follow up for infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• follow up for infection

I had deep wound staph aureus infection, was treated for 6 weeks with IV Nafcillin. I was expecting to switch to an oral antibiotic and have blood work done at my Friday appt with infectious disease Dr( not the one who treated me in the hospital). This guy acted like I had a little boo-boo ( had no idea as to what my surgery entailed, said he had none of my previous lab work-last blood drawn was 6/24) I even bug him about getting follow up blood work. He finally reluctantly agreed to it for Oct. Does this sound reasonable or should I be concerned and push for earlier testing? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
    (left open with just clear dressing)
    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Hi Sharon, I have absolutlely no experience with what you are going through with the infection, but I think I would demand another test soon. You've been through so much, and I think you deserve a "clean bill of health" to put your mind at ease. It's no skin off the docs back for you to get another test... That's my two cents worth. I'll be curious what those with experience might say. Hang in there, you still have such a great attitude after so much. You are an insipration to all!

Lisa
    Lisa, Portland, OR
    49 y.o.
    46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
    L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
    Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
    T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Comment

The description of your visit with this new Dr. makes my blood boil. Not only would I want follow up blood test prior to October, I'd look for another infectious disease Dr. Is there someone else in your area? Who does your surgeon recommend? This guy sounds like a jerk.

Good luck, and we'll see what those with experience have to say.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Sharon-- I have to agree with the others that this doctor sounds like a real turkey. Can you trade him in for a better model? Can you also contact your doctor (surgeon) and explain that this dude doesn't seem to get the picture... maybe it could be a matter of your surgeon talking to him or faxing him or something, so he could understand the severity of your infection and what you've been through-- and how important it is to monitor your situation. Or maybe your surgeon would refer you to someone else.

I definitely don't think it sounds ok AT ALL to wait until October. I would really get with your surgeon on this. This is no time to let it slide by because this infectious disease doctor isn't "with it" with your case; your health is at stake here.

Wish I could give you some real hugs, but this will have to work... (((hugs))) Susie
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi...

I think there may be two things at play here. First, I believe there is a shortage of infectious disease MDs. Second, the ID docs have to deal with MRSA infections every day. While they are more serious than what you've had, you don't deserve to be treated like it was no big deal. I'd tell you to try to find another doctor, but I doubt that would be an easy feat.

I wonder if you can make an end-run around the doc. Your insurance company would almost certainly prefer that you be on oral antibiotics, as they're probably a lot less expensive. Perhaps you can contact them.

Good luck.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I spoke with Dr Anderson asst today(he was in surgery all day). She was not happy with my treatment by this guy and will speak with Dr Anderson tomorrow. We were all under the impression(Anderson, Tuma-plastic surgeon and home health care) that I would be seeing Dr Measley who treated me at Thomas Jefferson-He is considered VERY good. But for some reason the follow-up visit(made by the infamous rehab) was with a different Dr in the practice(there are about 8 of them). So I am hoping to get more positive results tomorrow. I've been running low grade fevers up to 101.8 since Saturday night. Told just use ice packs to bring it down, if I hit 102 head straight for emergency room. I know I've been over doing it some the past few days(too much ironing- I was sitting down though, and cooking enough french toast and bacon for 6 people, shredding zukes for cake-did not finish baking,along with a bit too much cleaning and 3 days down center city for DR appt) I guess I'm a bit beat and Very Sore
            2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
            5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5

Comment

Sweetie, you have to stop that!

Sharon-- you are really overdoing it!!! That is way too much for you to be doing at this point in time, and even more so with your problems. BTW--I'm glad I taught my daughters all how to iron -- just throw the clothes in the dryer for a few minutes, add a little dampness if need be to get out bad wrinkles. We do that well. But really, all joking aside-- you are going to need to take better care of yourself. Your family needs to be doing most of the cooking and the ironing (if it's actually necessary!) and things like that-- and no cleaning! (Except maybe some really light stuff...) The world will still revolve without you doing all that! Honest!

I'm so glad to hear that you got a positive response from your surgeon's office. Keep us posted with what happens-- and in the meantime, please just rest for awhile. Sending hugs and love, Susie

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Good, I'm glad things are headed in the right direction. I don't know though Sharon, you're not that far out from surgery and having these problems,...and well, you're IRONING!!! Are you MAD Girlie???? You need to rest and take care of yourself and tell them all to eat cereal instead of french toast and bacon!! You silly goose!!

I hope you can get in to see the Good Dr. soon. ((Hugs))

Love,
                Debbe

Comment

Sharon, Sharon, Sharon, what are we going to do with you?!?!?!? If you will go back and check out the 'Post-Op Med Survey' thread, you'll see that I discovered, with the help of some very smart people on this forum, that the house will not fall down around your ears, nobody will run around the house naked and absolutely no one will starve! I'd love to attach a link to the thread to make things easy for you, but due to my lack of computer knowledge I'm unable to do so.

Seriously though, Sharon, you really do have to give yourself some time to heal. This surgery, when it's textbook with no complications, is MAJOR but when you add the extra challenges you're facing, it's all your body can stand up to just to heal. Take it easy, get lots of rest and let your family take care of you. It will all be there later!
                  Becky, 46 years old
                  Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                  Ignored until 448/07
                  Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                  Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                  Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                  Fused T-10 to L-5
                  14 titanium pedicle screws
                  Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                  Email

Comment

well maybe if some of the guys(adult sons) around here read this they'll realize that just cause I can cook doesn't mean I should always cook. problem with ironing, I don't have a dryer- things dry very wrinkly and stiff, i'll just have to try to stick to knits I guess, but I stopped doing sons ironing months ago-it doesn't seem to bother them, just me
                    Thanx to all of you for helping me feel not guilty about doing everything. I guess the best way to heal is more walk-less work. I'll will try to make that my goal.
                    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5

Comment

back in the hospital...

I received an email from Sharon's husband late last night, saying Sharon is in the hospital. They went to ER the night before--and then she was admitted to the hospital. She has infection again, this time in her upper back. He says it's not as bad as before. They ran a lot of tests yesterday and did an MRI. There's a meeting today -- surgeons and infectious disease doctors, to decide what course to take. He said "best case" is strong oral antibiotics and being sent home-- of course there's the possibility of more surgery. Right now they have her in the hospital to monitor her and provide pain management. He'll know more later today. I just wanted to let you all know what's happening-- so you can be thinking of her-- or praying for her.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Oh the poor girl. I hope this infection can be treated easily and goes away quickly. She is in my thoughts and prayers.

Oh, and when she gets home I will tell her that if she doesn't lay off the iron, I'll drive down there and take it away from her. Or give her sons some good ironing lessons.

Susie, thanks for letting us know what's going on.

Comment

Poor Sharon!!! She just isn't strong enough to be doing all she was doing....

I need to give her MY ironing tips: Fold clothes nice & neat, put them in the computer chair seat, sit on them while checking the NSF forum .... when I finish they are really pressed.....lol...

I hope her family will realize her fragility now and give her some recovery time.

Comment

Oh no!! I hope this gets under control soon.

That ironing would just have to go!!!
                            Becky
                            Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
                            Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Susie*Bee, thanks for the update on Sharon. I just don't understand why some people have so many complications...and other's none. I will be praying for Sharon. Lisa
                              Lisa, Portland, OR
                              49 y.o.
                              46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
                              L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
                              Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
                              T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Comment

Working...
                              X