surgery and continue to have a full life. Your husband to be has been tried and tested and has passed with flying colors. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful life ahead and together will be able to deal with whatever life brings.

Comment

That's good advice about the scar cover up stuff. I have some Mederma that I was applying (or rather, the BF was applying), and also some snail extract stuff, but I just stopped at one point. I think I would go for the tape that covers it completely. When the time comes, I'll put a post up asking for products. I haven't seen anything here in New Zealand that covers scars, so I might be importing some!

Still loving the champagne
                              msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X