A Triumph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Triumph

I had my six-month follow-up today. I'm healing well, I still have some pain, but amazingly on lots of days I have none! This is a huge change from pre-op. My surgeon looked at my x-rays, and said "looks like there's been no change"... *insert random chatter here* and then... "I don't think I need to see you again unless there are any problems".... !!!!
    For me, that is a triumph. While I know I have a long journey ahead of me, and there are lots of things that 'could' happen... Its nice to know that I am for the first time in my life, not on the actively monitored for scoliosis progression list. I'm not counting my chickens... but YAY! I have been seeing my surgeon every year or couple of years since I was a teen. He said since I looked so shocked that he will give me a follow up in two years, but that's really only for my own benefit.

So... what else is happening in my life? Well, I'm back at the gym, and I hired a trainer to help me keep motivated and on track (I'm not wealthy, I just thought it was important enough to try and keep strong).
    I'm working on my thesis, which is tough work to stay motivated.
    My mum is recovering from yet another cancer op, but is doing really well and the prognosis is good. It's just one of those ones that they chop out on a regular basis.

I felt really nervous going in to see the surgeon today, and even though the outcome was good, I still felt a bit down. I think it's more about, I wish I never had this, I don't want to go through this on a regular basis, and I'm sick of hospitals, doctors, and pain. Hopefully the pain is nearly over. I really just had a bad couple of days which I think were tied in with mums surgery and the worry with that. I have noticed if I am stressed or upset the pain is worse. Until mum's cancer was diagnosed I was feeling pretty amazing. Sometimes, it is hard to be brave and stay positive, even when the news is all good.
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

YEAH!!! for the news from your doctor! Sounds like you are doing fabulous. Good for you on getting a trainer.

I hope things also work out well for your mom. That does sound stressful, for anyone. She will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

woo hoo!

nz-- that's great news from your doctor! You've been through so much-- and for such a long time! I'm so glad he's given you the "all clear" -- but am also glad he'll be checking on you in two years-- so you will feel really good again then!

I am sorry to hear about your mother, and I will be praying for her too. Can I ask what kind of cancer? You can PM me if you'd rather not post, or it's ok if you'd rather not say. Since I am a cancer survivor (melanoma) I always wonder.

I'm so proud of you for your hard work both at the gym (and how clever you are to insure that you really work out there--and correctly too-- by paying for a trainer!) and for being diligent in your thesis work. You DO have a lot of things going on-- and a lot of stress, so try to be a bit easy on yourself from time to time. And remember that being brave and strong doesn't mean you can't let your emotions surface too. It just means you regroup and face the enemy again...

Isn't it funny how so many of us feel nervous when it's time to go for a check-up with our scoli docs??? I am sure it's because we know there could be words we don't want to hear... but usually there aren't, I think. I'm already getting fleeting flashes of thought/anxiety, that I try to quickly smother-- and my appointment isn't till Sept. 4. No point in "crossing those bridges" if they may all be imaginary! And if they exist, we'll be able to handle them at that time, just like you did with your revision surgery. See-- you inspire me-- and others too, I'm sure. You handled it all so well, and with a great attitude! Keep on the way you've been doing, and you'll do great!

Keep us posted about how you're doing-- and about your mum too. Hugs, Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi, thanks for your kind words :-)
        My mum has osteochondrosarcoma, which is usually found on femur bones but she has been getting it growing in her abdomen, which is a highly unusual presentation of it (unheard of before her).

Although I am feeling good, I have been fighting the urge to take a formal break from my studies, I think it's partly because here it is the depths of winter (thankfully where I live it doesn't usually get below zero degrees celcius) and rainy. But we just don't really have the option of a holiday at the moment, especially since I'm trying to claw my way back to where I should be to graduate on time.

Anyway, must go...
        1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
        2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
        2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
        Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
        msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

I am so glad to hear you are doing better. Fight the insurance company! Ugh..HMOs are the scourge of the earth!!!! Your correction is amazing!!!
          28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
          1998 22T/20L
          2002 30T/28L
          2006 34T/28L
          2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

Sounds like you're doing great! Glad you'll get a break from Doc visits for a bit, but that he'll still keep tabs on you. Sorry to hear about your mum, but glad they found it. You'll both be in my prayers.
            2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
            surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
            Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
            5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
            5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
            6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
            (left open with just clear dressing)
            6/6/08 recleaned and closed
            3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Working...
            X