My wedding gown (I was a challenge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wedding gown (I was a challenge)

The challenge of being married in a lovely wedding gown began on a cold March day in 1984 when I was 48 yrs old. I drove to the Mademoiselle Bridal Shop, walked in alone, trying to exude as much confidence as I could. A nice lady approached little me asking if she could help me. I said, "I will be married in August and need to buy a wedding gown....I know I'm a challenge."

Without batting an eye, she showed me some gowns and asked me to pick a couple that I liked....and then I would try them on. I did. Can you imagine how I looked? It draped on me like a tent. I picked the first one I tried on. Then she called in Jay, whose shop it was. He walked in, introduced himself, and I said, "I know I'm a challenge, but can you help me look good for my wedding?" Seeing me with the "white lacey tent" draped on me, he calmly said, "Don't worry about a thing. You will be a beautiful bride on your wedding day."

So I went for regular fittings, and Jay was always very sweet, doing a lot of measuring, and never acting as if it was hard work for him. He virtually had to rebuild the top of the gown and sleeves to compensate for my very severe scoliosis. One day he told me that there would not be any charge for the alterations, I would just pay for the gown. I fully expected to pay for the alterations....so I asked him why he would do that for me. He said, "You know that song, *What I did for love*? I said yes, and was almost in tears as he said that's why he was doing it free of charge. Oh, my! What a guy!!

He did a wonderful job on the gown and veil....and in August Adam and I were married. We honeymooned in Montreal. On the way back, we stopped at the Thousand Islands on the St. Lawrence River, then to my hometown. While there, we returned the slip I borrowed from Jay for my wedding day. THAT is when he confessed to Adam and me that when he first saw me, and the gown I had picked, he had NO idea what he was going to do with me.

I told Jay that he couldn't have done a better job for me because I was indeed beautifully dressed on my wedding day, and it's something I would never forget. Here is a picture of me just before I was married, looking out the church door.....a favorite picture of mine. The dress and veil covers everything. Couldn't change my short stature, but I looked like a little bride doll. We were very happy. As my grandmother always told me, "Where there's a will, there's a way".

http://pixie36w.bravepages.com/GD-PIXIE/PIXIEGOWN.jpg -- Monday, August 4th, is our 24th anniversary!

Maybe you could share the clothing challenges you had when you were married?
    Last edited by Gerry; 08-02-2008, 09:04 PM.
    TIMING IS EVERYTHING!

Beautiful!

That is indeed a beautiful picture. I am so happy for you and Adam.

Congratulations, and blessings to Jay for his work for/of love.
    Signature I'm Laceys mom

Comment

That is a beautiful picture, and a wonderful story!

I had no clothing problems with me, other than the fact that I had grown out of my suit pants, so they stayed unbuttoned and held up with a belt.

My wife however wore brand new shoes and her feet were killing her. My back was sooo sore as well, both of us laughed later that night as the first things going through both of our minds after we started moving during the ceremony was 'Oh that feels good'.

Brad
      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
      Still have 57 degree curve
      2 Harrington rods
      Luque method used
      Dr David Bradford
      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
      Preop xray (with brace on)
      Postop xray

Comment

Hi Gerry,

You certainly were a beautiful bride. The gown is exquisite. Thanks for sharing.

Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Yes, Gerry-- you look fantastic in the wedding pic! The dress is gorgeous-- Jay did a wonderful job making it just right for you! I am so happy for you and Adam-- and coming up on 24 years is fantastic! So Happy Anniversary tomorrow!!! Hugs, Susie
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks to all

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. I am not sure what we will do tomorrow to celebrate our anniversary, since we have no car. I'll probably cook dinner (not sure what yet....maybe steak), and I know we will reminisce about our wedding day, which was very HOT and humid...and we will laugh about the funny things that happened. I'll try to make our celebration last all week.....if I can.
            TIMING IS EVERYTHING!

Comment

Happy Anniversary Gerry!!!

I hope you are having a wonderful day. My husband and I will be married seven years next week (8/11).

I was also married in Buffalo,NY (born and raised- all of my family still lives there). Actually, I was married in Cheektowaga.

Clothes shopping has never been my favorite thing. When I was a teenager I tried so hard to "hide" under bulky blazers. Sometime aroung 22 or 23 I became very comfortable in my skin and quit the blazers and the oversized shirts. They just made me look boxy. I don't want to accentuate my back- but always dressing in a giant garbage bag wasn't the answer. I still look for the clothes that look the best on me (high waisted jeans are just a no-no since I have no torso)

I was concerned about finding a wedding dress that I was comfortable in that wasn't too much of a challenge for the seamstress. My curve is mainly lumbar and my rib hump doesn't really bother me so it wasn't too bad. it took a few trips to the big bridal warehouses where I could try on all different styles and sizes to determine the style that I was comfortable in. I bought the dress and took it to my seamstress- no alterations- just a bustle.

My bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding was the true test. We had the dresses made. I felt so bad for the dress maker- she made my dress and I tried it on and it was so crooked and hung so badly. She took it off of me and went back to the drawing board- dropped the waist on it and did a bunch of other things and worked beautifully. I warned her...

Comment

Happy Anniversary Gerry & Adam!

You were an absolutely gorgeous bride. I love that picture too. You were just beautiful. What a wonderful story about Jay fixing the dress for free. He must have been a very special person.

I remember, 23 years ago, my wedding dress had to be custom fit around my crookedness. Like the last person said, my bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding (6 years ago) was just horrible. The bridal shop said they did all they could and I had to take it in TEARS to some wonderful chinese lady at a local cleaners who did wonders to it and made me look normal.

Thanks for sharing, and have a great anniversary.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

happy anniversary!

hi gerry! happy anniversary to you and adam...
                  that's funny that your wedding was in august! my mom's wedding was in august! my mom's anniversary is the 18th. i was the maid of honor in her wedding. what were your colors??? mom's colors were lilac and white.
                  we had gone through many ideas! first, silver and black, then green and white, then we thought about it for a day...and BOOM! lilac and white! i, myself thought it was rather hard to find things that were lilac- but we managed! i wanted the color to be a nice light pink and white... but, oh well. i was dressed up with beautiful hair- a crown, white high heels, AND A BEAUTIFUL lilac dress, that stuck to my curves, and flowed at the bottom. i had pretty diamond jewelry, and purple makeup on, to match the dress.
                  my mom had trouble with the dress to... and LOTS of it! she had to go through MANY alterations! but... she looked so pretty!
                  hope this gave you some comfort in knowing that not everyone's gonna have the easiest time with their dress... but, we get through! i could just imagine what my wedding's gonna be like! (that won't be for awhile tho. )
                  Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
                  I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
                  My curves were 30 and 31
                  I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
                  I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
                  I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
                  I want to meet some new people on this forum!
                  Don't be shy...
                  Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Happy Anniversary, Gerry! You were an exquisite bride.

I've been reading your posts, and as one fellow Catholic, I share your beliefs. I am six weeks post-op today and 59 years old. My surgery was very rough and at one point I didn't know if I was going to make it. But I went into this after much praying and putting all my trust in God and knowing that whatever happens in His plan for me even if that includes suffering.

All the best to you and your husband.

Chris

Comment

Happy Anniversary Gerry!

I hope you and your lucky husband have a good week of celebration!

Brad
                      2 Harrington rods
                      Luque method used
                      Dr David Bradford
                      Postop xray

Comment

hi brad-
                        my uncle's name is brad too, i think that's pretty funny!
                        i'm finding that this thread has alot in common with my family. lol
                        do you draw??? (i thought that you did because of your username)
                        Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
                        I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
                        My curves were 30 and 31
                        I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
                        I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
                        I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
                        I want to meet some new people on this forum!
                        Don't be shy...
                        Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Originally posted by sparklegirl59 View Post
                          hi brad-
                          my uncle's name is brad too, i think that's pretty funny!
                          i'm finding that this thread has alot in common with my family. lol
                          do you draw??? (i thought that you did because of your username)
                          Actually my user name has been my real life nick name for over 30 years. (I'm 37 now) When I was first going to school a cartoon called 'Quick Draw McGraw' was on tv, and since my last name in 'McGaw' the nickname was just given to me almost immediately. My oldest brother has the same nick name, but his is spelled 'Quick Draw' and I shortened mine. My middle brother is 'Tug', after a baseball player.

Brad
                          2 Harrington rods
                          Luque method used
                          Dr David Bradford
                          Postop xray

Comment

Dear Gerry,

Happy anniversary to you and Adam and hope your having a wonderful day.
                            May you have many celebrations to come. Thank you for sharing with us. You were a beautiful bride. I've had a lifetime of altering practically everything I wore, and it's comforting to know one is not alone in this frustration. With my new revision, I find that I can now wear more things and I'm resurrecting all kinds of clothes from my closet. Some alterations are still needed though.
                            Again, thank you Gerry and congratulations to you both. Rita

Comment

Thanks again.

Thanks to all of you who replied and complimented me on the wedding gown and wished Adam and me a Happy Anniversary. For us, it's just another day because we can't go out to dinner on the spur of the moment like we used to when we had the car. It's OK.....we have love in our hearts.

He used to write me the most wonderful letters from the time I met him until we married because I lived in central New York and he lived out here in western New York. But now, he is 82 yrs old and has been through open heart surgery about 7 years ago. I guess we got old.....hahahahha ....now we are happy if we get through the day. He can still make me cry the way he looks at me sometimes with such love.

I think I'll try to arrange something with our friend who takes us places, and see if we can go out to dinner Friday. We would love that.
                              TIMING IS EVERYTHING!

Comment

Working...
                              X