Saw my pulmonary doctor yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw my pulmonary doctor yesterday

I'm thinking of entering a program called Optimum Care (a spin off of Hospice), which is to help patients stay in their homes as long as possible. According to what I have been told, I can get help doing my laundry, tasks around the house, shopping, etc.....anything that causes me to get out of breath. If needed, I can get a walker, a wheelchair, anything I might need, free of charge, and have access 24/7 to doctors, nurses, anything I might need. That sounds very good to me.

I have been advised to continue using oxygen (2 ltr) all night, and whenever I am active (at least temporarily). After a little walk yesterday with the pulsor on my index finger, the number went down to 88 just walking a short distance slowly. Not good. I'll be getting more breathing tests next time I see the doctor, in 3 months.

I've had pneumonia twice in the last few months and will get my final x-ray in a week or so, to see if it's really gone.

Scoliosis is really the primary cause of all my breathing problems as I get older. Frankly, I don't think I'll be outliving my grandmother; she died at 83.

This old beloved curved back has served me well, I must say. And I thank God I have lived this long to meet all of you. My mother thought I would be dead by puberty.......but look! I am still here!!! :
    p
    TIMING IS EVERYTHING!

And its a good thing too! Stay around here as long as you like.

That Optimum Care thing sounds really good. Think a 37 year old could qualify?

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

That program sounds like a God send for you Gerry. How wonderful. You should take advantage of all they offer.

We also thank God that you lived this long so that we could meet you. You are a very special person.

Take care of yourself, ok? I'm looking forward to lots more of your posts.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks, friends.......I'm feeling quite comfortable here at the forum. I'll probably be checking in each day. No doubt you will see many posts by me in the future. - Oh, Brad, I don't think there is any age limit for the program I intend to get into......but it is for those who have chronic fatal diseases.
        TIMING IS EVERYTHING!

Comment

Do you think I can argue that life is fatal?

No I am not near the end yet, but things are frustrating at times. I am glad you came to the forums, I am a new member myself and am really enjoying myself with this bunch.

Brad
          2 Harrington rods
          Luque method used
          Dr David Bradford
          Postop xray

Comment

How many people actually post here regularly, Brad?
            TIMING IS EVERYTHING!

Comment

I don't really know. Susie would be a better person to ask. There are always people on the forums though, so there are probably more lurkers than posters, but there are a fair amount of people that post.
              2 Harrington rods
              Luque method used
              Dr David Bradford
              Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry View Post
                How many people actually post here regularly, Brad?
                I'm not Brad but I have formed an opinion about how many folks post regularly here. It's a small handful, at least compared to any other group, forum, etc. I have been following.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks for the information, Brad and Pooka1.....Seems like there would be an awful lot to say about a subject like this, but I know lots of people go to many other forums, too, so time is limited.
                  TIMING IS EVERYTHING!

Comment

Well, to tell the truth, when my twin daughters were diagnosed and I started posting here, I thought for sure there must be some other forum that must be hopping because this one has a very low posting rate.

I searched and searched and found one other of similar size and some of the same posters so it seemed like a wash.

If there is a Grand Central Station of scoliosis fora out there, I haven't found it yet.

I'm glad you joined here! We need posters.
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Gerry-- my uneducated guess would be there are fewer than 20 people who post on a regular basis, but many others who check in from time to time and post occasionally. And there are a lot of floaters who read but don't post-- both members and guests. I think some of them are fairly active in their reading, so they are an important part of the group too, getting information and support from those of us who do post, or doing searches and whatnot. If you look down at the bottom of the main page of the forum, you can see who the "currently active" users are-- like I just checked and you are online with the forum right now (although you may just be connected but not doing anything at the moment...) This doesn't show you who the invisible ones are--those people who don't wish to be listed. It's one of the choices you have in your control panel info.

And the program you can be part of sounds wonderful! I really hope that works out for you!
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                      X