Thank You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You

I wanted to send a BIG thank you to all those who share your experiences and stories. You help set my mind at ease and set my expectations of what to expect after surgery. I was not in a panic mode when i felt a weird ache, pain, sensation ... i knew whatever i felt was 'normal' and that help set my mind at ease.

Again, thank you for sharing your stories, it helps more than you know.

Does anyone has a problem with keeping warm after surgery? It's summer here, 84 degree with humidity and i am in my winter gear (socks, sweatshirt and pant) and will feel a chill every now and again.
    Last edited by mish; 07-24-2008, 04:07 PM.

I go back and forth, sometimes hot sometimes cold. So I just always keeps a long sleeved shirt and throw blanket around. Hubby thinks I'm weird when I'm all covered up and it in the upper 90's. It's worse then hot flashes, they only bothered me occasionally It's not so bad now. Good luck
    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
    (left open with just clear dressing)
    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Mish, my surgery was 7/3 and I'm experiencing problems with being too cold, and too hot. When I get cold (and it feels down to the core) I crawl under the covers with a fleece on, and it can take 30 mins or more before I get warm. Even on 75 degree days I'm often wearing a fleece jacket unless I'm sitting in the sun. On the other end, I apparently am taking showers with luke warm water, so my family says. Anything anything warmer hurts my skin. There was a thread on this about 2-3 months ago on being cold - you can search for it, but the net is that many people do experience the extreme cold. One suggestion is to use an electric blanket. I don't have one, so it's fleece and a down throw for me.

I don't remember a discussion thread re: if/when people get over this temperature thing....?

Bundle up!

Lisa
      Lisa, Portland, OR
      49 y.o.
      46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
      L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
      Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
      T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Comment

I'm 8 weeks post-op and I was the opposite. I was so hot in the hospital and at home. I'm still that way to some degree, but it's definitely a lot less. I hope this passes for everyone as it is annoying.

Shell
        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
        2003- 33 degrees
        2005- 37 degrees
        2006- 44 degrees
        May 2007- 47 degrees
        December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
        Fused T1 to L2
        Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

I'm 6 weeks post-op and had the whole hot/cold thing going until about a week ago. I still get chilled occasionally, but discover it's after I come into the air conditioning after being outside in the 100+ degrees and I've gotten sweaty under my brace. Once I change my shirt, I'm fine.

Hang in there!
          Becky, 46 years old
          Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
          Ignored until 448/07
          Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
          Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
          Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
          Fused T-10 to L-5
          14 titanium pedicle screws
          Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
          Email

Comment

LOL ... one of the MANY items on my massive pre-op list was "get an electric blanket". I borrowed one, and it was the best thing ever.

Not only did it help to keep my muscles relaxed at night, I was COLD for about 6 weeks after surgery. I have a king sized bed, and just borrowed a twin sized blanket ... would also work well if you don't sleep alone .

Regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Rehab was always cold with the A/C on. In my room, i cracked open a window to let the cold air out and warm air in. I had sweater, fleece, sweatshirt and socks on 24/7.

I thought being home will be a bit warmer (no A/C), but surprisingly, i am still cold

Comment

Hi Mish! Just wanted to add an echo that the surgery does seem to get the body temperature regulator out of kilter... but it does get better! Just bundle up in the meantime. I tended to have more hot flashes myself, rather than chills-- but maybe that was from the added challenge of the brace I wore for 4.5 months post-op.

I read in that other thread (re: polio) that you are now 5 weeks post-op and are no longer in rehab, but that's not because you "graduated" from needing it. Sorry you were denied any further time there. Do you live with someone who is helping you now? I just feel a bit concerned, since you said you were still having problems getting around. I hope you are making more progress now. Keep us posted on how you are doing! I think it's great that you are up to posting now! Susie
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hot then cold then hot then cold.
                  Everyone thinks I'm crazy.

p

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee
                    Hi Mish! Just wanted to add an echo that the surgery does seem to get the body temperature regulator out of kilter... but it does get better! Just bundle up in the meantime. I tended to have more hot flashes myself, rather than chills-- but maybe that was from the added challenge of the brace I wore for 4.5 months post-op.

I read in that other thread (re: polio) that you are now 5 weeks post-op and are no longer in rehab, but that's not because you "graduated" from needing it. Sorry you were denied any further time there. Do you live with someone who is helping you now? I just feel a bit concerned, since you said you were still having problems getting around. I hope you are making more progress now. Keep us posted on how you are doing! I think it's great that you are up to posting now! Susie
                    My surgery was 3 parts, Anterior on Monday, Posterior on Tuesday, lots of blood loss, so the doctor couldn't finish on Tuesday, instead, it was completed on Friday.

I live with my parents, they are able to help with meals and getting me things i need, and the basic care. Since i can't climb stairs, i am staying on the main level of the house, it has 1/2 a bath - very tiny - wheelchair and walker do not fit, even sideway, i have no room to turn the walker. Getting in there is a struggle.

The team at Rehab felt my recovery is slow, and they were going to send me to acute care (pretty much a nursing home), they said insurance denied request for an extended stay, as the average stay in rehab is about a month. PT and i worked hard to get me to walk about 2-3 feet w/ a walker, but i am able to take a few steps and my back hurts, but they felt i should be able to manage fine at home.

I bundle up and in the morning woke up to a pool of sweat
                    Last edited by mish; 07-24-2008, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X